Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Anna McCurley, that rare beast of Scottish politics, a former Tory MP for Renfrew West And Inverclyde (1983-1987) dead: https://news.stv.tv/politics/anna-mccurley-bernard-ponsonby-remembers-former-politician-following-death-aged-79

Was shortlisted to run in Tam Galbraith's old Glasgow seat originally. Lost in 1987 to Tommy Graham, the horrid bigot behind the alleged blackmailing that led to Gordon McMaster's suicide. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, msc said:

Was shortlisted to run in Tam Galbraith's old Glasgow seat originally. Lost in 1987 to Tommy Graham, the horrid bigot behind the alleged blackmailing that led to Gordon McMaster's suicide. 

Yeah, it's a quandary - Labour Bigot or Tory, who do you vote for?

I remember McCurley, odd but in a party she never seemed at home in (from the Liberals and returned there latterly), but she did support Thatcher's policies and for that she should never be forgiven. Contrary to Bernard's appraisal, I found her public pronouncements patronising like we were all her little schoolkids.

Makes you wonder why the SNP are doing so wonderfully well these days....what could it be? :P

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Yeah, it's a quandary - Labour Bigot or Tory, who do you vote for?

I remember McCurley, odd but in a party she never seemed at home in (from the Liberals and returned there latterly), but she did support Thatcher's policies and for that she should never be forgiven. Contrary to Bernard's appraisal, I found her public pronouncements patronising like we were all her little schoolkids.

Makes you wonder why the SNP are doing so wonderfully well these days....what could it be? :P

Because folk like Robin Cook and Donald Dewar died off and were replaced with folk like Michael McCann and Alex Rowley... oh hang oh, rhetorical. :D

• Haha 1

Former Ukrainian MP and chairman of the Supreme Council of the Eurasian socio-political movement For United Russia, Oleksiy Remenyuk, has died in a road accident in Crimea.

https://amp.rbc.ru/rbcnews/rbcfreenews/636cbaf29a794787963cb67c

The news went unnoticed amid an array of reports of Stremousov's death in a road accident and retreat from Kherson.

On 12/08/2022 at 23:38, arghton said:

Nguyễn Thọ Chân (1922) Labor minister 1974-1981, former ambassador to the Soviet Union and Sweden.

Nguyễn Thọ Chân not dead but now 100 and he celebrated his 85th year of membership of the Party under two weeks ago:

thochan.jpg.7e11d2602750df9662cb52824acdff8d.jpg

Vietnam's Ambassador to the Soviet Union in the late 1960s. Appointed by the Ho Chi Minh himself. 

Also here's ex-Military Dictator of Ecuador Guillermo Rodríguez Lara last month, a proper last of his kind, closest thing comparable living maybe being Rubén Darío Paredes. Looks embalmed.

guillermorodriguez.png.60a71b7c2634cf03dea02cc027465c77.png

Report from Viktor Cherkesov's funeral

https://www.fontanka.ru/2022/11/11/71809109/

The son of influential St Petersburg businessman Konstantin Goloshchapov, who was allegedly Vladimir Putin's masseur, died three days after his father was searched. The former and current governors of St Petersburg visited Konstantin Goloshchapov's grave after Viktor Cherkesov's funeral.

https://t.me/rotondamedia/4073

https://www.svoboda.org/a/syn-byvshego-massazhista-putina-umer-vskore-posle-obyskov-po-ugolovnomu-delu/32127021.html

Photo: Dmytro Goloshchapov's grave

IMG_20221112_225441_594.jpg

• Like 1

Sergei Lavrov taken ill in Indonesia whilst there on G20 business. ‘A heart condition’ according to ABC news.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, drol said:

According to Russia....

Deutsche Welle cites Indonesian sources.

I think there are lots of possibilities here. Maybe Lavrov doesn't want to return to Russia? He's a clever guy, and not as detached from reality as Putin.

He just appeared in a video on Telegram and is in the hotel. 

On 17/10/2022 at 20:32, arghton said:

There's actually still Aleksandr Sloboda (Russian wiki) left. Never got into as high positions as Malofeyev, Sokolov, Sushkevich and Slyunkov, but older than all them and has outlived all of them. Ancient politician who has held positions since 1944 and his political career seemingly peaked during the Era of Stagnation when he was the Deputy Chairman of the "People's Control Committee" of the BSSR from 1970 to 1985. Since 1985 he has been the Chairman of the Minsk Regional Council of Veterans. 

Celebrated his 102nd birthday in August:

aleksandr.jpg.6ce62c54db08bef1db7344908f308798.jpg

Aleksandr Sloboda dead at 102.

• Like 4

Luiz Antônio Fleury Filho, Brazilian politician, Governor of São Paulo 1991-1995 dead at 73. Most known for being the governor during the Carandiru massacre.

