I read that wrong.

I was expecting an owl committing a sex crime...

Splash, the late Ted Kennedy's dog, has died aged 13.

Quite an interesting name for Ted's dog...

Monty the sheepdog has died aged 14. He gained notoriety when as a puppy he broke free from his leash and joined a televised horse race at Fakenham, even jumping a fence.

Continuing the donkey theme, Anapka

"A DONKEY who last year shot to international fame after being forced to parasail above the beaches of southern Russia has died of a heart attack, her minders say. A veterinarian said the heart attack was likely the result of stress brought on by the experience, which sparked an international outcry from human-rights activists and a campaign by a British tabloid to rescue the beast. ... The donkey was attached to a parachute pulled by a speedboat and was in the skies as a result of an impromptu advertising campaign by several entrepreneurial Russians to promote parasailing."

Let me hear you say "Oh, those Russians!"

Horse deaths as reported in tipster thread (damn this search function which works after I post)

Windermere gets its own Nessie.

Daily Mail doesn't believe it, but stops short of calling them bare faced liars. But wait, one of its readers says she saw it too (fifth message down). Meanwhile Fortean Times members are all a fluster, but also a bit sceptical.

Daily Mail doesn't believe it, but stops short of calling them bare faced liars. But wait, one of its readers says she saw it too (fifth message down). Meanwhile Fortean Times members are all a fluster, but also a bit sceptical.

There's been talk about the possibility of a Nessie like creature to be dwelling in Lake Windermere for years. I'll say it's drummed up for the tourism trade

There's been talk about the possibility of a Nessie like creature to be dwelling in Lake Windermere for years. I'll say it's drummed up for the tourism trade

By a consultant at Cap Gemini? No, these people saw something. Just what is anyone's guess. There seems to be some inconsistency in those reports about the number of humps when it's plain that there's four in the picture. I wonder of this creature or anything like it has been in the chip shop in Maryport recently? It's not very far away. Maybe it was a beaver, a wild boar or one of the big cats seen regularly around the country, but 10 mph is quite a speed.

Interesting quote from that article:

A new study shows that the brains of female tufted capuchins become more active when they smell the urine of sexually mature adult males.

That suggests males wash with their urine to signal their availability and attractiveness to females.

So, let me recapitulate:

1. Male tufted capuchin washes with their urine
  2. Female tufted capuchin smells the urine of sexually mature adult male
  3. Brains of female tufted capuchin become more active
    therefore:
  4. Male tufted capuchin washes with urine to signal his availability and attractiveness to females

That's the non sequitur of the year so far.

Smells like somebody's taking the piss.

regards,

Hein

Not so lucky owl

"Panamanian defender Luis Moreno could get up to three months in prison for kicking an opposing team's lucky owl which was struck by a ball after landing on the field. A veterinarian, Camilo Tapia, said the owl went into shock on Wednesday, after having been taken in for treatment two days earlier. It died in a local veterinary clinic in Barranquilla after Tapia was unable to save it."

Video included, not suitable for owl lovers.

[Harry Hill]

So what would happen if a Bengal tiger got through a hole in the fence and into the lion enclosure? There's only one way to find out.... fiiiiiiiiiiight!!!

[/Harry Hill]

And the Bengal tiger would win.