RadGuy

Slavs

do I count as a Slav? Since I'm literally from Slavonia :)

If you say so.

Are you a famous slav?

famous like Tito himself XD

Good enough for me.

How's your health? All legs present?

like an 88 yo in a 23 yo body, just perfect ;)

Good for you, but a bit of a disappointment from a deadpooling perspective.

With three slavs in my DDP team, I do expect results from them this year.

when the slavs cross 80, they tend to live another 10 years....but when someone in 60's has diabetes, they die 2 months after they announce it....

• Like 1

A bad month for Polish politicians it seems.

On April 1st, controversial Law & Justice politician Artur Górski died at 46 from leukemia. Upon Obama's election in 2008 he called him the n-word and said he represents the end of white civilization. *sigh*

On April 5th, Zyta Gilowska, a former Deputy Prime Minister, also from Law & Justice, died at 67 from heart problems.

http://wbj.pl/former-deputy-minister-zyta-gilowska-dies-aged-67/

Guest Droosy

People in the Czech Republic, especially in the great city of Prague, do not eat pierogi. I guess they are the elite of the Slavs, then...

Polish comedian Bohdan Smolen, aged 68, has been in pretty bad health the past few years, and is currently fighting for his life. Well, not really, apparently he gave up already. So it's probably a matter of days.

Not that anybody picked him, but he certainly won't obit, despite being one of Poland's most famous comedians. I've noticed that a disproportionately low amount of Polish celebrities obit.

Polish singer Irena Santor turns 82 this year.

Not sure what her obit chances would be though and also she looks pretty healthy so I could see her making it to 90 or 100

Danuta Szaflarska, an 100-year-old Polish actress, still commonly plays sassy grandmas (she is basically Poland's Betty White) has cancelled some public appearances due to health problems the last few weeks.

I won't post any links, since they're all in Polish and none of you will understand.

Nie żyje

• Like 1

Polish professor Jerzy Vetulani dead at 81.

He was well-known in recent years for his blog and his pro-marijuana activism.

The cause of death was being hit by a car last month, which he never recovered from.

Izabella Zielińska, 107-year-old Polish pianist, has died.  Picked in a pool or two, I believe, but no sign of any non-local obits, let alone UK obits.

I was planning on having her in my 2018 Slavic theme team, even though I knew there was no way in hell she'd obit. So I guess that shows you how shitty that team is looking right now when a List of the Lost cert was heavily considered.

Retired Croatian music teacher Frane Selak, the world's luckiest (or unluckiest) man, is going to be ninety next month. So far Selak has survived seven near death experiences, five marriages and a lottery win.   

From his Wiki page:

"Selak's brushes with death started in January 1962 when he was riding a train through a cold, rainy canyon and the train flipped off the tracks and crashed in a river. Someone pulled Selak to safety, while 17 other unfortunate passengers drowned. Selak suffered a broken arm and hypothermia. The next year, during his first and only plane ride, he was blown out of a malfunctioning plane door and landed in a haystack; the plane crashed, killing 19 people. Three years after that, in 1966, a bus that he was riding skidded off the road and into a river, drowning four passengers. Selak swam to shore with a few cuts and bruises.

In 1970 his car caught fire as he was driving and he managed to escape before the fuel tank blew up. Three years later, in another driving incident, the engine of his car was doused with hot oil from a malfunctioning fuel pump, causing flames to shoot through the air vents. Selak's hair was completely singed in this incident, but he was otherwise unharmed. In 1995, he was struck by a bus in Zagreb, but sustained only minor injuries. In 1996 he eluded a head-on collision with a United Nationstruck on a mountain curve by swerving into a guardrail, which gave way under the force of his car; he was ejected from the car when the door flew open, (he wasn't wearing a seatbelt) managed to hold onto a tree, and watched his car plummet down 90 metres (300 ft) into a gorge."

:mellow:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I take it he's never been on a boat then?

Serbia's most popular rapper Gru has died in a paragliding accident. His 1996 album "Gru 2" is the biggest-selling album ever by a Serbian musician, and he was also the voice of Ralph in the Serbian dub of Wreck-It Ralph. Let's enjoy one of his bangers:

It's a little bit more Will Smith than XXXtentacion tbh.

