Deathray

Political Discussions And Ranting Thread

9 hours ago, Toast said:

Alas, all the things we are not allowed to laugh at now. :(

Well yeah, quite.

As a man with a sense of humour it feels a bit like there are some things I'm just not allowed to find funny - but I understand why at any rate.

Sins of the Father.

I've had some long discussions with my sister about 'positive discrimination' (not just m/f but b/w too) which I was against, and she was for. Still ongoing to a point.

In the future hopefully we'll get to that sort of level playing field. I understand the historical issues though and why we have to go through a period of re-adjustment. It's just a bit painful to do.

10 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

This is what happens now. He'll promise the earth, knowing he won't have to do any of it and trying to get Labour to say whether they'd support it or not.

Fairly sure Labour will say they support it. 

Just when you thought Sunak had a fucking grating register, up springs oLiVEr dOWdEn.

Dowden's really, really poor at PMQs, isn't he. Rayner crushed him and his party, ground the rubble to a paste and grouted one of her bathrooms with them.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, TQR said:

Just when you thought Sunak had a fucking grating register, up springs oLiVEr dOWdEn.

Dowden's really, really poor at PMQs, isn't he. Rayner crushed him and his party, ground the rubble to a paste and grouted one of her bathrooms with them.

She certainly did :lol:

• Haha 4

Sunak Falk.jpg

• Like 2

As expected. Labour is moving towards backing the Rwanda scheme. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

As expected. Labour is moving towards backing the Rwanda scheme. 

Non-story. It's not going to work, certainly not short term, which is all that matters.

Getting tighter between Sadiq Khan and Susan Hall Poll

16 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Non-story. It's not going to work, certainly not short term, which is all that matters.

Put. him. on. ignore.

• Like 1

LE24 this time next week. Remember how they went for the Tories last year? Here's the YouGov voting intention poll, with changes compared to one week before LE23.

LAB: 45% (+4)

CON: 20% (-7)

REF: 13% (+6)

LDM: 9% (-2)

GRN: 7% (=)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TQR said:

LE24 this time next week. Remember how they went for the Tories last year? Here's the YouGov voting intention poll, with changes compared to one week before LE23.

LAB: 45% (+4)

CON: 20% (-7)

REF: 13% (+6)

LDM: 9% (-2)

GRN: 7% (=)

They are relatively few reform candidates standing in the locals that their absence from many seats will be a big factor. 

1 hour ago, Surprise Demise said:

Shit's really hitting the fan in Scottish politics at the minute with the collapse of the SNP-Green coalition. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-68901088

Greens have announced they'll vote in favour of the vote of no confidence. That means 64 votes in favour (assuming all Labour, Lib Dem, Tory and Greens do as told) and 63 votes against (all the SNP). A tie would result in the presiding officer casting the deciding vote in favour of the status quo. So it all rests on the last MSP - Ash Regan, former SNP MSP, stood against Humza for the leadership after Nicola stood down and now a member of their fierce rivals Alba. Good luck, Humza! :unsure:

Few rumours floating about that Yousaf might be stepping down. This guy in the comments isn’t convinced though so don’t quote me on this.

IMG_9526.thumb.jpeg.f81f9a8d21239e4b1a1802247ccd0c51.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TQR said:

Few rumours floating about that Yousaf might be stepping down. This guy in the comments isn’t convinced though so don’t quote me on this.

IMG_9526.thumb.jpeg.f81f9a8d21239e4b1a1802247ccd0c51.jpeg

The Times has backed the rumours for whatever that's worth.

I'm not sure what he thought would happen. On the 6 o'clock news, they said he'd war-gamed a vote of no confidence, so presumably thought he could win it, but once he'd royally stuck two fingers up at the Greens, there was very little incentive for them to support him. At that point, he was at the behest of Ash Regan, and, at best, could limp on with a tie. Very strange. If he thought it would look decisive and strong, he vastly overplayed his hand.

If he lost the vote, a new election would have to be called I think? (Can anyone confirm?) So resignation would be the only option, to allow a new First Minister to be sworn in. Presumably, if Neil Gray (or anyone else for that matter) could not win a confidence vote, the election would happen anyway - and that would depend on whether the Greens were satisfied with their pound of flesh by getting rid of Yousef and then back Gray (is he from the SNP supporters of the Bute House agreement or the SNP opponents who were cockahoop this morning? That could be the deciding factor).

2 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Holy fuck :lol:

Sweet fucking Christ. Useless as an inflatable dartboard.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Holy fuck :lol:

The look on Wes Streeting's face. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For the 1000th time, we really are led by the least amongst us.

Is Philp too young to remember?

Um Bongo, Um Bongo, they drink it in The Congo...not fucking Rwanda!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

The look on Wes Streeting's face. :lol:

and the audience...IMG-20240426-WA0000.thumb.jpg.9d75f5cdf1550ac46cd06c01682d694d.jpg

every single face, extremely relatable

• Like 3
  • Haha 2