Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Omer Leger, a former Cabinet member in the New Brunswick government of Richard Hatfield, has died. He was 92. Leger was an MLA from 1971 to 1978 and again from 1982 to 1987. He was a former Minister of Fisheries and Minister of Tourism.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1990678/omer-leger-ministre-deces-mort

(French language obit.)

• Like 1

From the Fringes thread:

On 09/04/2019 at 15:57, The Old Crem said:

Mother of Siobhan McDonagh Mp and her sister Margret, peer and former general secretary of the Labour party, dies aged 95.

Margaret McDonagh reportedly dead: 

Diagnosed with glioblastoma in 2021 and treatment quality raised by her sister in the Commons: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/nhs-brain-cancer-symptoms-siobhain-mcdonagh-b2297896.html

Edit: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/22783707/margaret-mcdonagh-dead-labour-emotional-tributes/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Former Tory list MSP for Lothian in the Scottish Parliament, Cameron Buchanan reportedly dead aged 76: https://www.midlothianview.com/news/honorary-president-of-the-midlothian-conservative-and-unionist-association-has-died

Tbf I’m surprised he lasted this long. He was very ill when he was an MSP back in 2016.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2023 at 16:51, arghton said:

Marion Reid, Canadian politician and Lt. Gov of the Prince Edward Islands 1990-1995, dead at 94.

One of the "Prince Edward Islands famous five", when in 1993 five of the most influential positions of government in the province were held by women:

1. Nancy Guptill (1941-2020) Speaker of the Legislative Assembly

2. Pat Mella (1943-) Official Opposition leader.

3. Elizabeth "Libbe" Hubley (1942-) Deputy Speaker of the Legislative Assembly

4. Marion Reid (1929-2023) Lt. Governor

5. Catherine Callbeck (1939-) Premier.

2018 - back row L-R Guptill, Mella, Hubley, front row Reid and Callbeck:

FamousFiveReCreation-2018-touchup.jpg.279bd4969607995865a4ed1a5c80f42a.jpg

‘the first female lieutenant-governor of Prince Edward Island’ (assuming you read the first two sentences of the obit)

you think that would have triggered Female Firsts but I know, you’ve 50+ mastabatory lists what need checking.

Former Tory MP for Blackpool North Harold Elletson reportedly dead aged 62: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/people/tributes-paid-to-former-blackpool-north-mp-harold-elletson-who-has-died-in-berlin-aged-62-4196997

Subsequently became a LibDem, then founded the Northern Party. Ended up endorsing the local Labour candidate in the area.

A man for all seasons.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Former Tory MP for Blackpool North Harold Elletson reportedly dead aged 62: https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/people/tributes-paid-to-former-blackpool-north-mp-harold-elletson-who-has-died-in-berlin-aged-62-4196997

Subsequently became a LibDem, then founded the Northern Party. Ended up endorsing the local Labour candidate in the area.

A man for all seasons.

Clearly an honest man with consistent political principles and undivided loyalty to all his parties. :rolleyes:

On 09/06/2022 at 21:23, arghton said:

Well here's a list of nonagenarian/centenarian South American politicians. Born 1932 or before. Do not quote the whole post.

SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS

Edmund Lawrence (1932) Governor-General 2013-2015

Edmund Lawrence.... well, Edmund Lawrence's successor Tapley Seaton dead at 72.

• Like 3

Former president of Serbia Milan Milutinovic dead at 80.

• Like 6

Former Labour MP Doug Naysmith has died aged 82 reports a statement from Bristol’s current Labour MP’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

Former Labour MP Doug Naysmith has died aged 82 reports a statement from Bristol’s current Labour MP’s. 

I'm sure I saw a post a while back from @Ulitzer95 saying last year was one of the quietest years for former MP deaths. This year feels like it's extremely high. Has anyone got those stats anywhere?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I'm sure I saw a post a while back from @Ulitzer95 saying last year was one of the quietest years for former MP deaths. This year feels like it's extremely high. Has anyone got those stats anywhere?

At a quick glance, 2020 had 33. A year by year comparison was started, then I realised it'll take a while to finish. From memory, 2019 and 2012 were also quite high, but I'll need to look up the individual year stats.

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

15 in 2022.

19 in 2023 and we’re only half way through…

• Thanks 4

On 09/06/2022 at 22:23, arghton said:

Well here's a list of nonagenarian/centenarian South American politicians. Born 1932 or before. Do not quote the whole post.

PERU

Arturo Woodman (1931) Frail old VP candidate.

Peruvian politivian, former VP candidate and President of the Institute of Sports Arturo Woodman dead at 91. That list has a lot of good picks for low requirement pools. 

• Like 3

On 18/07/2020 at 19:22, drol said:

A quick list of old Chinese politicos, one of the hardest thing to kill in this world.

21)Yan Mingfu (1931): one of the very few high-ranking cadres who opposed martial law at Tien An Men and paid with his career (thanks, mr. Song). Suffering from a "long-term" illness which forces him on a wheelchair.

Yan Mingfu reportedly dead: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/politics/article/3226395/yan-mingfu-chinese-communist-party-negotiator-tiananmen-square-protesters-1989-dies-aged-92

• Like 4

@Octopus of Odstock the tl/dr version, no.

Btw, thanks for reminding me of Jim Dobbin, who died on a foreign jaunt with John Prescott, when he chocked on his dinner after overdosing on Polish absinthe. Up there with Rod Hull falling off his roof and the Segway guy driving his Segway off a cliff for deaths once heard I'll never forget.

Allowing for MPs falling down the back of the sofa, the overall point is still:

Year - number of MPs who died*

2023 – 19

2022 – 15

2021 – 26

2020 – 33

2019 – 20

2018 – 31

2017 – 36

2016 – 25

2015 – 27

2014 – 32

2013 – 28

2012 – 31

2011 - 17

*again, "at least" before someone finds the forgotten backbencher for Plodding North was missed...

