Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Former Pakistanian First Lady Kulsoom Nawaz has been diagnosed with throat cancer. Opting for chemo instead of surgery even though it was caught pretty early on might be a bad call on her part tbh...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Former Pakistanian First Lady Kulsoom Nawaz has been diagnosed with throat cancer. Opting for chemo instead of surgery even though it was caught pretty early on might be a bad call on her part tbh...

I don't know....would you trust your throat to a Pakistani surgeon?

Former Florida state Sen. Greg Evers, described Tuesday as a “down-home gentleman,” died Monday night in a single-vehicle accident near his home.

The accident occurred near Baker, where Evers, 62, had a farm.
SC

On 3/21/2016 at 21:51, Sir Creep said:

Could Oregon in 2017 be the Utah of 2015? According to this article:

1. State Senator Jackie Winters, R-Salem, who missed the session while recovering from heart surgery, is set to drop the final gavel in her chamber.
2. ...That would fulfill what could be the final legislative wish of Rep. Vic Gilliam, R-Silverton, who's battling Lou Gehrig's disease.
SC

Well well well.....

Oregon Sen. Jackie Winters announced Wednesday evening that she is undergoing treatment for lung cancer after a tumor was discovered by doctors toward the end of this year's legislative session.

Winters, 80, said she developed a persistent cough and after some tests a cancerous tumor was located in her right lung. Additional testing concluded that the tumor was "localized and curable," she said.
[Of course it is, honey]

Winters had heart surgery in January 2016 to clear a blocked aorta. She was also hospitalized in 2014 after feeling faint.

In her statement, Winters added that she will continue to serve in the senate and plans on seeking re-election in 2018.
SC

Lacey Putney, the longest-serving state legislator in Virginia’s history who earned the respect of his peers for being a courtly Southern politician, died Saturday. He was 89.

Putney, who served in the House of Delegates for 52 years, will lie in state in the Rotunda of the State Capitol, where flags will fly at half-mast in his memory. He will be the first House member to lie in state since Speaker A.L. Philpott in 1991.
SC

Ebrahim Yazidi, Iranian Minister of Foreign Affairs (April-November 1979) and Deputy Prime Minister (February-April 1979) has died. He resigned his position as the Deputy Prime Minister in protest over the Iranian hostage crisis. From 1995, he headed the Freedom Party of Iran, an outlawed, pro-democracy political party.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 15:44, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm

Not a huge Andrew Neil fan myself because I always found him ponderous - might watch one right the way through in the light of the comments above.

He's not ponderous, he disarms the target before shooting them. Always enjoyable. Personally prefer This Week to Daily Politics/Sunday Politics though, just has a much nicer feel. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:17, msc said:

Another part of the BBC where seemingly every element of the political spectrum seems to think the person is personally biased against them!

So either they're not, or they're biased against shit politicians...

Just look at Nick Robinson and Laura Kunensburg's backgrounds to see why we might think they're Tory reporters for a Tory organization. That job has always been a Tory job.

Aye, but take Robinson and Kuenssberg's backgrounds, and I'll give you  liberal Andrew Marr and staunch trade unionist labour man John Cole, both of whom immediately preceded in the role.

On 7/8/2017 at 15:20, Joey Russ said:
On 1/31/2017 at 20:26, The Dead Cow said:

A Peru leader is consulting doctors on Fujimori's medical pardon.

Fujimori reportedly in intensive care after suffering a 'life-threatening heart complaint'.

9 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

Fujimori reportedly in intensive care after suffering a 'life-threatening heart complaint'.

An interesting dead pooling year this is turning out to be...

On 08/16/2017 at 18:01, Spade_Cooley said:

From that page we get the link to that 'elected in a year ending in '0' ' curse thing which I knew of, but from there , one I hadn't. The bald / hairy Russian leaders one. Epic stuff https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald–hairy

On 08/16/2017 at 18:01, Spade_Cooley said:

From that page we get the link to that 'elected in a year ending in '0' ' curse thing which I knew of, but from there , one I hadn't. The bald / hairy Russian leaders one. Epic stuff https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald–hairy

Funeral details have been announced for long-time State Rep. Camille “Bud” George, D, of Houtzdale, who died Friday afternoon at his home with family by his side. He was 89.
George was elected as a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives for the 74th Legislative District in 1974. He was reelected for 19 consecutive terms, serving for 38 years and retiring in 2012.

He held the distinction of being one of the longest serving legislators in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the longest in Clearfield County.

We just lost the longest serving member of the Virginia House of Representatives this week as well.

SC

• Sad 1

Lord Tim Bell was just on newsnight and looked in terrible shape.He appeared druk then revealed he had a stroke in April.Made little sense and his phone went off twice mid interview and he even showed the presenter his phone when she asked him a question.

Definitely worth a watch.Car crash telly.He helped manage Thatchers 3 successful election campaigns and wven was the one to officially announce her death so highly highly obitable.

8 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

That reduces the no of surviving ministers from the 51-64 tory govt to 4 I think

Wow someone born at the start of that Parliament would have retired by now.