Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Jack Quinn, former White House council for Bush and Gore between 1995 and 1997 (doesn't seem to have done anything of note though), dead at 74:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2024/05/09/jack-quinn-white-house-counsel/

Chrisn Cannon, former Republican member of the US House of Representatives from Utah (from 1997 to 2009) dead at 73:

https://kslnewsradio.com/2101265/former-rep-chris-cannon-dies/

On 18/09/2023 at 15:23, Captain Hemlock said:

US congresswoman Jennifer Wexton not running for re-election after being diagnosed with “Parkinson’s on steroids”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/rep-jennifer-wexton-wont-seek-reelection-new-diagnosis-parkinsons-ster-rcna105560

Update on Jennifer Wexton:

https://people.com/congresswoman-jennifer-wexton-progressive-supranuclear-palsy-exclusive-interview-8635934

Her illness really seems to be moving fast.

• Sad 1

Robin Currie, Lib Dem councillor for Argyll and Bute's Kintyre and the Islands ward has died. 

On 01/05/2022 at 18:44, arghton said:

JORDAN

Abdelsalam Majali (1925/1926-2023) Prime Minister 1993-1995, 1997-1998. Frail.

Muhammed Bashir Ismail ash-Shishani (1933) Former Minister of Agriculture.

Mudar Badran (1934-2023) Prime Minister 1976-1979, 1980-1984, 1989-1991.

Adnan Badran (1935) Prime Minister in 2005, brother of Mudar.

Zaid Rifai (1936) Prime Minister 1984-1989

Barjas al-Hadid (1936) Parliament member. Seriously injured in an accident in 1957.

Ali Suheimat (1936) Deputy Prime Minister 1991-1993, also held multiple other positions in the govt before 1993.

Ahmad Obeidat (1938) Prime Minister 1984-1985.

Sherif Fawaz Sharaf (1938) Former ambassador to the US and France.

Abdullah Ensour (1939) Prime Minister 2012-2016

Abdelraouf Rawabdeh (1939) Prime Minister 1999-2000

Jordanian politician Ali Suheimat (Wikireported dead

image.png.ed2bc1bd889d69e1583d63130100458f.png

• Like 3

‘Colin Breed, Liberal Democrat MP for South East Cornwall 1997-2010, has died age 76‘

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

‘Colin Breed, Liberal Democrat MP for South East Cornwall 1997-2010, has died age 76‘

Famous for the election slogan "Breed for Cornwall" 

On 06/03/2019 at 19:37, gcreptile said:

Chris Bryant had been all-clear for a while, then back in January he wasn't (skin cancer was found in his lung), but the good news is he's all clear again.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Chris Bryant had been all-clear for a while, then back in January he wasn't (skin cancer was found in his lung), but the good news is he's all clear again.

Just to clear this up – he has not been given the "all clear". In the latest scan they couldn't find any cancer, but he's still going through the immunotherapy and there will need to be consecutive results with no traces before they give him the all clear. Stage four metastatic cancer is very serious, and it could easily return or could easily still be there but they can't pick it up.

I removed him from my long list when he was given the all clear from the skin cancer patch on his head 5 years ago, but this looks like it could be far more worrying so could be a good wildcard for 2025/26. I'm hoping he goes on though. His Parliament books are some of the best historical reads I've ever come across.

Edit: "Now, in years gone by that might have been a death sentence, but thanks to immunotherapy, which I’m now on, my prognosis — my chances of being completely cancer-free in 10, 15 years’ time — are really, really good." – that doesn't actually sound good at all. Time he had his own thread?

• Like 1

Diane Deans, an Ottawa City Councillor for 28 years, has died. She was 65. For anyone who'd espied she'd gone into palliative care last week, you can take her off whatever list you had her on for June.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/diane-deans-who-sat-on-ottawa-city-council-for-28-years-has-died-1.7198785

British politician Ruth Shaw (Wikidead at 97

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Red Death said:

And my memory has flashed back to the Shinzo Abe assassination back in 2022.

It's definitely an attempted assassination. Very little reported of his condition yet except that four shots were fired and one hit Fico, who was picked up from the ground by his security guards and taken to hospital.

Headshot and still no updates? That's probably game over.

Well... this is a clusterfuck.

Apparently, his injuries are not life-threatening.

Edit: Sorry, the reports said he is in critical condition again.

Edited by The Red Death
The reports said he is in critical condition again

According to this source he is out of danger, shot in the stomach, arms and legs.

https://dennikn.sk/minuta/3992660/

According to the government office, Robert Fico's life is in danger.

https://www.facebook.com/robertficosk/posts/pfbid0EnzcChX21jDQeWBw3SQy939exqAucVZiRPYCRFSiqaPig22NfJFae1pPrFZQP78Wl

The Ministry of Health, Interior and the Chief of Police will hold a press conference in 5pm local time.

President Zuzana Čaputová will make a statement at 4:45 p.m.

Sky News just sent a news alert saying he is in a life threatening condition. 

The Telegraph’s email alert focuses on his pro Russian views- are they suggesting those are linked to why he was shot. 

As a politician he wasn't a good guy, but still assassinations are a dangerous road to go down.

• Like 2

Yep, bury it in the Political Frailty thread when there's a perfectly good thread for this news about Fico. :banghead:

Fico, who my phone autocorrected to ‘Fuck’, has been in surgery for three and a half hours so far and is not looking good, according to their defence minister.

If it goes the way it looks like it might, update will follow in the Assassination thread.

If he dies, some other even worse hardliner from his government will probably take the reins of power and start cracking down on any 'extremists' belonging to any political persuasion they don't like. I hope he lives for that reason.