Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Zebulon Carlander - now there's a name to conjure with.

• Like 1

American politician Barbara Cooper (Wikidead at 93

• Like 1

Tony Street, Australia's Minister of Foreign Affairs 1980-1983 (also held other positions in Malcolm Fraser's govt) dead at 96.

Australia has a lot of elderly politicians. Bill Grayden is 102, Elisabeth Kirkby is 101, Wylie Gibbs is 100, Tom Hughes and Bill Nankivell are 99, former Governor of South Australia Eric Neal is 98, Ron Elstob is 97, Hugh Hiscutt and former President of the Senate Doug McClelland are 96 (not sure if Neville Harper is alive, if he is, he's also 96), Bruce Eastick, Bob Ellicott and others are 95.

NZ has a few born in the 1920s (Gray Nelson and former National Party Chairman George Chapman are 95, Hugh Templeton and Colin Moyle are 93. Old populist George Groombridge, still marked living on Wiki, died this year at 94)

Other Oceanian countries + Hawaii and other territories have only* George Ariyoshi, former Gov of Hawaii, 96 and Marshall Islands' former First Lady Emlain Kabua who is 94. I'm amazed by how Emlain Kabua has lived so long, has also been quite frail for the last few years.

Charles Walker, ancient Fijian politician and former Minister of Finance died last year at 92 according to facebook posts.

*Counting those born 1930-1932, there's also 92-year-old Hawaii Republican Pat Saiki, ex-President of French Polynesia Gaston Flosse, 91, Falima Teao of Tokelau who like Visesio Moeliku I doubt is alive and Harish Sharma of Fiji. Average life expectancy of an Oceanian politician seems to be around half of that of a tennis player/Chinese politician.

• Like 2

Balakh Sher Mazari has been in hospital for 15 days.

How do we know it? Well, his grandson was arrested while visiting him in hospital.

• Like 2

On 09/03/2019 at 18:25, drol said:

Former Italian Minister and current Senator Roberto Calderoli, one of the founding fathers of Lega Nord, has had bowel cancer since 2012.

Meanwhile ailing Lega Nord founder Umberto Bossi has been discharged and is now seeking medical attention in Switzerland.

Roberto Calderoli, who is now a minister of the current government, hospitalised amid his ongoing battle with cancer.

Nothing imminent yet, but I think it will get him sooner or later. Guaranteed to get a QO.

• Like 2

Other Lega Nord big Roberto Maroni still receiving treatment for his unspecified illness, which is strongly rumoured to be brain cancer.

• Like 2

Perenially ill Indian political heavyweight Sharad Pawar hospitalised , but expected to be discharged soon.

• Like 2

Perenially ill Indian political heavyweight Oomen Chandy has now lost his voice due to throat cancer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

Perenially ill Indian political heavyweight Sharad Pawar hospitalised , but expected to be discharged soon.

Some of these people aren't that ill, they're just addicted to hospital dinners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pawar is an oral cancer survivor (longtime chewing tobacco user) who had around two gallbladder surgeries last year. He's also had multiple surgeries to remove growth from his mouth during the last few decades.

pawar.png.879bf48baac173d53085bb373f38c761.png

I don't know how ill he is now, but I don't think he'll be alive three years from now.

So now from the old Indian CMs Pawar and Chandy are hospitalised, Shanta Kumar skipped some events due to health reasons two weeks ago, still don't think any of the three will die soon, meaning the next six months.

It's been a while since the last time Shibu Soren or Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee were hospitalised, for those two I think their next hospitalisation will be their last one. Same for Achuthanandan, no idea how he's still alive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Former Green Party candidate for Brighton Pavilion and former MEP for the South East area Keith Taylor, reportedly dead aged 69: https://twitter.com/Green_Elects/status/1587233758540959744?cxt=HHwWgMC8lbSs_oYsAAAA

Must say, I knew just about all of the 2014 UK MEPs. Taylor being one of the exceptions. Forgettable face. Didn’t do anything. He was always just kind of “there”. The other Green MEP at the time, Jean Lambert, was highly effective and worked very co-operatively cross party in order to get things done.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 00:48, arghton said:

From the Despots thread

Mbazulike Amaechi (1929) Nigerian elder statesman who was the first Minister of Aviation.

Chief Mbazulike Amaechi aka. "The Boy is Good", Nigerian independence activist, Minister of Aviation 1963-1966, dead at 93 following illness and surgery that didn't work.

Meanwhile, family fighting for Gaositwe Chiepe's assets.

African politicians born in the 1920s:

Amadou-Mahtar M'Bow, 101: the former UNESCO boss was doing great on his birthday but at 101 you can decline quite quickly..

Gaositwe Chiepe, 100: Seems very ill and declined a lot during the last year.

Grace Onyango, 98: Kenyan ancient politician and first woman to be a Mayor in Kenya. Described as "ailing" four years ago, looked like an ALS patient in October 2022 at the launch of the "Mama Grace Onyango Foundation for Digital Health in Africa".

