Vinegar Tits

Curse Of The Eurovision

Personally I go with what staging they have because you can do amazing things in a music video but then be average to mediocre on stage. It's why I like Finland's entry so much.

• Like 1

Sounds like two of my personal favourites, Croatia and Ireland :devil: have quite the bit of momentum. Maybe I'm too mainstream?

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Sounds like two of my personal favourites, Croatia and Ireland :devil: have quite the bit of momentum. Maybe I'm too mainstream?

I can't decide on the Irish entry if it is just the right side of crazy to appeal to the Eurovision audience or slightly too far out.

It would not surprise me if it didn't qualify for the final

• Like 1

As an aside, Mike Nolan of Bucks Fizz (now The Fizz) is leaving the group.

I see he expressed the whole travelling to gigs stuff getting him down, but also "personal reasons".

Well, they are cracking on, time for him to "slow it down".

• Like 2

I notice that the Semi-Final tonight is actually on BBC1.

Previously I am sure it has been on BBC3/4

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I notice that the Semi-Final tonight is actually on BBC1.

Previously I am sure it has been on BBC3/4

Guessing it's in part because of the Big 5 taking part in the semis (although already qualified)

https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovision-2024-semi-final-running-orders-revealed

Olly Alexander performing tonight

• Like 1

Olly's performance at the semi final - very very poor.

A triumph of backing dancers and staging over singer and song. Dreadful as predicted.

Never really listened to the song before, didn't know it was a Pet Shop Boys rip off, especially It's a Sin.

• Like 2

It's better than last years performance.

Meanwhile Ireland needs an exorcism.

• Haha 1

I only listen to the UK's entry and like go into the live final blind. I've been listening to Olly for 10 years (you could say years and years) however. The songs have been good but he's never been a great singer or a likeable, charismatic performer. I fear this could be his downfall.

• Like 2

Irish one strikes me as being one of those really weird ones that either ends up doing really well or coming absolutely nowhere

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Olly's performance at the semi final - very very poor.

A triumph of backing dancers and staging over singer and song. Dreadful as predicted.

Yeah I was more focused on the backing dancers too.

• Haha 1

They mentioned that their thoughts are with Hugo of Nicole and Hugo. Then they did a long tribute to him. 

Sad that Iceland. Poland and Australia didn’t make it. 
Happy that Cyprus, Lithuania, Ukraine, Croatia, Finland, Portugal and Luxembourg did. 
Unhappy that Serbia, Ireland and Slovenia qualified.

I also enjoyed the UK’a entry but not so much Germany or Sweden’s. 

I liked Australia's one mainly for them having an aboriginal person in and using their music style.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I only listen to the UK's entry and like go into the live final blind. I've been listening to Olly for 10 years (you could say years and years) however. The songs have been good but he's never been a great singer or a likeable, charismatic performer. I fear this could be his downfall.

This isn't going down well either.

“I have an ambivalent relationship with like the Union Jack and what that represents to people because it can feel divisive, it can feel nationalist.”

Of course it's nationalist, it's a fucking national flag!  Isn't representing your country nationalist?  What a hypocrite.

• Like 1

Ireland and the UK had the two worst entries by far. Both performers also happen to be extremely unlikable.

• Like 2

Sad that Albania and Czechia didn’t make it. 
Happy that Greece, Switzerland, Austria, Armenia, Latvia, Estonia, Israel nd Netherlands did.
Unhappy that Georgia and Norway did. 

Fair result overall (although Armenia qualified? - See Ireland).

Thought Czechia might squeeze a place but it was not to be - good song, but again a poor vocal performance cost them I believe, like it did for Poland last semi.

I'll never tire of Herreys - still probably my favourite winner and glad to see them wheeled out again. 40 years. Where did all that time go? :sherlock:

Olly is a great performer but not consistent vocally and can be hit and miss. I think an issue is that he sounds great in the arena, but the vocals are more easily identifiable as weak over broadcast. See how the jury performance goes tomorrow, but if it’s performed well tomorrow and on the night he could hit top 15.

Switzerland or Croatia’s to lose at this point I think. Netherlands could sneak it via the televote. I love gay Christmas.

• Like 3

Italian TV said Israel got 39% of the public vote there. If that is related Europe wide they will top the televote and will probably win if they get above 150 with the juries. 

5 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Olly is a great performer but not consistent vocally and can be hit and miss. I think an issue is that he sounds great in the arena, but the vocals are more easily identifiable as weak over broadcast. See how the jury performance goes tomorrow, but if it’s performed well tomorrow and on the night he could hit top 15.

Switzerland or Croatia’s to lose at this point I think. Netherlands could sneak it via the televote. I love gay Christmas.

Nothing can be as bad  as 2011 where Lee Ryan messed up the jury performance badly and it caused Blue to get 22nd with the juries but 5th with the public. 

5 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

I agree.

Though if Finland entered last year's entry again they would smash this lot. :lol: Though this year's is probably Top 10.

Who thought Estonia would progress? Honestly, you break out a dance routine and that swings what was a dismal vocal for the most part.

On 08/05/2024 at 02:35, ladyfiona said:

I liked Australia's one mainly for them having an aboriginal person in and using their music style.

I wonder if leaning into the aboriginal style even more would've helped. It ended up being unremarkable in a very wild semi.

My personal favorites are Norway, Ireland, Greece, Switzerland, Estonia and Croatia. Czech Republic and San Marino were fun too, although it kind of annoys me that San Marino is effectively working as a Eurovision "hired gun" in a sense—getting acts all across Europe without regard for their relation to San Marino or even Italy.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I'll never tire of Herreys - still probably my favourite winner and glad to see them wheeled out again. 40 years. Where did all that time go? :sherlock:

Those boys won't be troubling us for a while! I'm not sure I've seen sprightlier 60-somethings apart from Angela Rippon and Dick van Dyke! :o

• Like 2