Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

24 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

I remember the dying days of Ceefax and recording movies I saw on TV on my collection of VHS tapes. It astonishes me that we already have people in their early twenties who have no idea what these things are, and people who have no idea about DVDs already in their teens. 

CEEFAX!!!! The good old days of the BBC red button too, 555 for the lottery results.

I remember us burning Match of the Day to DVDs. I've got absolutely loads of them still. I should probably start a youtube channel and post this great archive of matches on there (that's what the youth of today do, right?)

Someone should really start a memories and/or a hobbies thread, so we can really get the juices flowing.

52 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

In fairness, I assume everyone here is older because forums like this are so 'old school'. My younger brother in his early twenties is a member of a rail enthusiasts forum where he must be the youngest member by about thirty odd years. Everyone else his age doesn't even seem to know sites like this still exist. 

I'm dating a rail enthusiast (same age as me), amusingly enough. Though for me vehicles are mostly just something to get me from point A to point B.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

I'm dating a rail enthusiast (same age as me), amusingly enough. Though for me vehicles are mostly just something to get me from point A to point B.

I don't mean to be immature....:D

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, MortalCaso said:

I don't mean to be immature....:D

Ooer missus! :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Master Obit said:

I'm old enough to remember when we had proper paper currency, not like this polymer muck we have today.

Anyone else here remember ten shilling notes?

• Like 1

Just now, Toast said:

I do. I might even have had one for my birthday once!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Toast said:

I have a collection of paper currency. It has some very nice examples of these in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I collect old coins and notes as a hobby. You can bet I remember ten shilling notes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Urgh, someone just has to ruin it by mentioning politics in a politics thread. Typical. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

I collect old coins and notes as a hobby. You can bet I remember ten shilling notes. 

Anyone else collect? We could form a nice little group...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Just after I was born my mum got one of the new 50p coins that had just been introduced as part of the decimalization change over. She kept it wrapped in tissue for me

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toast said:

I remember the old pound notes before they made way for coins. And the 20p when it came out and the 1/2 pence when it was being phased out.

• Like 1

Question Time has been fun so far. From Glasgow and apart from Patrick Harvie, populated by the most hated people in Scotland.

Chap shouts that Holyrood should be scrapped. I’d have told him to fuck off to England where he has to pay prescriptions,  a bedroom tax and high Council tax rises.

Woman screams that we should abolish free prescriptions and free buses for under 22s. Reason: she didn’t have them when she was young. I’d have told her to fuck off back to UK government of 30 years ago, when we couldn’t make decisions different from the UK. She’d soon find her selfish attitude might change.

Yes, things aren’t great either side of the border. Most places struggle with bad services, lack of dentistry services, poor provision of infrastructure. Whether the choices made by either current government are well received will be tested at the next elections.

I know where I’d rather live at present.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Question Time has been fun so far. From Glasgow and apart from Patrick Harvie, populated by the most hated people in Scotland.

Chap shouts that Holyrood should be scrapped. I’d have told him to fuck off to England where he has to pay prescriptions,  a bedroom tax and high Council tax rises.

Woman screams that we should abolish free prescriptions and free buses for under 22s. Reason: she didn’t have them when she was young. I’d have told her to fuck off back to UK government of 30 years ago, when we couldn’t make decisions different from the UK. She’d soon find her selfish attitude might change.

Yes, things aren’t great either side of the border. Most places struggle with bad services, lack of dentistry services, poor provision of infrastructure. Whether the choices made by either current government are well received will be tested at the next elections.

Am I incorrect in thinking the only reason Scotland can afford those things is because it gets more money than its population is entitled to. 

Devolution should never have been allowed without an English parliament or regionalism being approved at the same time. 

• Facepalm 1

32 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Am I incorrect in thinking the only reason Scotland can afford those things is because it gets more money than its population is entitled to. 

Devolution should never have been allowed without an English parliament or regionalism being approved at the same time. 

Wow. You are so incorrect about the money thing. However my phone has limited battery, so I’ll spare you and the readers the details.

Believe me, I’m all for a federal system. England can have its own Parliament. But that means giving all of the powers that aren’t national security, defence or the like to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. A kind of German system. Ask yourself why the UK Parliament hasn’t gone down that route.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Love my free bus pass, sad to be losing it in 3 weeks. I imagine this is what it feels like to hold a fat stack of cash:

2114282723_PXL_20240201_2357276312.thumb.jpg.e6477c707470e602cf5a63239c7bbeee.jpg

I see that Ian Murray has used the "free bus pass but no bus" analogy a few times to mean different things. He argues that buses can no longer run if all the tax money is used up by those scrounging youths. I've defrauded the taxpayer to the tune of £1,205.65 (it's in my tight Jock nature to track every penny), though I'm an outlier. [I have also worked and paid in for 5 years, the tax dodger thing is a joke] The average young person is not using the buses often enough for it to cause a dent in the budget.

The Glasgow buses are a disconnected mess of different private companies, who charge you separate fares out of greed and have no interest in co-operating with each other. But what do you know, having a free bus pass means I can use them all with the same card. It's great.

The publicly-owned Lothian Buses network seems to be a good model. I'd like to see a card that works on all public transport services. That would involve Susan Aitken and Glasgow City Council not being a bunch of wet wipes, though.

58 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

If you want the UK to split apart, this is a great idea. I say go for it! See what happens.

• Like 3

I won’t quote @Clorox Bleachman in entirety but it’s a good point. The yoof have the chance to travel a little farther for work or indeed studies. 

I am afraid the attitude oft spouted by the likes of @The Old Crem seems to be based on the idea that we Scots get everything England gets and we have extra cash on top to do lots of other things. Simply untrue. It’s choices with what we do with the UK’s pocket money sweetheart.

Whether those choices are right or not are rightly up for debate. 

I don’t hear many cries of how unfair it is that the big metropolitan areas of England get all that extra money while leaving swathes of that country to decide on their local authority’s bankruptcy. Oh wait. I do.

All types of government get money and they decide what to do with it. Same up here. It’s still not all a bed of roses or thistles you know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

I remember the old pound notes before they made way for coins. And the 20p when it came out and the 1/2 pence when it was being phased out.

This one?

Halfpenny, 1893.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

I am afraid the attitude oft spouted by the likes of @The Old Crem seems to be based on the idea that we Scots get everything England gets and we have extra cash on top to do lots of other things. Simply untrue. It’s choices with what we do with the UK’s pocket money sweetheart.

Rightly afraid. It’s terrifying. The wide spread of misinformation borne entirely out of spite that gets about via Facebook or GBeebies or the Mail or weird, ruddy-faced Uncle Nigel. This spite, insularity and misinformation has got us exactly where we are today, and may well result in the breakup of a union that can, should and often actually does work for everyone (again).

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Regional parliaments in England were part of Gordon Browns devolution plan. They were defeated by referendum in the North East by Dominic Cummings and the same group and tactics who provided the basis of the pro Brexit vote. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_North_East_England_devolution_referendum

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

Regional parliaments in England were part of Gordon Browns devolution plan. They were defeated by referendum in the North East by Dominic Cummings and the same group and tactics who provided the basis of the pro Brexit vote. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_North_East_England_devolution_referendum

They should have done a nationwide referendum of moving to a federal system. If any nation rejected it they all did. The current system is a mess. 

5 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

I’d rather live in a country ruled by Farrage than some other people