themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

Because I am nice, I'll bullet point it in detail:

1. Go to Google.

2. Type "Name of Celebrity" first.

3. Then type site:ddpqualifyingobitnewssource.com

4. For example, "Adam Yauch" site:dailymail.co.uk

5. Then, if you limit your search to say, a year, and see any google results on the first two pages of "Adam Yauch gravely ill from all the cancers" or even "Adam Yauch, he's quite cool, you know: An article by a navel gazing idiot" or the like, then you can be assured your man will get a qualifying obit. I know Yauch is fucking dead already, it's just an example.

6. I'm sure if you run your picks through this method, you'll see at least 90% are covered.

7. Here are the sites to check over, taken from The Man in Black's already taking the effort to type them all out:

bbc.co.uk/news
bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts
bbc.co.uk/news/business
bbc.co.uk/news/education
bbc.co.uk/news/uk (that's UK in general, not it's component parts - Scotland, Wales, NI etc)
bbc.co.uk/news/world
bbc.co.uk/sport
bbc.co.uk/newsbeat
bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics
bbc.co.uk/news/magazine

*This excludes local news pages on the website.

Or from the UK versions of the following:

telegraph.co.uk
thetimes.co.uk
ft.com
theguardian.com
independent.co.uk
dailymail.co.uk
express.co.uk
dailystar.co.uk
thesun.co.uk
mirror.co.uk
morningstaronline.co.uk

(this includes those on the death announcements section of broadsheet websites)

...or from these news sites:

uk.reuters.com
news.sky.com/uk
skysports.com
itv.com/news (this also excludes local news pages)
channel4.com/news

8. If you can't find any mention of a pick on one of those, at this close to the new year, its a judgment call. If all goes well, they might nab an obit, but then, as I said before, the folk who struggle to gain obits, nine times out of ten, struggle to get obits in America too.

9. Being American doesn't stop you - many of the past winners have been American, and in fact, I believe Death Impends is too, and he only looks to have lost this year due to some well considered picks having miraculous death bed recoveries.

• Like 1

Just noticed an error in mine re the middle initial of one of my picks. TMIB can you PM you the correct name or is e-mail better?

Just noticed an error in mine re the middle initial of one of my picks. TMIB can you PM you the correct name or is e-mail better?

Either will do...

Grrrr I've got a surefire unique pick with inside info but not convinced of obit chances.....although they might scrape one on the broadsheet death notices.....DAMN WHY DO I TAKE THIS SO SERIOUSLY EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I HAVE ZERO CHANCE OF WINNING!

Fuck it, they're in.

My fairly old and reliable team are in the inbox - doubt I'll find a unique pick amongst them this year.

I've got 17 locked in, about 7 on a standby list, and am waiting till the 30th to see if anyone announces ill health as I missed Mr Dickens (Little) and Mr Goggins (MP) in recent years.

There's also Mary Wilson and Clare Hollingworth on a standby to the standby list, in case, you know, half the team decide to take method acting in a Titanic revival too far tomorrow...

MIB, can I ask a question? In the event that someone is picked, and then one of their family complained to you and demanded the details of the person that had picked them (I don't know why they would do that, but just humour me), would you divulge that information?

MIB, can I ask a question? In the event that someone is picked, and then one of their family complained to you and demanded the details of the person that had picked them (I don't know why they would do that, but just humour me), would you divulge that information?

I think tmib hinted that this happens much more regularly than you'd think earlier in this, or last years, thread.

Either will do...

I couldn't PM you, don't know if your box is full or if you've blocked me :) I've sent an e-mail anyway.

I sent 1 chang each to each theme team as I whined about earlier lol.

Hey I see NOTHING in the rules about a Craig Strickland situation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3377022/Country-singer-Craig-Strickland-goes-missing-feared-dead-friend-missing-storm-friend-s-body-found.html

If he had not found till after the 31st is he 'dead' in the date found? If examiners determine a time of death prior to the 1st does that change things??

Sorry, but this is flipping important. I didn't tell the dude to go missing 72 hours before DDP deadline

SC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3377022/Country-singer-Craig-Strickland-goes-missing-feared-dead-friend-missing-storm-friend-s-body-found.html

If he had not found till after the 31st is he 'dead' in the date found? If examiners determine a time of death prior to the 1st does that change things??

Sorry, but this is flipping important. I didn't tell the dude to go missing 72 hours before DDP deadline

SC

Hm, could be a wasted pick as the 20 members of your team have to be "alive as at 1st January 2016". I guess he's either dead now or on the run or something like that. I think the Deathrace has the rule that the celebrity needs to be "generally believed to be alive", though I guess that Strickland wouldn't fall under that definition either.