So far from 2023 being an outlier so far, the last decade plus makes it look like 2022 was in fact the outlier. 2012 was high (though 2019 wasn't particularly) and I should have thought of 2017 - Daylell, Teddy Taylor, Rhodri Morgan, etc etc.

Working below in the spoiler tags

Spoiler

1.       2023 -  J Morris, Lindsay, Ewing, Pendry, Clinton-Davis, Boothroyd, Cockcroft, Lawson, Brooke, Bonsor, Key, D Spencer, L Stevens, G Jackson, J Anderson, Elletson, Hurst, Naysmith, Lumley

2.       2022 – Jill Knight, Radice, R Hughes, R Shepherd, W Powell, McCurley, Trimble, Fearn, Mahon, D Shaw, N Jones, Chidgey, Blizzard, Sheridan, Dromey

3.       2021 – Gillan, Brokenshire, Amess, Weatherly, H Francis, A Mitchell, Ainsworth, Butterfill, I Gibson, L Smith, E Ross, Pike, Welsh, Lester, Marland, Walters, M Shaw, Cockeram, S Williams, Newens, Judd, Colquhoun, Leonard, E Morgan, M Holt, R Howarth

4.       2020 – J Eden, Ramsden, T Mitchell, Sheldon, Maclennan, P Jackson, Ashton, R Atkins, Rossi, J Lee, E Davies, Stoddart, Brocklebank-Fowler, Mudd, R Carter, T Renton, P Viggers, T Graham, B George, R Thomas, Garel-Jones, M O’Neill, J Hume, S Mallon, R Tracey, Powley, T Dicks, Bowden, Fyfe, Maddock, Olner, Best, Binley

5.       2019 – P Flynn, Dobson, A Miller, Spicer, Mawhinney, D Foster, R Richards, Carlisle, Moate, J Moore, D Lambie, K Warren, Eyre, Magee, Kitson, Dunnett, M English, R MacFarquhar, Walden, J Ellis

6.       2018 – Body, Tapsell, Howie, Hollingworth, I Richard, McGuire, Speed, EH Davies, G Roberts, A Davidson, Barnes, N Edwards, D Davies, Stuttaford, Jessel, T Cox, Cunningham, I Stewart, Temple-Morris, J Callaghan, Dodsworth, Ovenden, M Martin, Townend, Hawksley, Wolfson, Myles, Ashdown, Godman, Brandon-Bravo, Jowell

7.       2017 – Kaufman, McGuinness, F Doran, Hood, Keetch, Cummings, Dalyell, T Taylor, McNamara, Atherton, Beard, J Taylor, R Morgan, Michie, C Butler, D Dixon, Waller, J Hunt, B Walker, Spearing, Forman, J Fraser, Waddington, Latham, E du Cann, G Wilson, Wells, Moyle, Pitt, Moonman, P Dixon, Bossom, D Reed, J Davidson, Buxton, A Thompson

8.       2016 – Chichester-Clark, Prior, Lubbock, D Smith, Jenkin, A Grant, Latham, Parkinson, Roper, King Murray, Mayhew, G Thompson, J Evans, Durant, A Stewart, McQuarrie, McKelvey, J Watts, M Gordon, O’Hara, Rendel, Purchase, B White, Harpham, J Cox

9.       2015 – Meacher, Kennedy, Wareing, Steinberg, Sedgemore, Gorman, T Graham, Janner, Molyneaux, P Fry, Wiggin, Spicer, Aspinwall, Healey, Howe, Brittan, Bellotti, Goodhart, H Miller, Neale, Mason, J Osborn, Hooley, C Price, P Rose, D Coe, Mackie

10.   2014 – Freeman, Benn, Kimball, D Price, Thorpe, Chataway, E Griffiths, C Turner, Barnett, A Williams, D Mitchell, Whitaker, Paisley, M MacDonald, Benyon, Douglas, Kellet-Bowman, Chapman, Fenner, Wilkinson, Coombs, Simeons, Watt, MacCormick, Neubert, Douglas, Faith, Franks, Galbraith, D Turner, Dobbin, Goggins

11.   2013 – McGrady, Wray, W Roberts, J Gilbert, Montgomery, P Griffths, Townsend, Thatcher, Millan, Hayhoe, Boscawen, A McKay, Speller, A Stewart, Crowther, Atkinson, P Fraser, Conlan, Watkins, McElhone, S Wright, Morgan-Giles, Bates,Proudfoot, Money, Chapman, Dickens, Longbottom

12.   2012 – Carr, Short, Hooson, Worsley, C Morris, H Clark, A Hopkins, St-John-Stevas, A Morris, W Harrison, Bagier, Wellbeloved, P Archer, Ashley, Eadie, Newton, Boyson, Corbett, Lofthouse, Whitney, Welsh, Maples, Bell, S Randall, F Cook, Hargreaves, Patnick, Wicks, Atkinson, Gorrie, M Singh

13.   2011 – Keen, Cairns, Sproat, Gallie, Litherland, J Thompson, Raison, Holland, Woodall, W Elliott, Roderick, Craig, Marsh, Allason, B Harrison, Boston, Gardner

• Like 5

Brazilian politician and coffin-teaser Siqueira Campos in critical condition with kidney failure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drol said:

Brazilian politician and coffin-teaser Siqueira Campos in critical condition with kidney failure.

Siqueira Campos dead at 94.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Arnaldo Forlani (wikidead at 97.

He died aged 97 years and 7 months. He was the longest lived Italy Prime Minister since 16 September 2021, when he surpassed Carlo Ciampi who died aged 95 years and 9 months.

• Like 1