Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

So, How's Your 2016 Shortlist Looking?

I've knocked down the shortlist from a scary number (that list from the other week wasn't even a 1/5th of it!) to around 50. Then it'll be a matter of which ones seem most ill on December 30th. And who gets bumped off the list by the post-Christmas celebrity moving into a hospice with end stage pancreatic cancer.

There is a person (who I don't expect to be unique but I won't name them anyway just in case), who was the first name on the shortlist this year, as they announced in January they had terminal cancer. Would probably get a BBC obit, and hasn't been mentioned on here at all yet, but I'm unsure how terminal their terminal cancer is. They've not exactly shortened their workload yet!

Hmmm, well there was one person who was diagnosed with pancreatic C about Dec 2014, who hasn't been mentioned here and I certainly didn't expose the name. We may be talking same person, maybe not. Only two clues: SHE is an AMERICAN. I used her as an alternative in one DP.

I joined two pools that required 3 alternative names, and of the 6 people I used as alternatives, 4 have died (Molinaro, Mankell, Nimoy, Kerkorian). I need to have better judgement!

SC​​

PS: I scolded many for choosing Aherne in 2015 cuz her condition just didn't point to it. It looked like a 3-year adventure to me, given her prognosis and diagnosis. So this is the first year IMHO to 'think' about her, and 2017 she seems a solid pick. Means she's dead by Sunday. ​

Different person.

And I've scolded myself, especially as I picked her over Richie Benaud!

Looks awful now. Accidentally deleted my notepad a few minutes ago with all the names I saved from 2015

Ooft. Recovery time.

Looks awful now. Accidentally deleted my notepad a few minutes ago with all the names I saved from 2015

That reminds me, I've finished my deadpool teams, gotta start planning my shadow list. Only 4 weeks till 2016!

For those who have Holly Woodlawn on your shortlist, it is doubtful she will live another week:

https://www.gofundme.com/BringHollyHome

Farewell to a great actress and person. :(

GREAT?

So she's in say Elizabeth Taylor's category? Or is there another word beyond Great for those actresses?

Or have we watered down the word 'great' so that everyone gets a Participation Trophy?

SC

94338.png

• Like 2

For those who have Holly Woodlawn on your shortlist, it is doubtful she will live another week:

https://www.gofundme.com/BringHollyHome

Farewell to a great actress and person. :(

GREAT?

So she's in say Elizabeth Taylor's category? Or is there another word beyond Great for those actresses?

Or have we watered down the word 'great' so that everyone gets a Participation Trophy?

SC

Iconic.

2016's Ray Price.

How did that turn out again? Oh yes.

Got a rudimentary 20 together but nowhere near happy enough with it. Feel like there's a distinct lack of Inspirational Cancer Battlers in the press these days, maybe the Mail has finally got fed up with them?

Got a rudimentary 20 together but nowhere near happy enough with it. Feel like there's a distinct lack of Inspirational Cancer Battlers in the press these days, maybe the Mail has finally got fed up with them?

I lost two of mine this month, Ken McHugh and Heather McManamy.

Got a shortlist of 30 currently, cutting one or two folk a day, adding on any sudden terminal cases I stumble across. As my tactics before have consisted of "Well, so and so's getting on a bit", the actual looking into it is a bit new to me. Most of the folk I thought would be certs have been whittled off the list though - people keep getting healthier! This includes my proposed joker at one point, who went from dead cert to suspected attention seeker in my mind some time ago.

One person who hasn't shown up on my shortlist at all is Kris Travis. He's almost certainly going to die (though his twitter is rather chirpy for a man likely dead by Summerslam) but, in accordance with me and Death Impends chat on the matter earlier in the year, I don't want to pick someone else's unique pick, even if others will. It's bloody annoying when it happens to you (see Derek Martinus, which was worse as I handed an unique to someone else!).

Down to about 40, obviously heading into massive cuts territory. Not terribly confident 'bout the upcoming year either, but we'll see. It is funny, I mentioned I had five locks last post I made in this thread, yet three of those are no longer the case, and only one (Woodlawn) was due to death... the other two were due to marked recoveries!

Travis is on the shortlist for me, however I believe he's the only one on there who I was first aware of through seeing him on another person's DDP roster...

