Lord Fellatio Nelson

DL Status Updates: Statements, Obsevations & Verbal Tennis

OK I was going to put my plane pictures here but I cannot find away to copy them into the post.

I am sure I have managed to post pictures before when we were doing the form guide I just copied and pasted.

Any clues?

OK I was going to put my plane pictures here but I cannot find away to copy them into the post.

I am sure I have managed to post pictures before when we were doing the form guide I just copied and pasted.

Any clues?

I just upload the pictures to Postimage then copy and paste the link into the post.

Any clues?

I just upload the pictures to Postimage then copy and paste the link into the post.

I have taken your advice. This is the plane that flew me from Birmingham to Frankfurt taken from the bus just after landing

I was browsing through my great-great grandfathers census records the other day and happened across an unusual place of birth for him in one of the returns.

I Googled it and found a wonderful article online and emailed the authoress; she replied:

He was almost certainly born in this cottage in 1830:

cottage.jpg
Here's what it looks like now:
This is your great-great-great grandparents' grave:

joe.jpg
Don't you just love the interwebbywotnot thing?

What year were you born, if I ever run out of steam on my own family tree I could use this information to track down you're real name and where you were born!

I must add, I love looking at old census records, and more hilariously the modern transcribers poor efforts. Infant death was far too common back then as well - heartbreaking read some of the records of such incidents.

Oh and I'll spare you my rant about how expensive BMD certs are and how they should be able to provided cheaper certified copies as legislated for

About £7-£12 a pop up here depending on what you want, as we found out trying to get a copy of my great-grandfathers death certificate. (It was a common name, we were down to three options in the end, so had to order all 3 - luckily, one was right!)

Mind you, I have a long deceased relative who has records under five different names online because her handwriting was so awful, different people keep making different guesses at her name.

About £7-£12 a pop up here depending on what you want, as we found out trying to get a copy of my great-grandfathers death certificate. (It was a common name, we were down to three options in the end, so had to order all 3 - luckily, one was right!)

Mind you, I have a long deceased relative who has records under five different names online because her handwriting was so awful, different people keep making different guesses at her name.

The GRO charges £9.20 and postage - which isn't too bad until you realise to fullify explore a branch of your family tree you need a death, marriage and birth certificate for both partners in a marriage, then you may well need marriage certificates for ex-wives to verify names or you might need birth certificates of siblings (unless you're lucky enough to have parish records transcribed or are able to get down to the local record office for where they were born). Oh and often to easily access the record indexes (with no actual records) you're paying by the month anyway.

And then you get the helpful ancestors who've been extremely vague in filling out form locations and have common names.

A good site for those of you who are into genealogy is here - loads of helpful folk.

BMD certificates are a cash cow for the councils.

One of the best occupations I came across was 'safe-breaker - not criminal'

Talking of criminal, I couldn't find my great-granddad's name alongside his wife and kids in the 1881 census; turned out he was living somewhere else at the time, along with his brother and a lot of other people. Queen Victoria was their landlady:

image.jpg

• Like 1

The GRO charges £9.20 and postage - which isn't too bad until you realise to fullify explore a branch of your family tree you need a death, marriage and birth certificate for both partners in a marriage, then you may well need marriage certificates for ex-wives to verify names or you might need birth certificates of siblings (unless you're lucky enough to have parish records transcribed or are able to get down to the local record office for where they were born). Oh and often to easily access the record indexes (with no actual records) you're paying by the month anyway.

And then you get the helpful ancestors who've been extremely vague in filling out form locations and have common names.

A good site for those of you who are into genealogy is here - loads of helpful folk.

Ancestry is a useful website too, but its search engine is a bit wonky at times. "No, Ancestry.co.uk, I'm pretty sure that's not my grandfather. No, if my grandfather had lived in Accrington and died fifteen years ago, I think I might have remembered it. Next option? Emigrated to New Orleans in 1970? Behave!"

• Like 1

Ancestry is a useful website too, but its search engine is a bit wonky at times. "No, Ancestry.co.uk, I'm pretty sure that's not my grandfather. No, if my grandfather had lived in Accrington and died fifteen years ago, I think I might have remembered it. Next option? Emigrated to New Orleans in 1970? Behave!"

I think ancestry hints work on the throw enough punches and one will hit the ear basis. They can be utterly hilarious. Grandad born and bred in x with birth record already attached "birth hint for grandad in USA"! The other one I love is tree hints, somebody elses half-assed tree that has loads of names on despite obvious contradictions is not accurate! Peoples tendency to assume illegitimacy or that everyone with a single surname prior to 1911 and in the same town is brother and sister and leave it at that being the worst culprit, check for previous/similar name marriages motherfuckers.

