gcreptile

21. Vanessa Redgrave

Just saw the end of it.I concur she sounds awful sadly.

• Like 1

Just watched Call the Midwife and while Vanessa sounds weak Judy Parfitt looks frail now and Miriam Margolyes is also  looking her age.

She's been made a Dame in the New Year's Honours. Somewhat surprised she accepted given her renowned Hard Left political views. 

Just now, Deathrace said:

She's been made a Dame in the New Year's Honours. Somewhat surprised she accepted given her renowned Hard Left political views. 

She was offered in 1999 and rejected it. She must have mellowed in her old age. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

She was offered in 1999 and rejected it. She must have mellowed in her old age. 

Maybe she knows the end is nigh and she's less fussed about principles and more focused on legacy. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Maybe she knows the end is nigh and she's less fussed about principles and more focused on legacy. :rolleyes:

Bet she is thinking about the obituaries. Dame Vanessa sounds much more serious. 

• Like 1

On 25/12/2021 at 20:40, RoverAndOut said:

Just started the Call the Midwife Christmas special and she sounded rough as anything doing her spoken intro. Enough to notice, and enough to make me wonder if she'll be around to do it next Christmas. Merry Xmas, all.

Very surprised she was dropped this year.

• Like 2

Just heard her tonight and she sounds worse than she did in Christmas special.

11 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Just heard her tonight and she sounds worse than she did in Christmas special.

Agree. I am wondering if they going to retire the voice of Jenny at the end of this series..

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Agree. I am wondering if they going to retire the voice of Jenny at the end of this series..

It didn't make any sense for her to keep narrating the episodes after Jessica Raine left.

• Like 1

Just now, dodrade said:

It didn't make any sense for her to keep narrating the episodes after Jessica Raine left.

They simply didn’t want to change the format. But I suspect they will have to as I am not sure she will be alive for much longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dodrade said:

I agree with this. And if and when they do lose Vanessa (either through choice or death), I could see them getting either Jenny Agutter to do it as Sister Julienne watching her girls, or else Miriam Margolyes as the all seeing but not always present Mother Mildred. Both of whom would make more sense.

I can see Jenny Agutter taking over has she has that calming presence good for narration. Miriam Margolyes is too chaotic.

55 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I can see Jenny Agutter taking over has she has that calming presence good for narration. Miriam Margolyes is too chaotic.

MM was the voice of the caramel bunny - not chaotic at all!!!!

• Like 1

Just been announced as staring as Mrs Higgins in My Fair Lady for 16 weeks from May to August. I have tickets in June and hopefully she will be on so I can form spot. I am amazed she is well enough. I know the part is quite small and is often played by very elderly stars but still.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 03/01/2022 at 12:54, ladyfiona said:

Shame mind, not that many voice over opportunities on telly shows that big and it's the chance of a comeback for Daniella Westbrook - it's not like her face would hold up under film lights for more than half an hour, is it?

Looked frail when My Fair Lady opened the other week and has now missed two weeks of performances with no reason given. 

• Like 3

Has finally quit the production of My Fair Lady after only making a few performances due to complications resulting from a Covid infection. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Received honours from Prince of Wales: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11311317/Dame-Vanessa-Redgrave-Commander-British-Empire.html

She's still standing better than she ever did...

Looks like she has lost quite a bit of weight. Surprised by the fact that she has no oxygen tank.

16 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

https://deadline.com/2022/12/killing-eve-jodie-comer-evening-standard-theater-awards-prima-facie-1235195970/
Was awarded a special award at the Evening Standard theatre awards. And she attended to collect it but looks frail. 

It's not a very flattering official photo tbh.

evening-standard-theatre-awards-in-assoc

1 minute ago, msc said:

It's not a very flattering official photo tbh.

evening-standard-theatre-awards-in-assoc

Frail yes but notably doesn't appear to need a stick or a wheelchair and has an upright posture. Might do at least a couple more years if cancer doesn't intervene. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Frail yes but notably doesn't appear to need a stick or a wheelchair and has an upright posture.

So, not frail then.

• Like 1