• Like 1

Actually I'm the opposite, and wrote down obvious ones and a few that were real close and a couple I expect to be winners as solo hits. I've got 18. 2 slots to fill, what was the ruling on conjoined twins??? That's a bloody serious question. Actually I've got 3-4 equally viable names and I'm going to have to make some tough decisions.

For 50 name lists I'll be more judicious.

SC

Just added all my teams/lists into my signature. Didn't feel like waiting till December 31st, and I don't really have any picks that would probably be unique.

All my teams have been submitted save for Hartlepool DP (ready to go, but waiting until after 26 December so as not to incur the wrath of RA) and Inverse DP which we have to wait for anyway until mid-January.

Given I've tried not to overlap teams with the same names, surely, SURELY, I'll get a qualifying hit worth points in 2016. If all my names on all lists survive 2016, I'll take suggestions for forfeits on 1 January 2017. If I'm spared myself of course.

Recycle bin?

Recycle bin?

Thankfully was able to restore notepad settings.

Now the dillema is figuring out the last few spots. Probably the trickiest year since I began playing because their are 7 people mentioned on this forum who are 50/50 shots at getting the required obit and all are decent bets not to see the year out.

Guest Deb E.

Might I suggest (unfortunately) the name of Mary Tyler Moore for any of you to put on your lists? She's blind, suffering from the effects of diabetes and is unable to walk. It's only a matter of time. Ed Asner (Mr. Grant) isn't looking too hot either.

Did spend around five minutes researching the current health of a guy who was diagnosed with a brain tumour earlier this year before realising I was looking at the Facebook page of a completely different guy with the same name who also has cancer. I don't think firemen from Ohio will get a qualifying obit.

Did spend around five minutes researching the current health of a guy who was diagnosed with a brain tumour earlier this year before realising I was looking at the Facebook page of a completely different guy with the same name who also has cancer. I don't think firemen from Ohio will get a qualifying obit.

Didn't the fireman version die a few months ago? There might be two entirely different DDP candidates who also have namesake American fireman, of course.

Didn't the fireman version die a few months ago? There might be two entirely different DDP candidates who also have namesake American fireman, of course.

Oooooo I see a theme team in the works American fireman "From Hot to Cold".

I have my list done but would be just as happy with the 'next 20'. I've got a couple I'm not sure will obit and it irks me. I'd rather take a chance in the end I reckon, cuz only the dead can obit and I need people to die. No offense lol.

And I need them under 80 years old.

SirC

Hold on. You research FACEBOOK!? What... "6 months to live" search term and hope you bump into a celeb?

SC

Not started yet. I'll probably do it on the 29th December.

Started yet?

• Like 1

First I had 151 names. Then I reduced them to 134. Then to 125. After that to 100. Then to 83 and after that to 69. Today I seleced the top 50 and also top 20 with 3 subs. I dropped many oldtimers from the top 20:

21. Billy Graham 97 (listed in my DDP team in 2012-2015)

22. Kirk Douglas 99 (2011-2012, 2014)

23. Joao Havelange 99 (2011-2012, 2014-2015)

24. Valerie Harper 76 (2014)
25. Mary Tyler Moore 79 (2015)
26. Fidel Castro 89 (2011-2015)
27. Pope Benedict XVI 88 (2014)
28. Robert Mugabe 91 (2012-2014)
29. King Bhumibol of Thailand 88 (2015)
30. Antony Booth 84
31. Jenny Diski 68
32. Desmond Tutu 84 (2015)
33. Lynne Stewart 76 (2014-2015)
34. Gordie Howe 87 (2015)
35. Daisy Berkowitz 47 (2015)
36. Thor Hansen 68
37. Kristin Hallenga 30
38. John Jay Hooker 85
39. Michael Schumacher 46
40. Jerry Lewis 89
41. Bunny Matthews 64
42. Lilliane Bettencourt 93
43. Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies 81
44. Bishop Geoffrey Robinson 78
45. Tommy Chong 77
46. Gaston Glock 86
47. Jake LaMotta 94
48. Little Richard 83
49. Ian St John 77
50. Val Kilmer 56
I believe 7-9 of them will die in 2016. If I have mistakenly excluded/included any 100% or 0% hit in 2016 listed here (TOP 21-50), I would appreciate if you would let me know. I am also wondering who are the 200% clear (ex Feek, Crowe, Angelil) hits that everybody know?