Driss Guiga, 98: Obese Tunisian politician, looked frail years ago and rumored dead but bounced back and looked quite great in February 2022. Not seen since as far as I know.

Duncan Ndegwa, 97: Another Kenyan ancient politician, looked fine when he launched his new book early this year.

Ali Hassan Mwinyi, 97: Ex-President of Tanzania, rumored to suffer from dementia but seems to be doing fine.

Mohamed Bensaid Ait Idder, 97: Moroccan Berber politician. Said to be suffering from a serious chronic disease but was well enough to make an appearance a few months ago and didn't look very frail.

Gertrude Shope, 97: South African activist and politician. Wheelchairbound in 2019.

Abdoulaye Wade, 96: Ex-President of Senegal, frequently abroad for treatment but still looks fine.

Fanny Friedman, 96?: Former Eswatini health minister. Not 100% sure if still alive.

Ali Haroun, 95: Algerian politician.

Lazhar Karoui Chebbi, 95: Former Justice Minister of Tunisia.

Mengesha Seyoum, 94: Ethiopian royal who served in politican positions when Haile Selassie was still alive.

Michael Dingake, 94: Botswana anti-apartheid activist, writer and politician.

Mangosuthu Buthelezi, 94: Zulu leader discussed here.

Sadek Hadjeres, 94: Algerian communist.

Martin Aliker, 94: Obese Ugandan politician, community leader, advisor to the President etc. Once feared by Idi Amin, crème de la crème cunt who mistreats his bodyguards and drivers.

Jacques Masangu, 93: Congolese diplomat.

Moody Awori, 93: Ancient ex-VP of Kenya.

Ebenezer Moses Debrah, 94 and Samuel Odoi-Sykes, 93: Ghana's own ancients.

Rhoda Kalema, 93: Uganda's mother of parliament.

Anna 'Matlelima Hlalele, 93: Lesotho ancient.

Ahmed Boulaleh Barreh, 93: Djibouti's old Minister of Defence. Turns out to have died already in 2010.

Mohammed Bedjaoui, 93: Algerian politician, lawyer.

Sam Nujoma, 93: Ex-Pres of Namibia.

Jamshid bin Abdullah of Zanzibar, 93: As far as I know the last Sultan to rule a country, dying years ago.

Mohammed Fayek, 93: Nasser & Sadar-era Egyptian minister

A ton of them still living. I wonder how many will be in a year or two.

More:

Joseph Lagu, 93/91: South Sudan ancient.

1930:

Ahmed Osman, former Prime Minister of Morocco

Bulcha Demeksa, Ethiopian Oromo federalist.

Mabandla Dlamini, former Swaziland Prime Minister

Marie-Thérèse Houphouët-Boigny and Maria Nyerere, widows of founding despots.

1931:

Cleopa Msuya, former Kenyan VP and PM.

Sylvester Ugoh, Nigerian biafra politico.

Frédéric Guirma, Burkina Faso politico.

Pié Masumbuko, Ancient Burundi prime minister.

Jonas Mukamba Kadiata Nzemba, DR Congo former governor and diamond company head.

Ebun Oyagbola, Nigeria's first female govt minister.

Aminu Dantata, Nigerian politician. Widowed 2023.

Ali Ben Salem, Tunisian activist.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Must say, I knew just about all of the 2014 UK MEPs. Taylor being one of the exceptions. Forgettable face. Didn’t do anything. He was always just kind of “there”. The other Green MEP at the time, Jean Lambert, was highly effective and worked very co-operatively cross party in order to get things done.

How do you know he didn't do anything if you didn't know him? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time said:

How do you know he didn't do anything if you didn't know him? 

I was very active in the committee rooms and overlooking the plenary in Brussels / Strasbourg. Don’t ever recall him making any significant contributions.

• Like 1

A poor year for British MPs dying?

2013: 28
2014: 31
2015: 27
2016: 25
2017: 36
2018: 31
2019: 20
2020: 33
2021: 26
2022: 12

Seems way too low. Surely the press have missed a few?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Must be the Frank Field factor.:D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I have a lengthy wishlist.

• Like 2

I don't think I'm going to bother with the DDP next year so I might as well throw this one up for grabs:

John Letford MBE (wiki), Lord Provost of Dundee (2001–2012), turns 88 in March. Word on the street is he's been suffering from some form of cancer.

Photo of him from June below (he's in the blue shirt). Noticeably he's lost all his hair.

284948730_107484495324689_8032924440797490923_n-2.jpg.7dcde1e7892b9e05bffd8c0872464b9c.jpg

Controversial figure in Dundee. Guaranteed BBC obit when he dies.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Imran Khan wounded in an  apparent assassination attempt

So, he's got a future as a politician but those pleasant one-off charity cricket matches might be history, then!

• Like 1