Deathray

The Ukraine Crisis

Looks like a couple more Ukrainian States are poised to join Mother Russia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-27360146

I sincerely hope when you typed that out, you imagined it in an exaggerated, sinister sounding Russian accent. In fact the whole sentence could have been read like that. I know that's how I read it.

Only just noticed this, I was actually imaging the Iron Maiden song but sinister sounding russian accent works...

Guest We are doomed

Does anyone else have a feeling of dread? I'm 60 and I have never felt the world was so close to chaos as it is now. I have a Great life and a Nice job and friends, yet There is a feeling of doom I just can't Shake.

The headline of this Guardian piece is unintentionally hilarious

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/mar/01/boris-nemtsov-marchers-moscow-honour-murdered-opposition-politician-live-updates

(p.s. can a mod move this post to the Ukraine thread instead)

Edited by Magere Hein
Done

Well I dunno what to tell you Deathers. There's just something about the concept of sitting here spelling it out, when it's not that hard to understand........ that's so offensive to me. Why don't you scroll through the Guardian comments someone else might have pointed out the observation that I made about the headline but chose not to include here. Cos I'll be damned if I'm doing that either.

I live in Poland, we border Ukraine and Russia (via Kaliningrad) so Putin might invade us too if all the rumours about his plans to invade more countries is true.

I live in Poland, we border Ukraine and Russia (via Kaliningrad) so Putin might invade us too if all the rumours about his plans to invade more countries is true.

How close are you to that border? Does your gut instinct say it's just speculation or do you think he might really do it?

How close are you to that border? Does your gut instinct say it's just speculation or do you think he might really do it?

I live in Kraków, it's rather in the East of Poland but not very close to the border. I don't think he'll really do it. I think he's too scared to invade an EU country.

I live in Kraków, it's rather in the East of Poland but not very close to the border. I don't think he'll really do it. I think he's too scared to invade an EU country.

As I understand it, Putin's reason to support anti-EU parties in Ukraine is to avoid Ukraine's joining the Union.

I find it difficult to gauge Putin's intentions. The activity of Russian navy and airforce units in western European waters and airspace is worrying, but I remember similar sabre-rattling from the Soviet era. That never heated up to actual combat. Of course today satellite imagery shows Russian preparations PDQ.

I think the best way to approach the question is to ask: what can Putin gain by invading an EU country. Since it'd ruin trade, I'd say: little. The unfortunate Ukrainians are in no such position, so Putin can play all the games he wants there. That'll change little in the coming months.

Let alone a NATO member. All for one ...

Ah, now, that's an interesting remark. I won't say NATO's dead, but it sure smells funny.

Ah, now, that's an interesting remark. I won't say NATO's dead, but it sure smells funny.

Erm....... you saying the armies of Europe are weakened by cuts following the financial crash? Or just NATO as an alliance is loose or something?

Anyway another thing, US military action still hasn't even gotten rid of ISIS so how can you say US-led NATO action removing Russia from Poland would be some sort of swift and easy thing?

Erm....... you saying the armies of Europe are weakened by cuts following the financial crash? Or just NATO as an alliance is loose or something?

Yes. :P

Since the west more or less won the cold war, NATO has rather suffered from cost cuts and general uselessness. I also doubt if our American allies will be keen to fight here should the Russians invade. As you say, they're busy elsewhere, making little progress.

Erm, anyone notice how people are a lot less whiny about the DL hit count this year?

This time in 2014, guests and users alike were all "waaaah, why aren't we already on 12 hits! etc."

I'm guessin the scary events of last summer and the Paris attacks put a few things into perspective... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Although lookin at how high Ayatollah Milibandi is polling, maybe not the second one? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: )

"Scary events" and "Paris attacks" ?

You are a ginge Dr, aren't you?

Wtf are you on about? I don't know one person that "really" gives a shit about the World's events. It's there for shits, giggles and point scoring.

"Scary events" and "Paris attacks" ?

You are a ginge Dr, aren't you?

Wtf are you on about? I don't know one person that "really" gives a shit about the World's events. It's there for shits, giggles and point scoring.

I haven't speaked to any Halibuts in a while either

2enq71v.jpg

Finland's government has contacted a million reservist soldiers to remind them of their duties. They think Russia might be planning to invade!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32843558

Well that would add more teeth to the subheading 'keeping watch for WWIII' than the fucking Ukraine. Russia-Ukraine is a household tiff, no one in the world is going to get all up in arms (obligatory DL pun) if the Ukrainians get their tits in a ringer.

SC

Does anyone else have a feeling of dread? I'm 60 and I have never felt the world was so close to chaos as it is now. I have a Great life and a Nice job and friends, yet There is a feeling of doom I just can't Shake.

So er, how do you feel now if you're still with us Barbara/Dean/whatever?

I mean, last time there was a crisis with this many refugees floating about was erm... the last world war? :rolleyes:

(even if it might be a bit of a slightly fake one and half of them are just here to force their religion on us, and thats even more scarierer)

• Like 1

So er, how do you feel now if you're still with us Barbara/Dean/whatever?

I mean, last time there was a crisis with this many refugees floating about was erm... the last world war? :rolleyes:

(even if it might be a bit of a slightly fake one and half of them are just here to force their religion on us, and thats even more scarierer)

We are doomed...it is what I have begun saying, I believe that the Mayans were right. After December 21st, 2012 our world has had an end to the civilizedness that it had before...we are all too aware of everything, Too damn sensitive to everything and we are in what I call a "Living Apocalypse"! We are destroying ourselves and in my lifetime (i am 19) and in the lifetime of people closer to my age, we probably will witness the end of it all...not now thought...but in time if we can't get out shit toegether!

Get out of Ukraine while you still can.

Foreign Office advice to Brits to evacuate immediately.

• Like 1