Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Shaun`s Death By Numbers

Let's see if I get an obit for the passing of former University President Rev. John Schlegel. I guess it's a bit on the unlikely side, but I wanted to test the reach of these american obit sources.

Edit: Does it count if Associated Press (AP) creates the news for other sources, but doesn't have it on their page? Like, this here: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/16/former-creighton-president-schlegel-dies-at-72/ iscopy/pasted from AP, like many news pages do.

Yes that would count but you link doesn`t seem to work.

Ah, the "is" from my sentence made it into the link...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/16/former-creighton-president-schlegel-dies-at-72/

Yep that counts just as the obituary has been provided by the associated press.

The Unknown man :213

Sir Creep:167

gcreptile:142

Death Impends:141

Shaun of the Dead :124

Morbidkid :121

Bibliogryphon:102

Grim up North :101

Captain Chorizo:73

Maryportfuncity:64

Handrejka:50

Rotten Ali:50

Jiroemon Kimura:19

Deathray :17

msc:15

Updated for Schlegel (another name I hadn`t heard of).That puts Sir Creep and gcreptile in second and third place respectively but both still a wide margin behind the unknown man.Also just checked and no one had Warren Mitchell.I could have sworn I saw his name on my master list but I am pretty sure I must be mistaken.

It's turning out to be an interesting contest. The Unknown Man is leading with his slow-but-steady approach of choosing the right nonagenarians, whereas I, for example, chose younger and riskier types (in terms of obitability and of mortality chance). And the Unknown Man is leading even though the setup of this contest is more discriminatory age-wise than the DDP. For example, in the DDP, the death of Maria Gaidar (Russian defector to the Ukraine) would yield the points of 2 Helmut Schmidts (10 points vs. 5 points). But in Shaun's Deadpool, her death is like 4,5 Helmut Schmidts (82 points vs. 16 points). And in addition, choosing riskier types should be better in Shaun's Deadpool with 50 names, than in the DDP with only 20 names. There is a better chance that at least one of those risky picks, like, say, George Zimmerman, or some young terrorist, comes through and counts. In the DDP, picking 20 nonagenarians that actually die might just barely be enough to win (with 105 points), if we go by experience of the last couple of years. So, if this contest is set up to favour "gambling" a little more, then picking 50 nonagenarians that actually die (small chance of that, but I'm just writing down my thoughts), "shouldn't" be enough to win. But the counter-argument against this is that a contest just running for a couple of months, does not last long enough to statistically lead to this advantage of risk over reliability. Let's see how it goes on...

Should've mentioned this earlier probably, but I had Michael C. Gross and he got a BBC obit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34857388

Good, I'm rooting for you to win!

Edit: Oops, I thought this was the DDP thread.

Well, I'm not in this deadpool either, so I guess I can still root for you.

I'm pretty impressed with the carnage what with many teams over 100 and we only started 90 days ago or so. I think I have 6 hits, and for 3 months give myself an 'atta boy'. Expect to see a fair number of my survivors in DDP and elsewhere.

5 weeks to go. Or are we rolling to June 30? ;-)

SC

Updated for Douglas North, Michael C Gross and Holly Woodlawn.Woodlawn`s death has proven really significant with the Unknown Man pushed to third place:

Death Impends: 232

Shaun of the Dead :226

Sir Creep:213

gcreptile:208

Bibliogryphon:158

Handrejka:124

Maryportfuncity:120

msc:105

Rotten Ali:78

CasketsUnderstandNoTitles 28

Updated for Janner ,Hill and Bockwinkel.Certainly looks interesting at the top now.Let me know if there are many mistakes or omissions etc.I will be checking the list again after christmas to check everything is in order .I will be using the masterlist to see if anyone has cheated ha:P.No but in all seriousness I am prone to making mistakes so it is chiefly for my benefit.I will post details of the 2016 pool in a new thread for my benefit as it would make it too hard to continue it over given the high volume of candidates and teams.

• Like 1

Sadly, I think I only have 208 points, unless I missed something...

Sadly, I think I only have 208 points, unless I missed something...

Cheers for that not sure how I miscounted that.Sadly I am under a lot of stress at present so I may have made more mistakes.If anyone notices them please let me know.Rest assured though I will double check all figures this weekend when I am on holiday.Apologies !

