themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

Regarding qualifying obits, I welcome the streamlining of the sources.

May I ask for clarification please?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk (that's UK in general, not it's component parts - Scotland, Wales, NI etc)

I was wondering why "etc" was used instead of the word "England" ?

Would I be correct in assuming that, as of next year, obits such as THIS one would not qualify?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35190414

And accordingly, I assume that obits such as THIS one would equally not qualify?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34106225

I look forward to the clarification.

Thanks for all of the hard work .

Regional bbc pages (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland) will no longer count as legit UK obits, so the above examples would not qualify, although the latter almost certainly got a legit obit elsewhere. UK overall however would, such as this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33082773

"The member themaninblack cannot receive any new messages"

Now what do I do?

bbc.co.uk/news/uk (that's UK in general, not it's component parts - Scotland, Wales, NI etc)

Would I be correct in assuming that, as of next year, obits such as THIS one would not qualify?

And accordingly, I assume that obits such as THIS one would equally not qualify?

Regional bbc pages (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland) will no longer count as legit UK obits, so the above examples would not qualify, although the latter almost certainly got a legit obit elsewhere. UK overall however would, such as this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33082773

Ouch! I thought you were just omitting the really local pages, the ones subdivided into counties.

This seems draconian, considering you are still accepting the Daily Mail with all its obscure nobodies. :huh:

• Like 1

Fair enough, you can legitimately describe Northern Ireland as a region, but England, Scotland and Wales! They are countries, to describe them as regions is retarded.

Fair enough, you can legitimately describe Northern Ireland as a region, but England, Scotland and Wales! They are countries, to describe them as regions is retarded.

OK they are not regions. Northern Ireland is a province, Wales a principality. And you are and always have been a snide, misanthropic cunt of no use or ornament to this forum...Now piss off.

Many thanks for the clarification.

OK they are not regions. Northern Ireland is a province, Wales a principality. And you are and always have been a snide, misanthropic cunt of no use or ornament to this forum...Now piss off.

Fair comment, banged to rights guv.

• Like 1

This seems draconian, considering you are still accepting the Daily Mail with all its obscure nobodies. :huh:

Whilst the Daily Mail is a legimate (well, I suppose that's quesitonable, but that's an argument for another time) source, I also wonder whether it's US-aimed clickbait celebs should be allowed. So many of the so-called 'celebs' have absolutely zero name recognition over here - had anyone really heard of Joey Feek in the UK before doing a search for 'ill people' on the DM website?

Anyway, mine have been entered. Our main team has probably got a unique hit on it who should obit in the UK (ironically, they're probably a dead cert for a mention in the Daily Mail) but they've only been included because my sister who lives in Australia is cynical about a certain person finally getting their arse Down Under after many times cancelling. A bit cryptic I know but all will be revealed by this time tomorrow unless I end up in hospital again (a distinct possibility, and it doesn't have wi-fi). I don't think they'll die anyway. In the last few years adding people to our DDP team is akin to granting eternal life.

• Like 1

@TMIB - You're inbox is full!

Apologies for the relative lateness of this years entries

Main Team: (Deathray's Kervorkian Clinic)

• Martin Crowe
  • Billy Graham
  • Zsa Zsa Gabor
  • Joost van der Westhuizen
  • Rene Angelil
  • Nancy Reagan
  • Joey Feek
  • Jimmy Carter
  • William Frankland
  • Muhammad Ali
  • Richard McKenzie
  • Piet de Jong
  • Clive James
  • June Brown
  • Clare Hollingworth
  • Bhumibol Adulyadej
  • Anthony Booth
  • Stan Lee
  • Abe Vigoda
  • Denis Norden
  • Paul Gascoine
  • Mary Tyler Moore
  • Cliff Michelmore
Theme Team: The Cobbles to a Coffin
  • ​Eileen Derbyshire
  • William Roache
  • Barbara Knox
  • Tony Booth
  • Jean Alexander
  • Johnny Briggs
  • Eileen Derbyshire
  • Thelma Barlow
  • Malcolm Hebden
  • Doreen Keogh
  • Irene Sutcliffe
  • Timothy West
  • Bernard Cribbins
  • Patricia Routledge
  • Prunella Scales
  • Gerald Sim
  • Liz Dawn
  • June Whitfield
  • Julie Goodyear
  • Frank Mills
  • Neville Buswell
  • Prunella Scales
  • Andrew Sachs
Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Post moved to DDP 2016 thread

• ​Eileen Derbyshire
  • William Roache
  • Barbara Knox
  • Tony Booth
  • Jean Alexander
  • Johnny Briggs
  • Eileen Derbyshire
  • Thelma Barlow
  • Malcolm Hebden
  • Doreen Keogh
  • Irene Sutcliffe
  • Timothy West
  • Bernard Cribbins
  • Patricia Routledge
  • Prunella Scales
  • Gerald Sim
  • Liz Dawn
  • June Whitfield
  • Julie Goodyear
  • Frank Mills
  • Neville Buswell
  • Prunella Scales
  • Andrew Sachs

:rolleyes:

• ​Eileen Derbyshire
  • William Roache
  • Barbara Knox
  • Tony Booth
  • Jean Alexander
  • Johnny Briggs
  • Eileen Derbyshire
  • Thelma Barlow
  • Malcolm Hebden
  • Doreen Keogh
  • Irene Sutcliffe
  • Timothy West
  • Bernard Cribbins
  • Patricia Routledge
  • Prunella Scales
  • Gerald Sim
  • Liz Dawn
  • June Whitfield
  • Julie Goodyear
  • Frank Mills
  • Neville Buswell
  • Prunella Scales
  • Andrew Sachs

:rolleyes:

I provided substitutes...

