Red Flag

Monty Python

qxq4ab.jpg

Eric Idle's looking a little rough. And he's one of the youngest...

a recent video
  • Like 1

So it took a third ex-wife's alimony fees to finally push John Cleese into a reunion, huh?

Eric Idle is possibly the worst human being in comedy history, and that includes the fat dude who rammed a broken coke bottle up that lass's fanny.

So it took a third ex-wife's alimony fees to finally push John Cleese into a reunion, huh?

Eric Idle is possibly the worst human being in comedy history, and that includes the fat dude who rammed a broken coke bottle up that lass's fanny.

Worse than Jim Davidson?

I believe Fatty Arbuckle was in fact innocent of said accusation, but the scandal pretty much ruined his career

Care to expand on this? I've heard vague stuff about him being "lazy" or something. Or is he supposed to be really unpleasant?

Are you a fan of Edward Heath?

Idle is the man behind a lot of the commercial exploitation of Python's image (stuff like Spamalot and Monty Python slot machines are basically due to him), but he's also notorious as a man quite comfortable with taking other people's credit/royalties/ideas. His treatment of long-time friend/co-writer of The Rutles Neil Innes is kinda legendary if you Google.

Comedian sells out and treats people like shit. Tell me something new.

Idle is the man behind a lot of the commercial exploitation of Python's image (stuff like Spamalot and Monty Python slot machines are basically due to him), but he's also notorious as a man quite comfortable with taking other people's credit/royalties/ideas. His treatment of long-time friend/co-writer of The Rutles Neil Innes is kinda legendary if you Google.

^^This. Also he's been in some shit films and has done far too much work for Disney

Cleese is pretty much the same as well. I thought it was pretty much accepted that they're generally both awful human beings

^^This. Also he's been in some shit films and has done far too much work for Disney

Cleese is pretty much the same as well. I thought it was pretty much accepted that they're generally both awful human beings

Michael Palin on the other hand is pretty much a living saint, if not more so for putting up with these two, and Sir David Frost, for 45 years.

• Like 2

I know of eric idle but nothing about him personally , but I'm a little sad to find out John cleese is like that . Fawlty towers is still one of my favourite British shows its the type of show that gets better the more you watch it , and cleese always came off as a nice guy (I thought) in the interviews I saw him in.

Is there any bad stories about him ?

I don't think Monty Python is that funny, and I don't think the reunion will be either. Give me one good example of when a comedy 'classic' has been successfully reignited? I bet you can't. This is clearly driven money-driven.

I don't think Monty Python is that funny, and I don't think the reunion will be either. Give me one good example of when a comedy 'classic' has been successfully reignited? I bet you can't. This is clearly driven money-driven.

Apart from The Life of Brian and the Lumberjack song, I don't find them hugely funny either. I preferred Ripping Yarns. An you're right on the other points too. Isn't the reason for the reunion because Cleese is going through another expensive divorce and needs the cash?

i wanna see these old cunts do "The Ministry of Funny Walks Sketch" in their 70s,I'd bet it would be a lot funnier now?

Icons agree to play a series of high profile profitable gigs at the O2. Didn't end well previously.

I'm a twat. But you know what I meant.

I'm a twat. But you know what I meant.

I thought you meant to say "money-driven drivel" there. But then I realised you probably just put the same thing twice mistake by mistake.

• Like 1

I really liked the Sex Pistols' reunion tour 'Filthy Lucre'. Up front about the whole thing, not trying to hide behind any pretentious clap-trap or altruistic drivel-driven-money.

Gold medal for honesty Gents, take another bow.

Dearest ticket is £106.00 for a seat. Cheapest is £32.50 Link if you really want to check out the oldies.

Maybe they do need the money.

After all, Python is a cult, they didn't make a massive amount of money. The records sold OK, but not Led Zeppelinesque standards. The films were more labours of love than commercial money spinners, which might explain Cleese/Idle's poor movie choices for the bucks.

Their last film together was in 1983. Last significant set of gigs (Hollywood Bowl) was in 1980. Last TV series, 1974. And there's five of them, quite a bit to split.

That's a while ago now. Throw in a few bad career moves/business deals/divorces/new family and it soon adds up and the money soon runs out.

If they want to cash in on their success and add to their pensions, then let them.

Sooner them than fucking Michael Mcintyre any day of the week...

• Like 2

Maybe they do need the money.

After all, Python is a cult, they didn't make a massive amount of money. The records sold OK, but not Led Zeppelinesque standards. The films were more labours of love than commercial money spinners, which might explain Cleese/Idle's poor movie choices for the bucks.

Their last film together was in 1983. Last significant set of gigs (Hollywood Bowl) was in 1980. Last TV series, 1974. And there's five of them, quite a bit to split.

That's a while ago now. Throw in a few bad career moves/business deals/divorces/new family and it soon adds up and the money soon runs out.

If they want to cash in on their success and add to their pensions, then let them.

Sooner them than fucking Michael Mcintyre any day of the week...

The films were bankrolled by Handmade Films which didn't end well for George Harrison which was a (Shanghai) surprise.

Promoters are saying this will be the last Monty Python reunion.

They claim that pressure of work will prevent the world tour but looking at the photo is there something they are not telling us.

Based on this I would predict the following order of dying

1. Eric Idle
  2. John Cleese
  3. Terry Jones
  4. Terry Gilliam
  5. Michael Palin

Anyone care to disagree?

I think Michael Palin will go first because the poor bastard will be on a train somewhere and someone will confuse him for Michael Portillo and sock him right in the face very hard.

No actually I think it will go like this.

1. Eric Idle

2. John Cleese

3. Terry Gilliam

4/5 is a toss-up between Palin and Jones.

• Like 2

Guest john cleese

Eric Idle will certainly be the first to die.