Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

23 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

While Roger Angell already has a QO and the DDP updated, nothing surprises me more than this - a BBC Obit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61535345

Doesn't surprise me tbh? Angell was widely considered one of the best American sports writers of the 20th Century, akin to their Hugh McIllvanney or Brian Glanville, and I'd certainly heard of him as a result long before I knew about Deathlist. (And note I don't do baseball, at all.) The BBC's standards have gone down somewhat of late, but I'd have considered him a potential BBC name about 20 years ago too. 

""I think the real fans are the fans of terrible teams, because they know what good baseball is and they know how far their own players fall short."

In general sports terms. Good news for most of us then, being Thistle, Clyde, Carlisle, Northampton and other wonderfully mediocre side fans!

• Like 3

On 04/11/2021 at 06:54, Lafaucheuse said:

Helene Bellanger (b. 1920) : actress

French actress Helene Bellanger  dead at 101

Hélène Bellanger - Unifrance

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

French actress Helene Bellanger  dead at 101

Hélène Bellanger - Unifrance

Died last year under the radar apparently. Wasn’t particularly known tbh

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, CastAway said:

Was it reported in both threads with a link no one can read?  Wow thanks.  Guess supposed to take your word for what it says.

• Facepalm 2

CTRL C, CTRL V the text into Google Translate

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, arghton said:

CTRL C, CTRL V the text into Google Translate

You even answer him???

15 minutes ago, drol said:

You even answer him???

We could always fart in his general direction.

angel farts.jpg

• Haha 2

On 09/05/2022 at 21:57, arghton said:

She'd been battling throat cancer for a while as mentioned here last year. Also very frail.

Here's the updated list of current notable (enough to have an English or Chinese wiki) Chinese/Hong Kong + Taiwan centenarians and those who will (or won't) be 100 this year:

Shi Ping 施平 (1911/1912-) former deputy director of the Standing Committee of the Shanghai Municipal People's Congress. Most of his fame comes from sending Xi Jinping a letter in 2021. Wheelchairbound and seems to live in a hospital.

Moon Fun Chin (1913-) Chinese-born American China National Aviation Corporation pilot and one of the two CNAC pilots still alive, other one being Peter Goutiere.

Zhang Lixiong (1913-) PLA founding Major-General and Long March participant, survived being in hospital for a whole year in 2020-2021.

Tu Tongjin (1914-) PLA founding Major-General, Long March participant and neurosurgeon, probably in frail health.

Ye Ming (1914-) Chinese centenarian who got into the news for recovering from COVID in May 2022 despite apparently having been in ICU for a month and having been bedridden for the last 7 years. (https://gerontology.fandom.com/wiki/Ye_Ming)

Ma Shitu (1915-) Ancient writer/politician who has had cancer three times and other health issues. Was doing quite well a month or two ago, not even in a wheelchair. His older brother lived to 105, he has some longevity in his family.

Isabel Crook (1915-) Chinese-born Canadian anthropologist.

Jian Xianfo (1916-) Politician, cadre who participated in the Long March, Vice Minister of the Electric Industry in the 1980s, assistant of Jiang Zemin rival Qiao Shi and widow of General Xiao Ke who also lived to be a centenarian. Has been wheelchairbound for years.

Maeda Mitsuhiro 前田光繁 (1916-) Japanese-born Chinese Eigth Route Army veteran and founder of the "Japanese Soldiers Awakening Alliance", already frail on his 100th.

Song Ping (1917-) Politician, last of the Second Generation of Chinese Leadership, mentor of former Chinese leader Hu Jintao. Seems to have been close to death atleast once and as far as I know he was quiet on his 105th.

Yang You (1917-) Scientist and the teacher of Huang Xuhua, "the father of China's nuclear submarines", who is now 96. He's been in hospital for around four years now.

Fan Xixian 蹇先佛 (1917-) Guangdong local politician who seems to be doing okay.

Yang Yongsong (1917/1919-) Another PLA founding Major General. Obese

Wen Jian (1918-) Another PLA founding Major General.

Xia Shuzhang (1919-) Ancient political scientist and father of the Public Administration Master degree.

Hsu Li-nong 許歷農 (1919-) Taiwan, former Kuomintang standing committee member.

Abdullah Timan 阿不都拉·提曼 (1919-) Taiwanese Uyghur Kuomintang politician, was alive in 2019.

Lu Yuanjiu (1920-) Physicist. Wheelchairbound.

Henry Hu (1920-) Hong Kong barrister. Looked frail ages ago.

Wan Haifeng (1920-) General. Was unable to talk and looked very near death years ago but was doing better in 2021.

Li Dak-Sum (1920-) Hong Kong entrepreneur/philanthropist. Wheelchairbound.

Zou Yu (1920-) Politician, former Minister of Justice who seemed near death years ago. Seems like he's been boringly healthy since.

Tang Youqi (1920-) Physical chemist. Frail.

Wu Bingyan 吳炳炎 (1920-) Taiwan ROC pilot known for his senior badminton career.