1 minute ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Serbia's most popular rapper Gru has died in a paragliding accident. His 1996 album "Gru 2" is the biggest-selling album ever by a Serbian musician, and he was also the voice of Ralph in the Serbian dub of Wreck-It Ralph. Let's enjoy one of his bangers:

It's a little bit more Will Smith than XXXtentacion tbh.

Ah, that means no more despicable me sequels...

• Like 1

Gru? Like the "Despicable me" guy?

On 01/05/2015 at 13:32, CaptainChorizo said:

Some notable film Directors not mentioned in this thread

Jerzy Hoffman/Poland b. 1933

Dusan Makavejev/Serbia b. 1932

Andrzej Wajda/Poland b. 1926

Jerzy Antczak/Poland b. 1929

Aleksandr Mitta/Russia b.1933

Vladimir Naumov/Russia b. 1927

Not sure of the health of any of the above,and only the first 3 I am 100% certain of them getting a UK Obit

Alexander Mitta, Russian director, screenwriter, actor in ICU after suffering a stroke.

I don't trust Russian media or Russian sites a lot, but here's a list of some of those Russian personalities who've been in failing health/ICU/dying/hospitalised in recent years:

Vil Mirzayanov (1935) He was suffering from stage IV cancer in 2018!

Enver Mamedov (1923-2023) Azerbaijani-Russian former Soviet TV boss and good friend of the 60s, 70s, 80s Soviet old guard all long dead now. On oxygen with unknown illness at a Moscow presidential hospital in 2020 and in failing health forever.

Ivan Krasko (1930) Atleast 10 hospitalisations in the last 2 years and has had two strokes since reaching 90. 

Tatyana Piletskaya (1928) was ill with covid in 2020, "deteriorated sharply" and refused medication. Seemingly recovered. 

Controversial turkologist Mirfatyh Zakiev (1928-2023) has been decrepit for a long time.

Lyricist/poet Nikolai Dobronravov (1928-2023) and composer Aleksandra Pakhmutova (1929) were both hospitalised with rough covid in January 2021. 

Aleksandr Zatsepin (1926) had a bad fall some years ago requiring weeks of hospitalisation but is still working. Soviet football "legend" Nikita Simonyan (1926) also had a hospitalisation some years ago but seems indestructible.

Margarita Terekhova (1942) Soviet actress. Suffering from dementia for more than a decade, maybe two. In 24/7 care and also survived covid some time ago. 

Bedros Kirkorov (1932) Hospitalised with heart, lung problems atleast three or four times the last year.

Leonid Roshal (1933) Pediatrician hero-turned Putin bootlicker, said to suffer from Parkinson's and brain tumors and had an ICU stay some months ago. 

Gleb Panfilov (1934-2023) Stroke and pneumonia around May.

Lyudmila Porgina (1948) Hospitalised with head injury in May and has been in failing health for a while. 

Nikolay Drozdov (1937) "Russia's Attenborough", has been hospitalised with broken ribs atleast twice and also has other health problems. 

Anatoly Romanov (1948) Permanent brain damage since 1995. Wheelchairbound and ultrafrail.

Gennady Zyuganov (1944) Communist leader following Gorby, Ryzhkov and the end of the Soviet Union. Hospitalised with Zhirinovsky in 2022.

• Like 1

On 04/07/2023 at 00:03, arghton said:

Alexander Mitta, Russian director, screenwriter, actor in ICU after suffering a stroke.

I don't trust Russian media or Russian sites a lot, but here's a list of some of those Russian personalities who've been in failing health/ICU/dying/hospitalised in recent years:

Controversial turkologist Mirfatyh Zakiev (1928) has been decrepit for a long time.

One less! Mirfayth Zakiev finally dead at 95.

• Like 1

Gleb Panfilov (1934) Stroke and pneumonia around May.

Gleb Panfilov dead at 89.

• Like 3

Lyricist/poet Nikolai Dobronravov (1928) and composer Aleksandra Pakhmutova (1929) were both hospitalised with rough covid in January 2021. 

Nikolai Dobronravov dead at 94.

• Like 3

Alexandra Pakhmutova was hospitalised last week, officially for routine check-up.

Now she is also suffering from fever and cough, but negative to COVID. Said to be stable anyway.

• Like 1