I suppose it seems only natural that deathlisters, who have a natural curiosity about peoples achievements and history would be inclined to genealogy.

Any clues?

I have taken your advice. This is the plane that flew me from Birmingham to Frankfurt taken from the bus just after landing

Phone_Aug_16_034.jpg

FTFY :)

• Like 1

I always try and get certificates from the local registrar, rather than the GRO. It's no cheaper, but they are often more helpful and will search for the right one based on any info you can give them.

Also they have the actual original documents, and some will send you a copy of it if it can be scanned. (Not all the books are in a suitable condition for scanning though.) The GRO has no access to the originals, and can only send you a copy of the transcript that was sent to them by the local registrars. I like to see my relatives' own signatures, if they could sign their names. Useful if you want to compare with a signature on another document, especially in the case of common names.

You can sometimes cut corners with marriages, as the same certificate will be found in the parish register. So if you know where they married, you can get a copy from the county archives.

I always try and get certificates from the local registrar, rather than the GRO. It's no cheaper, but they are often more helpful and will search for the right one based on any info you can give them.

Also they have the actual original documents, and some will send you a copy of it if it can be scanned. (Not all the books are in a suitable condition for scanning though.) The GRO has no access to the originals, and can only send you a copy of the transcript that was sent to them by the local registrars. I like to see my relatives' own signatures, if they could sign their names. Useful if you want to compare with a signature on another document, especially in the case of common names.

You can sometimes cut corners with marriages, as the same certificate will be found in the parish register. So if you know where they married, you can get a copy from the county archives.

A lot of records are scanned into online archives now by volunteer armies or commercial operations.

For BMDs since certification isn't exactly the same record?

Death certificates are $21 a pop in the county my father died in - had to get one recently. Birth certificates are the same, I believe. My state of New York birth certificate is $45. Genealogical documentation can be problematic here because census records aren't released for 72 years and each state has different laws governing the release of vital records.

I have more luck in Italy than I do in the states. My paternal family is Italian, and I have found that well planned donations to the church go a long way toward seeing parish records in Italy. It's a good thing the church is there because Italy's historic problems maintaining governments - or, in fact, being Italy - causes governmental record keeping to suck beyond the telling.

• Like 1

A lot of records are scanned into online archives now by volunteer armies or commercial operations.

For BMDs since certification isn't exactly the same record?

Parish records, yes. You obviously don't get the same info for baptisms and burials as you do on the certificate, but marriages are the same. There be two books, one for the parish register and one for the registrar*, and they are both filled out and signed at the same time. So the parish register copy shows the same details as you would see on the certificate.

*not before 1837, obviously

A rare personal post, but after a few weeks of worry, my mum has gotten the all-clear on a cancer scare. I am much relieved, to say the least.

• Like 5

A rare personal post, but after a few weeks of worry, my mum has gotten the all-clear on a cancer scare. I am much relieved, to say the least.

Good news MSC! Hope your mum continues to thrive.

• Like 1

Good news MSC! Hope your mum continues to thrive.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Sitting at pub I always announce latest deaths, some old man next to me I just found out works at the crematorium! He's told me all the ins and outs how it's done, how he got the job, statistics and procedures. Very interesting conversation. Enlightening

SirC

• Like 1

8:55 tomorrow morning I'm flying from Rzeszow to Warsaw, than at 11:55 from Warsaw to Chicago O'Hare.

• Like 1

8:55 tomorrow morning I'm flying from Rzeszow to Warsaw, than at 11:55 from Warsaw to Chicago O'Hare.

Early start for Cat.

• Like 2

Early start for Cat.

As I said to Bibliogryphon, "every weekend from Friday afternoon to Sunday tea-time my house gets totally taken over by my two nephews and their mate. They're up all night stealing cars, robbing people, killing zombies and playing football; I bugger off to bed and leave them to it. Hence, I'm normally up early.

• Like 4

Early start for Cat.

As I said to Bibliogryphon, "every weekend from Friday afternoon to Sunday tea-time my house gets totally taken over by my two nephews and their mate. They're up all night stealing cars, robbing people, killing zombies and playing football; I bugger off to bed and leave them to it. Hence, I'm normally up early.

Maybe get their parents to look after them?

Early start for Cat.

Maybe get their parents to look after them?

not-available.gifnot-available.gifnot-available.gifrolling.gif

• Like 1

Early start for Cat.

We should all be thankful for the educational values of the Nintendo corporation.

• Like 2

I am flying back from my first trip to Africa today. I have been in Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia. It has rained everyday I have been here which was unexpected but apparently Addis is much higher than most of Africa. However it has been warm though the local don't think so they have wondered why we are not cold when we turn up to meetings in shirts when they are wearing jumpers, scarves and jackets. I understanding things are warming up back in blighty.