Sign in to follow this  
themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2015

In the Queen's birthday honours list I see Paddington author Micheal Bond has been awarded a CBE

Presumably for services to trolling DDP theme teams

Services to being awesome, more like. :D

I have a fgreat deal of respect for Mr Bond but the performance of my teams this year has been disappointing. He is just an easy target for my wrath.

Not just Paddington but Olga da Polga.

That's the trouble with a theme team though, no? Most of them are old but otherwise in decent health. Last I heard of Mr Bond, he was still quite active. Mind you, so was Ruth Rendell.

Peter Dickinson (b 1927, writer of The Changes) might be a decent shot at a unique for 2016 if you still run that theme team, mind.

In the Queen's birthday honours list I see Paddington author Micheal Bond has been awarded a CBE

Presumably for services to trolling DDP theme teams

Services to being awesome, more like. :D

I have a fgreat deal of respect for Mr Bond but the performance of my teams this year has been disappointing. He is just an easy target for my wrath.

Not just Paddington but Olga da Polga.

That's the trouble with a theme team though, no? Most of them are old but otherwise in decent health. Last I heard of Mr Bond, he was still quite active. Mind you, so was Ruth Rendell.

Peter Dickinson (b 1927, writer of The Changes) might be a decent shot at a unique for 2016 if you still run that theme team, mind.

That was someone who isn't on my radar. I will investigate and might inlcude them. many thanks.

Latest update...

T-Mib, please classify:

If a death is reported during an event on Sky Sports (not Sky Sports News), does this count as an obituary?

T-Mib, please classify:

If a death is reported during an event on Sky Sports (not Sky Sports News), does this count as an obituary?

It depends when it is. If it is this year then I may allow it (a bit like when you won 2013 with the boxing chap - the DDP equivalent of allowing a goal which replays showed was a touch offside!). Next year I'm considering the rule that "obits" are least written down - even if it is on a sidebar - as what qualified Jean Dore).

There you go, clear as mud.

I wondered if there should be a rule change that an obit needs to contain the name of the deceased person in the headline, so that "brave cancer mum" is ruled out, but it turned out that this rule might do more harm than good, hmm...

Latest update...

Relieved that Dore snuck in a qualifying Obit but shocked he is getting almost no mentions in papers outside his native Canada.

T-Mib, please classify:

It depends when it is. If it is this year then I may allow it (a bit like when you won 2013 with the boxing chap - the DDP equivalent of allowing a goal which replays showed was a touch offside!). Next year I'm considering the rule that "obits" are least written down - even if it is on a sidebar - as what qualified Jean Dore).

You still looking at throwing out a consultation of sorts. How about

- anybody who has been diagnosed with a terminal or life threatening illness prior to Jan 1st is required to be entitled to their obit on another claim to fame -charity work stemming from their illness not accepted

- Hits must receive a written obit exceeding 3 paragraphs in a major UK outlet that uses at least two mediums (tv and internet, internet and newapaper etc)

- The entrant must produce english language results in the main when entered into the uk google

- Familial connections should not in themselves be enough - qualifying obits must contain a reason why said person is of note in own right

T-Mib, please classify:

You still looking at throwing out a consultation of sorts. How about

- anybody who has been diagnosed with a terminal or life threatening illness prior to Jan 1st is required to be entitled to their obit on another claim to fame -charity work stemming from their illness not accepted

- Hits must receive a written obit exceeding 3 paragraphs in a major UK outlet that uses at least two mediums (tv and internet, internet and newapaper etc)

- The entrant must produce english language results in the main when entered into the uk google

- Familial connections should not in themselves be enough - qualifying obits must contain a reason why said person is of note in own right

I like the idea of the people with terminal cancer being famous for something other than being ill or fundraising but what if they become famous in something as a consequence of being ill besides fundraising? Helen fawkes was kind of pushed into the hosting spotlight after she got cancer. Katherine crowe as a singer became more well known after she had cancer . Its confusing really to know where to draw the line I think the DDP kind of has it at the best its going to be balance wise.