Hey Shaun, just wondering if I am to enter a team for next year whether there are new or refined rules for your competition.

I hope things are a little less stressful for you and that you are keeping your chin up.

We starting in January then? I dare say I'll be using quite similar lists for this and DDP as I'm little concerned with the 'obitableness' for DDP.

SC

Nick Bockwinkel died in November - qualifying obit from the Digital Spy.

Jimmy Hill obit

Greville Janner too

EDIT - Yes, the Sir Creep obit counts as its already been counted. 2am brain, sorry.

Jimmy Hill obit

Greville Janner too

EDIT - Yes, the Sir Creep obit counts as its already been counted. 2am brain, sorry.

Word of my demise has been prematurely ejaculated, bloody BBC.

SC

• Like 2

Jimmy Hill obit

Greville Janner too

Word of my demise has been prematurely ejaculated, bloody BBC.

SC

:lol:

I was referring to the Schlegel chap - saw an obit, posted it, swiftly realised I was four weeks behind everyone else, and edited it out of existence.

Updated for Douglas North, Michael C Gross and Holly Woodlawn.Woodlawn`s death has proven really significant with the Unknown Man pushed to third place:

Updated for Janner ,Hill and Bockwinkel.Certainly looks interesting at the top now.Let me know if there are many mistakes or omissions etc.I will be checking the list again after christmas to check everything is in order .I will be using the masterlist to see if anyone has cheated ha:P.No but in all seriousness I am prone to making mistakes so it is chiefly for my benefit.I will post details of the 2016 pool in a new thread for my benefit as it would make it too hard to continue it over given the high volume of candidates and teams.

Hey Shaun, just wondering if I am to enter a team for next year whether there are new or refined rules for your competition.

I hope things are a little less stressful for you and that you are keeping your chin up.

Yes I will be starting a new thread for 2016 .I am not doing too badly thank you.

• Like 1

Cheers Shaun and good to hear you are doing ok.

I've seen the thread and I'll drop 50 names on the thread when I've had a think and eliminated most if not all of the ones I've chosen for the other competitions.

I had both janner and hill.

I had both janner and hill.

Morbidkid :149

Sorry MorbidKid.You had Janner but I can`t find Hill on the list.Apologies for missing you out.You spelt some names wrong which sometimes means they don`t come up on the search!

According to my records I had both Janner and Hill

This has already been added but confused me because you edited the earlier post. As you were.

Death Impends: 255

CasketsUnderstandNoTitles:90

Congratulations to CasketsUnderstandnoTitles who was the only player to bag Lemmy and earn 45 points.Sadly there are no unique hit points in this game.i know a few people including myself had picked him for next year but oh well!Death Impends though has increased his lead over yours truly with the death of Ellsworth Kelly!I will be crowning the winner on the 2nd or 3rd January.Depends how hungover I am from New Years Eve !Hits will only be accepted if they occur before midnight local time on the 31st December whether that is in Australia or America.The death also must be reported in a qualifying obit before 12pm GMT on the 1st January.That is the absolute cut off point.

CasketsUnderstandNoTitles:73

Congratulations to CasketsUnderstandnoTitles who was the only player to bag Lemmy and earn 45 points.Sadly there are no unique hit points in this game.i know a few people including myself had picked him for next year but oh well!Death Impends though has increased his lead over yours truly with the death of Ellsworth Kelly!I will be crowning the winner on the 2nd or 3rd January.Depends how hungover I am from New Years Eve !Hits will only be accepted if they occur before midnight local time on the 31st December whether that is in Australia or America.The death also must be reported in a qualifying obit before 12pm GMT on the 1st January.That is the absolute cut off point.

Just a bit of tidying up, you've still got me listed as Deathray? Not sure whether those 17 points need added to my Caskets total or whether you just need to remove them.

CasketsUnderstandNoTitles:73

Just a bit of tidying up, you've still got me listed as Deathray? Not sure whether those 17 points need added to my Caskets total or whether you just need to remove them.

Ah sorry I was unaware you had changed your username that explains why the leader board has been confusing the shit out of me lately ha!

I have edited the list accordingly