I have to admit, when I saw "Governor of São Paulo" on the Deaths of 2022 page I thought it'd be Paulo Maluf or José Maria Marin. Maluf's in 24/7 medical care as far as I know and the other guy seems very frail.

• Like 4

On 20/10/2020 at 13:02, arghton said:

heimolinna.png.e9fbc408490d218992be9f6acc2296ba.png

Heimo Linna (b. 1925) was the Minister of Agriculture and Forestry in the Sorsa I and Miettunen II cabinets, 1973-1975 and 1975-1976.

Heimo Linna dead at 96.

• Like 1

On 01/05/2022 at 19:44, arghton said:

KUWAIT

Salem Al-Ali Al-Sabah (1926) Minister of Public Works 1962-1964, now Commander of the National Guard.

Ahmed Al-Sadoun (1934) Three-time Speaker of the National Assembly.

Abdullah Bishara (1936) Secretary-General of the Gulf Cooperation Council 1981-1983.

Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah (1937) Emir of Kuwait since 2020.

Ali Mohammed Thunayan Al-Ghanim (1937) Former KCCI chairman.

Mohammed Al-Sanousi (1938) Information Minister 2006-2007

Sheikh Salem A-

Nope, 

Mohammed Al-Sanousi, old Kuwaiti politician, former Minister of Information and one of the founders of Kuwait's State Television being widely reported dead at 84 in Kuwait's media.

Diane Abbott has been granted a proxy vote for the next six month on account of her I’ll health. One to watch maybe. All the other MP’s whi have been granted proxy votes on account of poor heath are SNP mps but Diane is normally quite an active MP and lives in London. 

• Like 1

Michael Gerson, former speechwriter for George W. Bush who (claimed to have) come up with the terms "Axis of evil" and "soft bigotry of low expectations", among others, dead at 58. Had been fighting liver cancer for over a decade.

• Like 5

On 02/08/2021 at 17:53, arghton said:

Living leaders of SKDL (Finnish People's Democratic League):

Ele Alenius (b. 1925) General Secretary 1965-1967, Party Leader 1967-1979. Fucking immortal, suffered a stroke in 2019 but managed to call for help and recovered almost completely. Still seems to be going strong, however possibly declined a bit during the last 6 months? Party VP 1963-1967.

Kalevi Kivistö (b. 1941) Party Leader 1979-1985. Got to 80 in March. A bit "corpsey" physically, mentally still sharp.

Reijo Käkelä (b. 1943) General Secretary 1984-1988, last Party Leader 1988-1990. Couldn't find anything about him from the last 25 years.

Ancient Finnish political leader Ele Alenius might or might not make an appearance at the yearly meeting of incumbent Left Alliance parliament members and former Left Alliance and SKDL parliament members this week (it has been exactly one year since the last time), but as he failed to appear at his 97th birthday celebration in June I doubt he will. Sad to see him decline, truly a great politician and human, respected by nearly all current politicians beyond party lines (arguably) unlike any other living Finnish politician.

SKDL's former Members of Parliament  Mikko Ekorre (1941-2022, ended up dying a week after Alenius) and Veikko Saarto (1934) were already too ill to attend it the last time it was held, a year ago.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Michael Gerson, former speechwriter for George W. Bush who (claimed to have) come up with the terms "Axis of evil" and "soft bigotry of low expectations", among others, dead at 58. Had been fighting liver cancer for over a decade.

Suprisingly not mentioned on these forums before. Here's a Washington Post article from 2013,.

On 14/04/2022 at 20:55, Sean said:

I would say both Biden and Pelosi have good and bad days and are showing signs of cognitive decline especially Biden.He spoke so much better just a few years ago.

Nancy Pelosi steps down as leader of the Democrats in the House of Representatives.

Probably the right time for her.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Nancy Pelosi steps down as leader of the Democrats in the House of Representatives.

Probably the right time for her.

It is notable she is not retiring from the House of Reps entirely, just from leadership.

There is speculation she is prepping her daughter to take over her seat one day. I'd imagine, if she doesn't die in office, she'll be officially stepping down in 2024 or 2026. Pretty notable as she's been the 'demon' of the Republican party for quite some time.

• Like 2

It has now been revealed that the Top 3 Democratic leaders in the House of Reps. will all step down from leadership.

#1 Age 82: Nancy Pelosi, who has been in office since 1987

#2 Age 83: Steny Hoyer, who has been in office since 1981

#3 Age 82: Jim Clyburn, who has been in office since 1993

None have announced they are officially retiring from the House, but I'd imagine it will happen within the next election cycle.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Diane Abbott has been granted a proxy vote for the next six month on account of her I’ll health. One to watch maybe. All the other MP’s whi have been granted proxy votes on account of poor heath are SNP mps but Diane is normally quite an active MP and lives in London. 

That is ominous as she is usually very active in the house.

Who are the SNP MPs  ill and on leave out of interest?