Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

On 21/09/2023 at 09:47, arghton said:

Abdul Taib Mahmud back in Malaysia following a 3-month hospitalisation in Turkey for treatment of a serious bowel obstruction (and possibly cancer).

On the others, Musa Hitam had a brain surgery in April. Michael Chen made an appearance in January and looked like a corpse. Also, Badawi's dementia has worsened a lot during the last year and he's slowly starting to look like those very old Japanese women. A very frail list.

Edit: Sirajuddin of Perlis (not on the list) has also had a multiple-month hospitalisation recently.

Taib Mahmud unwell, and going the Alain Delon route of elder abuse.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I am not sure the illness was public knowledge. 

33 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Illness wasn't know about to the best of my knowledge 

Hey, I'm not the dead pooler, per se. ;)

We know the ins and outs of every African and Asian politician from Shanghai to Timbuktu. :lol:

I'm not blaming anyone. It's just odd nobody here thought "haven't seen Bruton for a while, hmm". 

18 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

We know the ins and outs of every African and Asian politician from Shanghai to Timbuktu. :lol:

I'm not blaming anyone. It's just odd nobody here thought "haven't seen Bruton for a while, hmm". 

A wise man once said, to notice someone is missing you have to remember they exist. :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

A wise man once said, to notice someone is missing you have to remember they exist. :D

Part of the NI peace process. I guess we all look at the NI politicians in that regard.

22 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

In fairness Bruton was one of those who'd pop up for a while depending on the subject and then slink back out of the light for a while etc..  . 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, drol said:

Mohamed Bensaid Ait Idder dead at 98.

I've updated the list...

I think the oldest notable Berber personality is now Mohamed Chafik, 97.

From the list, one (excluding Sheikh Salem, Abdoulaye Wade etc) I am especially impressed is still alive is Syrian Muslim Brotherhood leader Issam al-Attar. He was gravely ill for months between 2019 and 2020 and in ICU again in May 2020.

Former president of Chile Sebastian Pinera dead in helicopter crash .

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 11

2 minutes ago, drol said:

Why are helicopters still so well used.. So many notable deaths caused by crashes.  I suspect eventually they will be banned except for emergency and military use. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Why are helicopters still so well used.. So many notable deaths caused by crashes.  I suspect eventually they will be banned except for emergency and military use. 

This might be one of the first logical things you have said.

Here's another first: I agree with you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Because helicopters are the most efficient way to get to yo mama's house.

• Haha 4
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Because in the last fifty years the helicopter crash rate in the UK is around 1 every three years, making your chances of dying in a helicopter less likely than being killed by a cow in mainland UK. 

Worldwide it's slightly higher than planes but again below deadly cows.

I apologise for any new fear of mooing objects.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, drol said:

At only 74, he’s the youngest Chilean President to die since  Salvador Allende     who died at 65 in 1973.

He’s outlived by 5 predecessors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

For me this is the biggest death of the year so far (the former president of your country dying in a helicopter crash will be something hard to top).

He was like the Dubya of Chile, he was gaffe-prone and the word "piñericosa" was used every time he made a stupid comment or made something silly. He was a mediocre leader imo, his first term was decent but not that good, the rescue of the 33 miners was the highlight of those 4 years, and his second term started horribly with his terrible management of the protests in 2019, although I do think he was very good controlling covid in the country.

I know a lot of people hate him, but I just couldn't.

Here's a compilation of Piñericosas made in 2018. You probably won't find any of these to be funny unless you know spanish (except for 6:00-7:07 which are universally funny).

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

A really controversial political figure and a totally unexpected death, personally I was expecting for former president Ricardo Lagos go first, because he retired from politics a week ago... one to see in the next years. https://chile.as.com/actualidad/que-paso-con-ricardo-lagos-esta-fue-la-drastica-decision-del-ex-presidente-de-chile-n/?outputType=amp

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Baroness Shreela Flather dead aged 89, member of the House of Lords since 1990.

Never heard of this lady before, but she certainly never held back.

"it is pointless for the Conservatives to chase Muslim votes. They are all on benefits and all vote Labour".

Imagine if she had been white and said that!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Never heard of this lady before..

I feel a bit better then, as a political nerd I'd never heard of her either!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

I feel a bit better then, as a political nerd I'd never heard of her either!

In 2015 I learnt the names and constituencies on all 650 MPs, which proved rather useful for my line of work. So short have the subsequent parliaments been and so great the turnover of old > new members that all that memorising became redundant quite quickly! I can't even begin to imagine learning the names of 780+ members of the House of Lords. Think I know about 300 or so, but not through trying!

• Like 6

U.S. Representative Al Green (D-Texas), 76 underwent emergency abdominal surgery. However, Green was well enough to cast the deciding vote against impeaching Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.

Green arrived on the House floor without shoes and in hospital garb. 

• Like 1

On the topic of aging House Democrats, Chicago-area Rep. Danny Davis, who is 82 years old and seeking a fifteenth term in Congress, had AI-generated portraits of him posted on his campaign website as his media person was unable to get Davis "well-groomed enough" for a real photoshoot. 

Lots of rumors about his health and wellbeing. The Congressional Black Caucus generally discourages its members from retiring in order to retain seniority in Congress. However, he's facing a steep challenge in the Democratic primary this year. Have to wonder if he'll pull a John Conyers if he loses. A lot of these longtime Reps and Senators die right after leaving office. 

• Like 1

On 01/05/2022 at 18:44, arghton said:

Ryōko Akamatsu (1929) Two-time Minister of Education.

Ryōko Akamatsu dead at 94.

Also Tetsuo Kutsukake from the list dead at 94.

Also @arghton Shozaburo Nakamura from the list died last year.

• Like 4