John Bai Ningxian (1921-) Roman catholic bishop. Seems like he's still alive, but I couldn't find anything new about him.

Wang Xiji (1921-) Designer of China's first sounding rocket. Not sure if he's appeared in public in years.

Li Huanying 李桓英 (1921-) "Doctor who defeated leprosy"

Zhong Yiren 鍾逸人 (1921-) Taiwan independence activist.

Wu Liangyong (1922-) Architect, urban planner. Seems to be wheelchairbound and his face looks bloated.

Wei Wei (1922-) Actress with a long career. Her 100th birthday will be in a week.

Yang Chen-Ning (1922-) Nobel prize-winning theoretical physicist who has been frail for years.

Lu Yongfu (1922-) Translator, director of the Chinese Translation Organization.

Joseph Hou Guoyang (1922-) Roman catholic bishop. Could not find anything about him, is he even alive?

Updated the list, added a couple of people

• Like 2

Boris Pahor dead at 108.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
  • Shocked 1

Means that the cohort of famous* people born in 1913 is now extinct. 

(*Actually famous. I didn't count those two Chinese people.)

1911 still has Camacho Quiros, 1912 has Luis Torras and Shi Ping (neither of them really that notable) and possibly that Djara Mickaharic guy (has he ever even existed?)

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 08:32, Gisooo said:

Some celebrities who turned 100 

Fred Aftalion (Wiki) - French chemical engineer 

Matti Lehtinen (Wiki) - Finnish singer

Alexandra Myskova (Wiki) - Czech actress

Fred Aftalion - Wikipedia 

French chemical engineer Fred Aftalion died last week in Paris, shortly after his 100th.

Death notice.

• Like 5

On 20/03/2022 at 08:23, Gisooo said:

British physician Arnold Burgen (Wiki) turns 100 today and became a centenarian :birthday2:

Academy of Europe: Burgen Arnold 

Sir Arnold Burgen dead at 100.

A fairly big name in his field so I would expect a QO (though he wasn't picked in the DDP).

• Like 5

And a third one to top it off, seeing as he's been on my extended Wiki watchlist for years...

Professor Johannes W. Rohen (wiki), German anatomist, dead at 100. Produced the most detailed photographic atlas of the human anatomy, supposedly.

Death notice.

autor-20703_240_-2x.jpg.525c41f75c0d8e4ea795039834411b7f.jpg

• Like 6

Andrée Geulen-Herscovici, Belgian philanthropist, dead at 100:

https://www.rtbf.be/article/deces-a-ixelles-dandree-geulen-devenue-resistante-pour-sauver-des-enfants-juifs-11004437

Along with the Jewish rescue organization Comité de Défense des Juifs, she helped rescue around 1000 Jewish children from the Holocaust, and was named as one of the Righteous Among the Nations in 1989. 

• Like 5

Is there really no sign of a Boris Pahor QO yet?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Perhaps said:

Is there really no sign of a Boris Pahor QO yet?

I share your disbelief on this too. 

While he's not a pick of mine in the DDP, he was on my shortlist.  I've not seen any QO, but have seen French, Italian, Slovenian and even Indian (Hindustan Times) obits for him.  Too many ways he's notable - age, Holocaust survivor, writer - yet nothing.  Maybe something will appear eventually?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evil Grimace said:

I share your disbelief on this too. 

While he's not a pick of mine in the DDP, he was on my shortlist.  I've not seen any QO, but have seen French, Italian, Slovenian and even Indian (Hindustan Times) obits for him.  Too many ways he's notable - age, Holocaust survivor, writer - yet nothing.  Maybe something will appear eventually?

German media as well (DW). I wonder if it's just the relevant QO websites being overwhelmed with QEII content alongside Ukraine war and US mass shootings? Let's see what shakes loose once the Jubilee celebrations are done

• Like 1

On 06/10/2021 at 22:15, arghton said:

P. Sabanayagam (7th of June 1922-) Politician

P. Sabanayagam, Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary when Karunanidhi was CM, 100 today

Article doesn't include a recent picture of him, but here's one from December:

sabanayagagam.jpg.511acdf165fbbf99a2dd91d4d2162a8c.jpg

• Like 2

Some celebrities who turned 100 and became centenarians lately

1. Marcel Boiteux (Wiki) - French economist, mathematician and senior civil service member
  2. Antonina Uccello (Wiki) - American politician and Former Mayor of Hartford
  3. Felix Kolmer (Wiki) - Czech physicist
  4. Gerald Holton (Wiki) - German-born American physicist and educator.
  5. William V. McBride (Wiki) - American general
  6. Judith Lauand (Wiki) - Brazilian painter
  7. Edith Roger (Wiki) - Norwegian dancer
  8. Jean Cussac (Wiki) - French baritone and music director
  9. Aleksander Krawczuk (Wiki) - Polish politician and historian
  10. P. Sabanayagam (Wiki) - Indian military officer and civil servant
  11. Selma van de Perre (Wiki) - Dutch-British Holocaust survivor
  • Like 3