I'm guessing MIB has not been around to ease my troubled mind about divulging contact details......having slept on it, I've come to the conclusion that actually I don't think the person would get a qualifying obit anyway, so out he goes.

Two Teams submitted...

Main team...

Joker (Pick 1):Joey Feek

Pick 2:Muhammad Ali

Pick 3:Rene Angelil

Pick 4:Glen Campbell

Pick 5:Jimmy Carter

Pick 6:Martin Crowe

Pick 7:Rob Ford

Pick 8:Zsa Zsa Gabor

Pick 9:Rev Billy Graham

Pick 10:Dr Kate Granger

Pick 11:Goran Hadzic

Pick 12:Dan Haggerty

Pick 13:Clive James

Pick 14:Val Kilmer

Pick 15:Helmut Kohl

Pick 16:Lee Kun-he

Pick 17:Frank Miller

Pick 18:Nick Robinson

Pick 19:Joost van der Westhuizen

Pick 20:Malcolm Young

Theme team...

Dead Funny

Joker (Pick 1):Caroline Aherne

Pick 2:Tony Booth

Pick 3:Jim Bowen

Pick 4:Carol Channing

Pick 5:Ken Dodd

Pick 6:Valerie Harper

Pick 7:Melvyn Hayes

Pick 8:Eddie Large

Pick 9:Penny Marshall

Pick 10:Bill Maynard

Pick 11:Mary Tyler Moore

Pick 12:Bill Murray

Pick 13:Denis Norden

Pick 14:Peter Sallis

Pick 15:Prunella Scales

Pick 16:Liz Smith

Pick 17:Freddie Starr

Pick 18:Jimmy Tarbuck

Pick 19:Frank Williams (Dads Army)

Pick 20:Mike Yarwood

however I have worked on a third, but won't send it in due to not wanting to overload TMIB.

Was to have been called, Gone in 90 Minutes

Jimmy Armfield, Sep Blatter, Chuck Blazer, Stan Bowles, Jackie Charlton, Johan Cryuff, Doug Ellis, Paul Gascoigne, Jimmy Greaves, Joao Havelange, Bill Kenwright, Ray Kennedy, Diego Maradona, Gerd Muller, Fernando Ricksen - new joker, (Pavel Srnicek - dead ex joker), Ian St John, Nobby Stiles, Peter Swan, Ray Wilson (sub on) & Dino Zoff. subs Nigel Callaghan & now Joe Kinnear.

SC

The only precedent I can think of is Steve Fossett, who went missing in 2007, and was found in 2008. It was clear he'd died as soon as his plane crashed, so those who picked him in 2008 were shit out of luck. So close to the new year, its hard to say, but precedent would suggest not to pick them.

• Like 1

Either will do...

I couldn't PM you, don't know if your box is full or if you've blocked me :) I've sent an e-mail anyway.

Probably the former. I never clear it out!

Either will do...

Nothing wrong with a full box :closedeyes::blush::o;):P:lol:

• Like 2

Either will do...

Ahem, I'll do the filth round here, thank you very much :D

FUCK! WHY do you always realise you've missed a MASSIVE OPEN GOAL the minute after you've sent your team in!

SC

The only precedent I can think of is Steve Fossett, who went missing in 2007, and was found in 2008. It was clear he'd died as soon as his plane crashed, so those who picked him in 2008 were shit out of luck. So close to the new year, its hard to say, but precedent would suggest not to pick them.

I would think a medical examiner would quickly determine a time of death around today, if applicable. OTOH maybe he's gone Rambo!

SC​

Either will do...

Ahem, I'll do the filth round here, thank you very much :D

There's always room for a little more filth...

• Like 1

Just submitted my lists, also doing a theme team this year,

Teams submitted (will be posted here soon), good luck everyone!

• Like 1

Regarding qualifying obits, I welcome the streamlining of the sources.

May I ask for clarification please?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk (that's UK in general, not it's component parts - Scotland, Wales, NI etc)

I was wondering why "etc" was used instead of the word "England" ?

Would I be correct in assuming that, as of next year, obits such as THIS one would not qualify?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35190414

And accordingly, I assume that obits such as THIS one would equally not qualify?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34106225

I look forward to the clarification.

Thanks for all of the hard work .

Regarding qualifying obits, I welcome the streamlining of the sources.

May I ask for clarification please?

I was wondering why "etc" was used instead of the word "England" ?

Would I be correct in assuming that, as of next year, obits such as THIS one would not qualify?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35190414

And accordingly, I assume that obits such as THIS one would equally not qualify?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34106225

I look forward to the clarification.

Thanks for all of the hard work .

The first one wouldn't qualify because we are limited to humans and no human has ever been named Ogwyn.

SC