Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Is there any actual evidence that she's still alive?

Before the "List of Surviving Star from Golden Age" was deleted from the Wiki, she was listed as a survivor I believe you remember, and I probably thought since no changes had been made she was still alive

3 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

Before the "List of Surviving Star from Golden Age" was deleted from the Wiki, she was listed as a survivor I believe you remember, and I probably thought since no changes had been made she was still alive

cdc.jpg.1cf37637f5ac531d80864a670ae25788.jpg

@Ulitzer95 I knew it :)

On 07/10/2021 at 12:55, arghton said:

Sometimes mentioned on this forum, Mihai Șora, Romanian philosopher who will be 105 next month apparently has a facebook account:

https://www.facebook.com/mihaisora

He has posted on it three times during the last 24 hours.

Mihai Șora's facebook seems to have very suddenly gone quiet on the 20th of July.

1 hour ago, arghton said:

Mihai Șora's facebook seems to have very suddenly gone quiet on the 20th of July.

I don't understand his post at all, if he is dead why don't they make a memorial, but they posted his picture in space and besides, people react with laughing emojis

7 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

I don't understand his post at all, if he is dead why don't they make a memorial, but they posted his picture in space and besides, people react with laughing emojis

He isn't dead but hasn't posted in three weeks, makes me think something has happened and he's been in hospital since. A fall, attack, anything. Or he's forgotten his password. He used to post on that page multiple times a day.

48 minutes ago, arghton said:

He isn't dead but hasn't posted in three weeks, makes me think something has happened and he's been in hospital since. A fall, attack, anything. Or he's forgotten his password. He used to post on that page multiple times a day.

1951015971_Ohthedrama.gif.5919ef075861bcf31424b12f2fc04eec.gif

• Haha 2

Dean S. Laird (Wiki), the only U.S. Navy ace to have combat victories in both the Pacific and European theaters of World War II dead at 101

The Diz Laird Collection - USS Hornet Museum 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

American sound editor and Academy Award winner Peter Berkos (Wiki) turns 100 today

Academy Award winner Peter Berkos of Rancho Bernardo to turn 100 - Pomerado  News 

• Like 1

On 24/04/2022 at 12:45, arghton said:

Finnish opera singer, "Finland's national baritone" Matti Lahtinen is 100 today. Couldn't find a proper article yet, but lots of people on Twitter and Facebook are wishing a happy birthday to him and he's someone who won't die off-radar, especially as he's still very active. 74-year career, there's a lot of his songs on youtube

Matti Lehtinen dead at 100: https://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/art-2000009010528.html

• Like 4

Vietnamese politician and military figure, Vice President 1987-1997 and General of the Vietnam People's Army Nguyễn Quyết is 100 today. (and possibly also Nguyễn Thọ Chân, but I'm not sure if that Wiki birthdate is correct)

He was visited three days ago by a Politburo member who briefed him on what the Army is doing now. Still very active and able to walk. 

quyet.thumb.jpg.33d64013588d0bdfbad3bab46413178a.jpg

Oldest living four-star General after Wan Haifeng and William V. McBride? (Musuguri and Petar Matić Dule are three-star generals)

• Like 1

On 09/05/2022 at 20:57, arghton said:

She'd been battling throat cancer for a while as mentioned here last year. Also very frail.

Here's the updated list of current notable (enough to have an English or Chinese wiki) Chinese/Hong Kong + Taiwan centenarians and those who will (or won't) be 100 this year:

Joseph Hou Guoyang (1922-) Roman catholic bishop. Could not find anything about him, is he even alive?

No, he isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/05/2022 at 19:57, arghton said:

*snip*

Joseph Hou Guoyang (1922-) Roman catholic bishop. Could not find anything about him, is he even alive?

As I thought they would, Catholic Hierarchy have now updated the profile for Chinese bishop Joseph Hou Guoyang (wiki) to say he is also deceased (without a date or year specified).

This means that Mexican bishop José de Jesús Sahagún de la Parra (wiki), who turned 100 in January, is the only current centenarian bishop in the Roman Catholic Church. The second oldest is America's René Henry Gracida (wiki, b. June 1923).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/05/2022 at 21:57, arghton said:

She'd been battling throat cancer for a while as mentioned here last year. Also very frail.

Here's the updated list of current notable (enough to have an English or Chinese wiki) Chinese/Hong Kong + Taiwan centenarians and those who will (or won't) be 100 this year:

Abdullah Timan 阿不都拉·提曼 / ئابدۇللا تىمەن‎ (1919-) Taiwanese Uyghur Kuomintang politician, was alive in 2019.

Ancient Taiwanese Uyghur Kuomintang politician, former Kuomintang Central Committee member, one of the 733 members of the First Legislative Yuan elected in 1948, Abdullah Timan (chinese wiki, wikidata page) dead at 102/103. Radio Free Asia article in Uyghur:

https://www.rfa.org/uyghur/qisqa_xewer/abdulla-timen-08152022153225.html

timan.png.071f7861a01c8945599dd1e1c861066c.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TomTomTelekom said:

American Jazz vocalist and drummer Della Griffin dead at 100 years:

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/25584906/della-griffin

I thought she was born in 1925, are you sure that the the tribute is for the singer, since on August 9 nothing from press, I'm surprised

• Like 1

I changed her birth year on Wiki.

The obit was a near match (name, location and same birth date). The only variance was the birth year.

I then went on Facebook and there's a picture of the funeral program, uploaded by friends/family several days ago. It clearly shows a picture of the jazz vocalist and the birth year is given as 1922.

298941884_10160141744454420_7365711440446948323_n.thumb.jpg.4e80683150360d4c1471db3b929e3872.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1