Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

2004 is now the oldest US election with both candidates and their running mates still alive. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, FinalChapter said:

2004 is now the oldest US election with both candidates and their running mates still alive. 

Not if you include their spouses. Then it’s 2012

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

Not if you include their spouses. Then it’s 2012

How is this when I learned John Edwards' wife is dead?

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

30 minutes ago, Comped said:

How is this when I learned John Edwards' wife is dead?

Elizabeth Edwards announced she had breast cancer a day after the 2004 election loss. She was very instrumental in his policy on universal healthcare in his 2008 election run, and actually any of his liberal policies. I remember having a real preference for her. John sabotaged his whole political career when he had a child with another woman and committed campaign finance fraud to cover it up. Elizabeth died in 2010. The whole thing was very salacious in a way that I guess we don't really like to talk about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Edwards_extramarital_affair It did show that National Enquirer could be an actual legitimate source for political gossip.

Whole aside, but the woman that John had the affair with is the subject of many Jay McInerney and Bret Easton Ellis stories throughout the 80s-00s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_My_Life_(novel) McInerney's novel also had references to the real life murders of the Brach candy heiress and show-jumping horses that the FBI didn't reveal to the public until several years later: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_jumping_horse_killings I was always kind of fascinated that one of the worst crimes in sports and a political downfall were hidden in these fiction books.

• Like 4

Recent article about former U.S. senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT):

He's said to be in good health, having recovered from health issues he had in his final years in the senate, like skin cancer and breaking his hip. Leahy uses a cane when on long walks but: still goes on these "long walks" most days.

His wife Marcelle Leahy is also said to be doing alright, having finished chemo for a curable form of leukemia.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Joe Lieberman, former Senator for Connecticut (1989 - 2013), has died aged 82. He served as Gore’s running mate on the Democratic ticket at the 2000 Presidential election.

He lost his Joementum.

On 24/09/2022 at 23:57, arghton said:

Willy Soemita, Surinamese politician who was the leader of the Party for National Unity and Solidarity from 1972 to 2019, Deputy VP of Suriname 1988-1990 (only person to ever have held this title) when Henck Arron (1936-2000) was the VP and Ramsewak Shankar (1937-) was the President and two-time Minister of Social Affairs and Housing dead at 86.

Shankar Arron and Soemita were all ousted from their positions in 1990 during the Telephone Coup organized by Ivan Graanoogst who ruled the country for five days until the elderly Johan Kraag (1913-1996) was chosen as the new President by the National Military Council. 

Desi Bouterse dominated Surinamese politics, but in-between his time there, Jules Ajodhia was twice a vice-president, amongst other things.

Because of Bouterse and an interest in Suriname, I had actually heard of Ajodhia.

Ajodhia has died, aged 79. Link in Dutch.

https://www.msn.com/nl-nl/nieuws/Buitenland/surinaamse-oud-vicepresident-jules-ajodhia-79-overleden/ar-BB1kLiJZ

• Like 2

Hans Joachim Meyer, who served as East Germany last Minister of Education from 12 April 1990 to the reunification on 3 October 1990, has died aged 87.

• Like 2

On 27/03/2024 at 21:30, Thatcher said:

Joe Lieberman, former Senator for Connecticut (1989 - 2013), has died aged 82. He served as Gore’s running mate on the Democratic ticket at the 2000 Presidential election.

He was a sub on my deathlist for this year, big rest in peace to him. Those stairs are deadly

Liz Kendall is having a hip replacement.

Progressive US congressman Raul Grijalva announces that he’s been diagnosed with cancer

• Like 3

Who's the oldest living former member of a Parliament now that Zhang Lixiong supuestamente morto?

Wiki says Tomiichi Murayama was a representative.

34 minutes ago, drol said:

Who's the oldest living former member of a Parliament now that Zhang Lixiong supuestamente morto?

According to my list it's France's Jean Turco (b. 19 December 1917), though oldest politician is surely China's Song Ping (b. 30 April 1917).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, drol said:

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

According to my list it's France's Jean Turco (b. 19 December 1917), though oldest politician is surely China's Song Ping (b. 30 April 1917).

AFAIK both of these titles belong to the ROC's Hou Beiren (b. 18 March 1917).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, polar duck said:

AFAIK both of these titles belong to the ROC's Hou Beiren (b. 18 March 1917).

Who is he ? The only Hou Beiren born 18/03/1917 I can find on Google is a painter ??

11 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

Who is he ? The only Hou Beiren born 18/03/1917 I can find on Google is a painter ??

Yes. Hou Beiren was a member of the Fourth Legislative Yuan from 1946 to 1947. After he resigned, he became a painter and moved to the United States.

• Like 1

Ray Lewis, former Deputy Mayor of London under Boris Johnson who Boris rewarded with a CBE in his resignation honours, reportedly dead: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/boris-johnson-academy-bbc-city-hall-newham-b1149034.html

Not only were there allegations of inappropriate behaviour against him (he resigned), old Boris squashed any inquiry into those allegations - the things Wiki doesn't tell you.

Dear god, that and Boris' lusting after that American woman and misusing public funds allegedly to fund her, it's a wonder he hasn't been strung up by his bollocks by the hoi polloi.

On 01/05/2022 at 18:44, arghton said:

KAZAKHSTAN

Vera Sidorova (1934) Former leader of the Kazakh SSR 1988-1989

Olzhas Suleimenov (1936) Former Chairman of the People's Congress.

Vladislav Kosarev (1937) Communist politician, former parliament member.

Omirbek Baigeldi (1939) Chair of the Senate 1996-1999

Siyazbek Mukashev (1939)

Nursultan Nazarbayev (1940) President/dictator 1991-2019/2022

Kazakh politician Omirbek Baigeldi (Wikidead at 84

• Like 3

The daughter of Chuwit Kamolvisit denies claims on social media that he has died, posts what is meant to be a fresh selfie with him:

Chuwit’s daughter denies reports of his death, posts photo with him

However, he's looking a lot better here than he did in those photos from the end of last year:

566000010153201.webp

I'm skeptical.

• Like 1