InquilineKea

World War II Veterans

And I'll throw this into the mixer....

Russia and Japan never signed a treaty, so technically WW2 is still extant.

So a boy in their forces today is a WW2 veteran.....

I'm sure there are more examples than that, NK & USA from the Korean War?

• Like 1

Sir Creep, I think that your maths has gone a bit AWOL there. A 16 year old combatant in 1945 has a 1929 birthdate so to reach 2040 he will need to make 111. I think that is quite likely. All your other points however I concur with.

Its fucking "arithmetic" ffs.........

21 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Who'll die first @charon or the last next ww2 vet.

FTFY

Fuck up the pair of youz....

And MK the @ feature doesn't work on normal folk who turn it off in settings, so you are a bigger retard than I thought.

@The Mad Hatter

32 minutes ago, charon said:

Fuck up the pair of youz....

And MK the @ feature doesn't work on normal folk who turn it off in settings, so you are a bigger retard than I thought.

@The Mad Hatter

How the fuck was I supposed to know that you raging autist.

Got to love a bit of verbal jousting, on a thread for war vets, how apt ! 

2 hours ago, Cruyff's Turn said:

Sir Creep, I think that your maths has gone a bit AWOL there. A 16 year old combatant in 1945 has a 1929 birthdate so to reach 2040 he will need to make 111. I think that is quite likely. All your other points however I concur with.

My Dad turned 16 in 1945 but he was enrolled for national service which he did in Palestine after the end of the war. He is not a WWII vet.

1 hour ago, The Mad Hatter said:

How the fuck was I supposed to know that you raging autist.

Why, you assume other folk are not as retarded as yourself, and will have turned it off.

Not fucking rocket science Kid, dog whistles are for dogs, and then stupid ones at that.

5 hours ago, charon said:

Hmmmm.

Kinda fits in here I suppose re the current argument.

Been looking out old lists of Norn Loyalists, mainly UVF cuntos, for any resumption of Orange on Orange violence when Brexit hits. There's a full team of possibles, including Adair/Adair's wife & Bunter Graham the prick & Michael Stone.

There's still a few Shankhill Butchers above ground, and John Townsley (pikey obviously) was 14 when he 'enlisted'.

Does that make him less a veteran SC?

As per Don McGuire's (of the Hilltoppers) obit posted today:
"The young men recorded their first hit, “Trying,” in Van Meter Auditorium while they were students at WKU. In a 2016 KET documentary, McGuire, who was the last surviving member of the quartet, recalled there were just 12 people in the room for the recording, though, “to this day, nearly a quarter-million people have claimed to be in there.”

Like Black Lives, verification matters.  I'm sure you can trot out the next 'Oh I was there' 'Oh..oh and me too!"... 
Sans proper enlistment, yes, it makes him less a veteran and more a drunkard.
SC

• Like 1

Lolled at this on fb today.

12187784_10205665871061337_3573496723733

Aye ye murdering Nazi fucker, I'm sure thousands of surviving civilians in France and Germany really want you to see Xmas.

Absolute scumball.

There are literally 1000s of living WWII vets.  I can post an obit if you like every third day if we are just going to post everyone who participated regardless of rank.  Virtually every male over 90 was probably a WWII vet if you read through their obits.  Discretion is the better part of valor.

SC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

There are literally 1000s of living WWII vets.  I can post an obit if you like every third day if we are just going to post everyone who participated regardless of rank.  Virtually every male over 90 was probably a WWII vet if you read through their obits.  Discretion is the better part of valor.

SC

And here I was thinking you might take an interest in this particular gentleman as he has a Michigan connection, albeit the trip to Washington was a mitigating factor in including him, too.  Otherwise, I probably would've passed on posting. 

8 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Virtually every male over 90 was probably a WWII vet if you read through their obits

Either they're over 90 or they've got an obit.....

Though ofc I know what you mean.

My Great Uncle was born in July 1926 and was too young too fight.In Britain conscription age was 19.Another Great Uncle of mine born in January 1925 said he was 3 years older and was accepted into the navy at 16.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it is fairer to say most men 95 or older were probably war veterans.

10 hours ago, Sean said:

My Great Uncle was born in July 1926 and was too young too fight.In Britain conscription age was 19.Another Great Uncle of mine born in January 1925 said he was 3 years older and was accepted into the navy at 16.

None of my family served in WW2. WW1 produced such a wipeout that pretty much all of them were too old or too young. My uncle was a conscientious objector and went to prison instead. (He was a great man, no longer with us.) Another uncle would have been the right age, only he was allowed to join up in 1917 and died in action aged 12 or 13. My great-grandfather was gassed and shot and left for dead during WW1, but rescued by a POW stretcher party. These facts are in the wrong order, but are linked.

3 hours ago, msc said:

None of my family served in WW2. WW1 produced such a wipeout that pretty much all of them were too old or too young. My uncle was a conscientious objector and went to prison instead. (He was a great man, no longer with us.) Another uncle would have been the right age, only he was allowed to join up in 1917 and died in action aged 12 or 13. My great-grandfather was gassed and shot and left for dead during WW1, but rescued by a POW stretcher party. These facts are in the wrong order, but are linked.

Bloody hell msc - that's a rough collection. The key question in the circle of life is was the family tree beneath your great grandfather that you are a part of already in place before the gassed and shot and left for dead bit or did he manage to create that after being rescued?

Just now, Grim Up North said:

Bloody hell msc - that's a rough collection. The key question in the circle of life is was the family tree beneath your great grandfather that you are a part of already in place before the gassed and shot and left for dead bit or did he manage to create that after being rescued?

His oldest child - the aforementioned Conscientious Objector - was born in 1922.

If not for those German POWs risking their life, my entire branch of the family tree wouldn't exist.

Funny thing, perspective!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Sean said:

Strangely enough, I was looking at an online picture of my parents headstone at the weekend (15 years since last visit).

Your post answers a question.

For all I know re WW2, I never knew Conscription was 19. I thought it 18.

I knew my dad didn't fight in the War, and never asked 'why'?

* they died in 79, gravestone says in 54th year, so 1926 looks likely for YoB.

6 minutes ago, charon said:

Strangely enough, I was looking at an online picture of my parents headstone at the weekend (15 years since last visit).

Your post answers a question.

For all I know re WW2, I never knew Conscription was 19. I thought it 18.

I knew my dad didn't fight in the War, and never asked 'why'?

* they died in 79, gravestone says in 54th year, so 1926 looks likely for YoB.

If yer fussed... since we're in a civilised country, every Birth record from 17-something or other is all in the same database you can check online for free (though it costs to order the actual certificates obv) if you just wanted to know years of folks birth.

Obv if they had a name like, say, Duncan Campbell, not so helpful free...

My grandfather fought for the UK in WW2. He was born in 1926 and only 18 when the war ended. Sadly he died in 2012.

4 minutes ago, msc said:

If yer fussed... since we're in a civilised country, every Birth record from 17-something or other is all in the same database you can check online for free (though it costs to order the actual certificates obv) if you just wanted to know years of folks birth.

Obv if they had a name like, say, Duncan Campbell, not so helpful free...

:D:D:D not a Campbell, no cunto trusts a Campbell.

* tho from their town.

Nah, not fussed to find out, had been asked, obviously never knew even month of birth etc so had a swatch at the grave.

My elder sis, apparently has done a family tree to show all the Plantation activity and said she'd send me it.

That was 18 months ago.

And nowt at all since a birthday text at start of the Year.

** she's more prolific than me at contact tbf, and I've had zero contact with one bro in 12 years, and the other in 18. No grief, just not got around to it.

• Like 1