Team sent in.

Luckily, I checked each name from google as I was typing, as someone died during the night. This brings Dr Granger back into the Pan Breed line up, after originally being dropped.

Fucking hell. Six (!) members of my DDP 2016 team died in December 2015 :banghead:

06.12.2015 - Holly Woodlawn
19.12.2015 - Jimmy Hill

19.12.2015 - Greville Janner

28.12.2015 - Lemmy

29.12.2015 - Pavel Srnicek

31.12.2015 - Howard Davis Jr

And after 01.01.2016 nobody dies from that list...

Should one or more of your choices croak it before 31st December 2015, then a substitute will replace him/her.

Does this mean that Howard Davis Jr is replaced by my subtitute or no?

Fucking hell. Six (!) members of my DDP 2016 team died in December 2015 :banghead:

19.12.2015 - Jimmy Hill

28.12.2015 - Lemmy

Should one or more of your choices croak it before 31st December 2015, then a substitute will replace him/her.

How many substitutes did you provide? I only submitted my list yesterday as too many had been dropping dead.

19.12.2015 - Jimmy Hill

28.12.2015 - Lemmy

How many substitutes did you provide? I only submitted my list yesterday as too many had been dropping dead.

I submitted my team today before Howard Davis Jr death. I had 3 subtitutes. Helen Fawkes should take his place, but did Howard Davis Jr die before 31st December or did he die on 31st December? Is there a difference or is it just badly phrased?

That's a very important question for me in a few leagues. He's worth a Dec 31 bonus in leagues I have him in if its the 31st. He's also a legit death in Deathrace correct? Now if it was before midnight local time and the 30th all bets are off.

SC

Don't worry, it counts as a 2015 death, and the first substitute you list will go onto your team as a replacement. Speaking from experience!

19.12.2015 - Jimmy Hill

28.12.2015 - Lemmy

The list of the "couldn't wait a few more weeks"...

14.11.2015: Nick Bockwinkel

6.12.2015: Holly Woodlawn

17.12.2015: Jimmy Hill

17.12.2015: Greville Janner

26.12.2015: Darren Tandy

29.12.2015: Pavel Srnicek

31.12.2015: Howard Davis Jr

Plus people like Brian Sewell, Mankell etc but they were always touch and go.

3 teams sent by email. Your PM box is full, TMIB!

That's a very important question for me in a few leagues. He's worth a Dec 31 bonus in leagues I have him in if its the 31st. He's also a legit death in Deathrace correct? Now if it was before midnight local time and the 30th all bets are off.

SC

The Yahoo! article says he died on Wednesday, so it's the 30th.

One standard team and one theme team, despatched by email.

I managed to find 5 more Rons to fill the gaps!

• Like 2

Is it bad form to post up my teams before 2016? They were emailed over to the DDP email around the 21st December. I'd like to get the post up so I don't have to think about it during recovery period from NYE.

Tbh, on 2015 form, people should avoid my picks rather than steal them!

I think I made the first version of my 2016 DDP team around August or September or so, wait...I'm pretty sure, it was the beginning of August, because the first person on it to die was Buddy Baker.

Let me see if I can think of all the others on my three prospective DDP teams who didn't make it: Oliver Sacks (who died really quick), Phyllis Tickle (blessing in disguise, no obit), Liz Monks (ditto), Brian Sewell, Henning Mankell, Mary Burrows (disappointed for losing a likely unique), Michael C. Gross, Flip Saunders (didn't take long from treatment not working, to being dead), Carey Lander (a joker), Holly Woodlawn, Adele Horin, John Trudell (replacement for Woodlawn who lasted 3 days on my team), Ken McHugh (cancer dad), Heather McManamy (cancer mum), Daniel Fleetwood (the Star Wars fan), Elizabeth Laird aka the "Hug Lady", Lorraine Marsh (cancer bride), Courtney Terry (another cancer mum) and maybe William McIllvaney who was a sub at one point.

That's 20 people, hmm, enough for a team. Let's see, 10 of them were on my main team, 5 on my second main team, and 5 on my theme team.

Is it bad form to post up my teams before 2016? They were emailed over to the DDP email around the 21st December. I'd like to get the post up so I don't have to think about it during recovery period from NYE.

You don't have to post them at all. I never have. Not the DDP teams anyway. You can link to them in your sig once the DDP site's up and running.

• Like 1

You can post it. I posted all my teams on the 23rd, just because I didn't really have anyone unique.

• Like 1