Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

7 hours ago, nantonian2013 said:

One of the first elections I have a vivid memory of (I was a very nerdy 11 year old, whereupon he was elected as Cambs' inaugaral Police & Crime Commissioner). I doubt we will ever see a Conservative MP in Luton in my lifetime (unless we switch to STV and it gets amalgamated with various parts of Bedfordshire - and this assumes the persistence of a "Conservative" party in the UK after the forthcoming general election). 

Luton South does actually get amalgamated with parts of rural Bedfordshire in a boundary change that comes into effect at this coming General Election. No chance of Labour losing the seat at this Election given the national picture but in the unlikely event of another Conservative landslide occurring in the next 10 years, it's not completely impossible though unlikely. RIP to Sir Graham Bright. 

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 16:26, arghton said:

51. Gonzalo Sánchez "Goni" de Lozada Sánchez Bustamante (1 July 1930-) Death rumors in 2021

Dead on Jan 19 but it was reverted???

9 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

Dead on Jan 19 but it was reverted???

Come on, look at the IP edit history! It's not fucking rocket science!

Guy Scott

On 09/08/2021 at 13:28, arghton said:

The other living former president, 77-year old Guy Scott

There's a recent picture of him taken on November 5, 2023 and uploaded to his Facebook account. Wrinkly and crinkly and frail, but not as advanced as I expected, as he can still hold a drink (albeit very strugglingly). One of the things I want to point out is that with some cases in Parkinson's, some days you can stand, and others you can't. My gut told me he would be a 2025 hit.

396984553_718596106953218_34201332605383

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 20:53, YoungWillz said:

Reputable source reporting the death of former Tory MP for Luton East and Luton South Sir Graham Bright: 

John Major’s PPS, subsequently a Police and Crime Commissioner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Bright

Confirmation via the Telegraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2024/01/21/graham-bright-conservative-mp-john-major-margaret-thatcher/

• Like 1

Interesting little titbit

Disaster nearly followed. In a Commons lift en route to hand in Major’s nomination, Bright let go of the paper, which fluttered dangerously toward the lift’s open-grille door. Had the nomination fallen into the lift shaft, the contest would have been a straight fight between Heseltine and Douglas Hurd, but Bright’s late grab for the paper was successful.

• Like 2

John Tomlinson, Baron Tomlinson (wikidead at 84.

Labour MP for Meriden (1974–1979), MEP (1984–1999) and member of the House of Lords since 1998.

Unknown.jpeg.db0e61083cc0020e05e54ebbb87f566a.jpeg

• Like 2

On 08/11/2023 at 22:12, Ulitzer95 said:

Two members of the House of Lords had their memberships renounced yesterday due to non-attendance i.e. they failed to show up for at least one sitting in the last parliamentary term.

They were:

Lord Amir Bhatia OBE (wiki), 91, businessman and former Crossbench peer (later a non-affiliated member) – was suspended for 8 months in 2010 due to dodgy expenses, also had a separate scandal involving "misappropriating" £600,000 from a charity.

Lord Robert Dixon-Smith (wiki), 89, farmer and former Conservative chairman of Essex County Council, forced to apologise in 2008 after saying "N-word in a woodpile" during a debate (not the last time a member of either house has used this idiom).

Anyway, members normally do whatever they can to hold onto their membership. They can take a leave of absence or merely show up to single sitting. Getting kicked out usually means they're very ill. Both of the above names will get QOs so decent DDP suggestions.

Lord Bhatia apparently deceased: https://members.parliament.uk/member/2165/career

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Newcastle councillor and popular deadpool pick Jason Smith has died. TBH, I'm a little worried about obit chances, given the news broke 7 hours ago and I was the first to notice. Surely BBC locals will come through?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Newcastle councillor and popular deadpool pick Jason Smith has died. TBH, I'm a little worried about obit chances, given the news broke 7 hours ago and I was the first to notice. Surely BBC locals will come through?

The Chronicle has it. 

I feel like we forgot about Nigel Taylor tbh and how he didn’t end up QOing after resigning even though he probably should’ve. I’m not saying he won’t get a QO, but I feel we’ve seen this type of case before…

So The Chronicle isn't mirrored by Yahoo, but The Northern Echo is. And, despite them being part of rival media groups (Reach and Newsquest), the stories of Daniel Holland (who wrote the original Smith illness story in November) get mirrored across the publications:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/24066164.newcastle-gateshead-mps-write-sunak-tyne-bridge/

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/tyne-bridge-mps-letter-sunak-28489468

What does this mean? Dunno. But I'm waiting 24 hours before I start going "another fucking No-Q?"

There was - at one point - if you do a Google search, a note via the BBC, where it links to that Chronicle obit, similar to below where it covers local stories l.

But presumably as this isn't an article that is actually ON the BBC, I presume it wouldn't count anyway.

Screenshot_2024-01-25-05-47-27-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I think this morning was his last to get a QO tbh. I think the fact they would rather link a local article rather than actually making a note on his death pretty much confirms to me that it isn’t going to happen. On the bright side, he does join the no name Toto member in the most picked person in the LOTL at 22 teams apiece so at least he gets some sort of nod. 
Though if it makes you guys feel better if I was playing more seriously in the DDP I too probably would’ve picked him. Until Rad mentioned his doubts publicly I did not think about Nigel Taylor at all who was a very similar case to him

I think people are doomwanking he will be a LOTLer tbh. Multiple QO sources reported on his pancan so surely at least one will follow that up with the news of his death. 

I had a unique pick last year with Caroline Page, a similar terminal case as Smith. She jumped straight to QO. I wouldn’t have picked her if BBC didn’t report the news of her health. 

On 08/01/2024 at 22:57, Deathrace said:

Sad to see Neil Kinnock obviously and understandably distraught about Glenys but you'd have to stay he looks good for 81 in this interview 

Neil Kinnock on the Newscast this evening. Looks good but raspy.

Frankly amazed he has no thread, given the dynasty. 

• Like 1

This year sucks so much with deaths that Elahi Bux Soomro has come back to life.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, drol said:

This year sucks so much with deaths that Elahi Bux Soomro has come back to life.

Do we think that this guy was actually born in 1926?

Doesn’t look that old in pics and the 1926 birth year doesn’t seem to be supported by any strong sources.

21 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Doesn’t look that old in pics and the 1926 birth year doesn’t seem to be supported by any strong sources.

Could be.

10 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

His wife has died (hence the mistake) and she was born in 1929.

So, yes, 1926 likely correct.

• Thanks 1

Khamtai Siphandone 100th birthday run held today. Seemingly the first of a large amount of celebrations. Khamtai himself nowhere to be seen but his wife is there.

16 hours ago, drol said:

His wife has died (hence the mistake) and she was born in 1929.

So, yes, 1926 likely correct.

I'm assuming most of the images used in the articles are quite old. Here's one from 2018 of Soomro with Balakh Sher Mazari, Sherbaz Khan Mazari and Ataullah Mengal.

• Like 3