Deathray

The Ukraine Crisis

7 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

That's the peacekeeping troops moving in now.

U.S has now ordered a full evacuation of State Department personnel from the country. Embassy will be based in Poland... They expect an imminent escalation IMO.

Considering they left Lviv, which is nowhere near the events of today. They must have intelligence to make them cautious, so far their intelligence has been accurate. Key to note, reports are saying "if the country is not invaded", they may return.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah, breaking news here in Germany. Putin told chancellor Scholz of the decision. So yeah, immediately after the Olympic Games. I guess troops will move in tonight. They will be the separatists (Russian operatives) who left yesterday, probably to get equipped.

Putin will claim to have kept his word, because Luhansk and Donetsk are not part of Ukraine, according to his own definition. 

Next prediction after the above turned out to be correct:

These puppet states will now form armies and try to expand their territories. Putin will claim that it's okay because these are not Russian troops.

But I wonder if a real frontline will be established, a real eastern front of Ukraine vs. "separatists". I think Russia does not want such a front and might make use of their Belarussian troops and have them enter Ukraine from the north to mess up Ukrainian plans.

Oh, now that I think about it, I guess Lukashenko was promised some Ukranian territory, Chernobyl perhaps?

Will the Ukrainian army get foreign support?

• Like 1

Boris on his feet in the Commons.

I await the announcement that Russians will no longer be allowed to visit Peppa Pig World.

• Haha 1

If anyone's interested, they could do worse than listen to the speech given by the representative from Kenya at the Security Council last night.

I found it the most credible and most moving speech given there.

China's 5 line speech was a bit surprising.

• Like 2

Putin has confirmed that Luhansk and Donetsk are recognised as per their full oblast territories, so I guess we'll see them being aided in establishing control over them soon.

• Like 1

I’d just like to congratulate The Old Crem on his new job at the Daily Mirror.

254ECE20-E5B6-446B-AAA8-29D92345D6EB.thumb.jpeg.40c43f3427ca67790e2f3085ff862ebf.jpeg

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TQR said:

254ECE20-E5B6-446B-AAA8-29D92345D6EB.thumb.jpeg.40c43f3427ca67790e2f3085ff862ebf.jpeg

They link to a plaything for panickers too. 

Apparently the main fireball area is smaller these days than in the 1960s. So that should comfort some... :P

39 minutes ago, TQR said:

This is meant to be a bad outcome? It would certainly aid levelling-up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

This is meant to be a bad outcome? It would certainly aid levelling-up.

If they drop their nuclear bomb on the nearest nuclear power plant to London - Sizewell? - would that create some sort of megabomb? I'm just trying to stretch the affected area to Birmingham :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

If they drop their nuclear bomb on the nearest nuclear power plant to London - Sizewell? - would that create some sort of megabomb? I'm just trying to stretch the affected area to Birmingham :D

But Birmingham already resembles a post apocalyptic wasteland

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, it looks like it will miss Norfolk.

Anyway, we don't need any nuclear fall out to have babies born here with webbed fingers and 3 eyes....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, msc said:

They link to a plaything for panickers too. 

Apparently the main fireball area is smaller these days than in the 1960s. So that should comfort some... :P

This is, of course, utter shite.  The first places to be hit will be army, naval & air force bases. 

Just now, Paul Bearer said:

This is, of course, utter shite.  The first places to be hit will be army, naval & air force bases. 

You can customise where the nuke hits, which is of course why I tested their thing on the Helensbrough area instead. :D

If Putin wants Ukraine he should do it himself 

Trail by Combat. Him vs President. No need for massive amount of casualties 

• Like 2

Jokes aside. Russia is invading Ukraine. 

This is the most significant event in Europe (IMO) since the U.S.S.R collapsed. Things could easily escalate beyond Russia v. Ukraine. 

As a site devoted to death, there will be quite a bit of it in Ukraine...

• Sad 1

Russia currently targeting large population centers.

I've also seen reports of gunfire being heard at Boryspil International Airport in Kyiv.

• Sad 1

Conflict News (@Conflicts) Tweeted:
UKRAINIAN FOREIGN MINISTER KULEBA: "Putin has just launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Peaceful Ukrainian cities are under strikes. This is a war of aggression. Ukraine will defend itself and will win. The world can and must stop Putin. The time to act is now." https://twitter.com/Conflicts/status/1496696450553688065?s=20&t=fpgSGBF_wD1KsBancm-VOQ

4 hours ago, Drewsky1211 said:

Russia currently targeting large population centers.

I've also seen reports of gunfire being heard at Boryspil International Airport in Kyiv.

Aside from Kyiv, those are all Russophone cities in the south and east, so they may have an initial focus on the areas that will be most welcoming. 

It's the talk of demilitarising Ukraine that is most interesting. Maybe the overall concept is to take the lands you want (and can keep control of) and leave the rest as a weak rump state?

On 11/02/2022 at 21:57, The Old Crem said:

I think 2022 will see a nuclear war.

A serious question, does anyone know if safe bunker facilities are available for the DL committee and those managing the DDP, we'd be looking at record years, be a shame if the stattos weren't able to record it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prussianblue said:

Aside from Kyiv, those are all Russophone cities in the south and east, so they may have an initial focus on the areas that will be most welcoming. 

It's the talk of demilitarising Ukraine that is most interesting. Maybe the overall concept is to take the lands you want (and can keep control of) and leave the rest as a weak rump state?

That account is now also mentioning air sirens in Lviv and an attack on the airport in Ivano-Frankivsk, both far in the west.

I wonder if it's to overwhelm the Ukranian defenses to expand the separatist areas without resistance, or whether the purpose actually is to conquer the whole country. There is no endgame. A Ukranian rump state will be a very anti-Russian entity. It would be a continuous threat to an occupied Russo-Ukraine.

The conflict in the separatist areas have been, well, "established" as an end goal, but beyond that, Russia basically cannot stop until they've got it all, and then continue towards Transnistria.

22 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

That account is now also mentioning air sirens in Lviv and an attack on the airport in Ivano-Frankivsk, both far in the west.

I wonder if it's to overwhelm the Ukranian defenses to expand the separatist areas without resistance, or whether the purpose actually is to conquer the whole country. There is no endgame. A Ukranian rump state will be a very anti-Russian entity. It would be a continuous threat to an occupied Russo-Ukraine.

The conflict in the separatist areas have been, well, "established" as an end goal, but beyond that, Russia basically cannot stop until they've got it all, and then continue towards Transnistria.

Well Transnistria is already a Russian puppet state. It’s the rest of Moldova that it next on Putin’a hit list. 

I now fear Putin is crazy enough to attack the NATO Baltic States. 

14 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Well Transnistria is already a Russian puppet state. It’s the rest of Moldova that it next on Putin’a hit list. 

I now fear Putin is crazy enough to attack the NATO Baltic States. 

I think he's running out of time to do this, though he might give a potential successor a blueprint for a plan.

He won't attack them directly as long as they're part of NATO, but de-stabilize them through the Russian minorities in these countries. If a pro-Russia party takes over the government in these countries, that government will then make their country leave NATO. Some pundits have said that Latvia might be a target for that. It's a plan that needs 10-15 years of planning. (if I compare that the Ukraine timeline where Russia lost it's grip on Ukraine around 2007).