Meandering through various obituaries, it looks like Joan Kirner has not been included for her death on 1 June: http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7091&p=227992

Additionally, unless she's now obtained a qualifying obit, Miriam Schapiro should be added to the Lost: http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6496&p=229998

I am doint so badly this year.

Three hits across all my teams and they were all very old ladies.

My shadowlist only has 4 hits.

Latest update...

• Like 1

It's always me I'm afraid. Diana Douglas, listed as Diana Dill, first wife of Kirk needs to be added. http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=518&p=230940

Don't want to annoy anyone, but I could do a round up every 3 or 4 days, just adding links to the relevant posts I find. Then it could be a one stop shop in this thread. Always happy to help any way I can, it's not as if I'm spending any time at all gathering/counting my own DDP points lol.

It's always me I'm afraid. Diana Douglas, listed as Diana Dill, first wife of Kirk needs to be added. http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=518&p=230940

Don't want to annoy anyone, but I could do a round up every 3 or 4 days, just adding links to the relevant posts I find. Then it could be a one stop shop in this thread. Always happy to help any way I can, it's not as if I'm spending any time at all gathering/counting my own DDP points lol.

I had a feeling she was picked but when I saw that she wasn't there under Douglas, so I assumed she wasn't chosen. Doh!

I had a feeling she was picked but when I saw that she wasn't there under Douglas, so I assumed she wasn't chosen. Doh!

Cool beans, I am always breathing a huge sigh when a woman dies, especially if she's been married more than once, because I always check every freaking name they have had just to rule them in/out of the DDP. And as for the Chinese with their first names last and their last names first...I don't know how you do it so well in the first place TMIB, I couldn't bear it! Still loving your work.

One of my Theme Team picks the mighty Terrence Dicks is to be awarded a Lifetime acheivement award at the San Diego Comicon.

He is not collecting it in person but does this mean I might be heading for some points.

Oddly enough I hope not because my respect for his work is deep and longstanding.

One of my Theme Team picks the mighty Terrence Dicks is to be awarded a Lifetime acheivement award at the San Diego Comicon.

He is not collecting it in person but does this mean I might be heading for some points.

Oddly enough I hope not because my respect for his work is deep and longstanding.

Yes, points gained on Uncle Terry would be a sad event for Who fans, the world over. Mind you, he's meant to still be in fairly robust health, maybe he just didn't fancy a trip to San Diego/was too busy?

• Like 1

Guest WEP

Evelyn Middleton, surviving half of the "oldest British twins", has died.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2015/celebs_M.html#middle

Middleton and her sister Edith Ritchie hit the News in 2012, when they were recognized as oldest living twins.

Ritchie died in July 2014 and earned the points on the DDP.

Now, Middleton died back on March 7th, 2015. But there is no obit, I guess. Ontly this one... http://ajl.myfamilyannouncements.co.uk/home/view/3715639/middleton

A great example on how long you are popular as a twin.....

A question: if they turn off the life support of people like Jules Bianchi or Bobbi Kristina Brown, does it count as an unnatural death?

Evelyn Middleton, surviving half of the "oldest British twins", has died.

http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2015/celebs_M.html#middle

Middleton and her sister Edith Ritchie hit the News in 2012, when they were recognized as oldest living twins.

Ritchie died in July 2014 and earned the points on the DDP.

Now, Middleton died back on March 7th, 2015. But there is no obit, I guess. Ontly this one... http://ajl.myfamilyannouncements.co.uk/home/view/3715639/middleton

A great example on how long you are popular as a twin.....

Oh please British press, mention Evelyn. I need her for Gray Panthers.

A question: if they turn off the life support of people like Jules Bianchi or Bobbi Kristina Brown, does it count as an unnatural death?

IIRC the DDP's protocol is it doesn't matter whether or not they spend time on life support before finally succumbing to their injuries or overdose but the action that led to the life support in the first place had to happen in the same year they die for the bonus. Least that's what I remember Blackie saying around the whole Schumi hubbub at the end of 2013... So I'd assume Bobbi would get unnatural bonus points if she was a DDP pick (no one picked her) and died this year because her overdose was at the end of January in this year, but no such luck for Jules since his crash happened in October 2014?