Sign in to follow this  
Bibliogryphon

Sir John Hurt

Cough, whatever their relative merits neither Doctor Who nor wrestling are John Hurt, cough.

But John Hurt is Doctor Who

John Hurt was The Doctor. More specifically he was the War Doctor in the episode "The Day of The Doctor". "Doctor Who?" is the question that gets asked when he replies when asked his name.

I really hoped we weren't going to get into this debate. I used the full title of the programee to counterpoint the comment that had previously been made. Having portrayed the titular character he can be considered as an embodiment of the spirit of the whole show.

This year we have a one on one showdown DW vs Wrestling with Peter Sallis against Jake 'the snake' Roberts.

Winner takes all?

It's just one of those things that niggle me. I get the same when people refer to monster from Frankenstein as being Frankenstein himself. The monster was never given a name.

Yeah, like, if he had been given a name like, er, Kenneth or Herbert, it would have made him more of a rounded, slightly loveable character or summat.

Mary missed a trick there.

PS: That's Mary Shelley not MPFC, MPFC is fucking genius.

I hope they never reveal the Doctor's name. It'll be much like an anti-climax similar to when they revealed Inspector Morse's name.

I'd bet it'd be something like Singh or Patel.... aren't most doctors in the UK either a Singh or Patel??? Not being racist... just an observation as my childhood doctor was a Mr Singh, and a quick Google for Dr Singh shows at least 127,000 hits... An a related matter how about having Sanjeev Bhaskar play the Doctor (and he's already played a doctor and funnily enough, not a Singh or Patel). I think the new guy is talented but seems to be holding back on his persona as if he doesn't want to start an "in the thick of it" parody.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cough, whatever their relative merits neither Doctor Who nor wrestling are John Hurt, cough.

John Hurt was The Doctor. More specifically he was the War Doctor in the episode "The Day of The Doctor". "Doctor Who?" is the question that gets asked when he replies when asked his name.

I really hoped we weren't going to get into this debate. I used the full title of the programee to counterpoint the comment that had previously been made. Having portrayed the titular character he can be considered as an embodiment of the spirit of the whole show.

This year we have a one on one showdown DW vs Wrestling with Peter Sallis against Jake 'the snake' Roberts.

Winner takes all?

It's just one of those things that niggle me. I get the same when people refer to monster from Frankenstein as being Frankenstein himself. The monster was never given a name.

Yeah, like, if he had been given a name like, er, Kenneth or Herbert, it would have made him more of a rounded, slightly loveable character or summat.

I hope they never reveal the Doctor's name. It'll be much like an anti-climax similar to when they revealed Inspector Morse's name.

I'd bet it'd be something like Singh or Patel.... aren't most doctors in the UK either a Singh or Patel??? Not being racist... just an observation as my childhood doctor was a Mr Singh, and a quick Google for Dr Singh shows at least 127,000 hits... An a related matter how about having Sanjeev Bhaskar play the Doctor (and he's already played a doctor and funnily enough, not a Singh or Patel). I think the new guy is talented but seems to be holding back on his persona as if he doesn't want to start an "in the thick of it" parody.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have no idea, then again my doctor's last name from when I was a child, was Murphy.

Winner takes all?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Did I ever tell you chaps about our notorious Australian Dr Patel? He was banned for life for gross incompetence after killing three patients in botched operations. It was one of the biggest medical scandals ever:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-15/jayant-patel-barred-from-practising-medicine-again-in-australia/6472234

What a pity he didn't operate on any DL candidates. (Oh yeah, and "Who" is the Doctor's last name. Just ask Peter Cushing. ;) )

• Like 1

John Hurt talking about how there is too much political correctness nowadays, and his new radio play:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/aug/11/modern-life-homogenised-not-much-fun-says-john-hurt

He briefly mentions the irony of playing someone who was also diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, but went on to live for more than thirty more years. He says his own treatment is going "terrifically well".

Sorry to interrupt the Doctor Who/wrestling discussion.

• Like 2

John Hurt talking about how there is too much political correctness nowadays, and his new radio play:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/aug/11/modern-life-homogenised-not-much-fun-says-john-hurt

He briefly mentions the irony of playing someone who was also diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, but went on to live for more than thirty more years. He says his own treatment is going "terrifically well".

looks like he'll see 2017 then

I'd like him to do a Wilko, to be honest, not just because he's one of my favourite actors, but because if he does die now, it feels like we'd have been robbed of a decade or so of further performances.

I wish that was true, but Jeff Bernard had pancreatitis, not pancreatic cancer.

no, it was diabetes

Oops, I thought it was just a different term for the same thing.

I'd like him to do a Wilko, to be honest, not just because he's one of my favourite actors, but because if he does die now, it feels like we'd have been robbed of a decade or so of further performances.

I was wondering which roles the papers would focus on if he were to die in the near future. I was thinking that they might concentrate on The Elephent Man but others might highlight Doctor Who or Alien.

Naked Civil Servant, Clavdivs, Who and Elephant Man, mostly.

I doubt Heaven's Gate will get a look in.

The broadsheets will definitely give a mention to his theatre roles.

I count myself fortunate to have seen him perform a production of Krapp's Last Tape at the Barbican Theatre back in about 90/91

I think you'll find that it's Claudius as opposed to Calvdivs.

I think you'll find that it's Claudius as opposed to Calvdivs.

It's an old joke.

The broadsheets will definitely give a mention to his theatre roles.

I count myself fortunate to have seen him perform a production of Krapp's Last Tape at the Barbican Theatre back in about 90/91

The most famous person I've seen in theatre was Sylvester McCoy.

Never mind that shit, Jack Gold, who directed Hurt in 'The Naked Civil Servant' in 1975 has died aged 85...

no, it was diabetes

I knew he'd been unwell.

• Like 1

Winner takes all?

Wrong thread but I don't care :)

The director of that last Morse naming episode has died, Jack Gold at 85.

Married to Denyse Alexander, he'd be better known for directing Aces High and Escape from Soribor which I find hard to believe was 1987.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/aug/11/jack-gold

no, it was diabetes

He did have diabetes, but he also suffered from chronic pancreatitis and was hospitalised several times because of it.

I can`t help but wonder whether Sir John is not being completely honest about his prognosis.Don`t get me wrong I really hope his prognosis is good but pancreatic cancer even when caught early usually claims you within a year or two.

I can`t help but wonder whether Sir John is not being completely honest about his prognosis.Don`t get me wrong I really hope his prognosis is good but pancreatic cancer even when caught early usually claims you within a year or two.

you seem to forget that he us a celebrity that can afford experimental treatment. I'd say keep off for 2016 unless his cancer becomes worse

you seem to forget that he us a celebrity that can afford experimental treatment. I'd say keep off for 2016 unless his cancer becomes worse

True

I was wondering which roles the papers would focus on if he were to die in the near future. I was thinking that they might concentrate on The Elephent Man but others might highlight Doctor Who or Alien.

How was his version of 1984 received? Not one of his most memorable roles?

Depending on the newspaper, some of them will mainly recall his chestburster death in Alien, that's his eternal gift to the history of cinema. And some web magazines will also mention his role in 'V for Vendetta' (those probably also mention his role in 1984). And, of course, as written above, some teenage magazines will only call him "a Harry Potter actor".

How was his version of 1984 received? Not one of his most memorable roles?

Worthy but dull

Best remembered for the soundtrack.

• Like 1