Godot

Leonard Cohen

I kind of had a feeling that Leonard Cohen was going to pass away soon. After listening to that album, I thought it would be a farewell, which was correct. I didn't think it would this imminent though. I thought he would hang around till about January next year, announcing something like terminal liver cancer in December so he would be a must have for next year. Another possibility for my DDP team (although he was more instinct than ill health) gone.

Wonder if the whole concept of the "near death album" that we've seen with Blackstar and You Want It Darker will become a more common thing in the future as a whole generation of popular musicians near the end of their lives?

If so, I can't wait to hear what Rick Astley's attempt will sound like...

No dissing Rick girl-says-no-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

Not dissing Rick at all actually - just can't imagine him ever making that type of album.

Anyway, he looks like a picture of health and I would not be at all surprised if he sees 90, if he can look that good at 50.

Rick Astley is shit.

• Haha 1

The day he dies my dad will play all his albums non stop.

How's the nonstop album playing?
  • Like 1

I kind of had a feeling that Leonard Cohen was going to pass away soon. After listening to that album, I thought it would be a farewell, which was correct. I didn't think it would this imminent though. I thought he would hang around till about January next year, announcing something like terminal liver cancer in December so he would be a must have for next year. Another possibility for my DDP team (although he was more instinct than ill health) gone.

Wonder if the whole concept of the "near death album" that we've seen with Blackstar and You Want It Darker will become a more common thing in the future as a whole generation of popular musicians near the end of their lives?

If so, I can't wait to hear what Rick Astley's attempt will sound like...

No dissing Rick girl-says-no-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sorry Toast but Rick's a twat.

• Like 1

I can't believe no-one's done a Rick-roll yet. :lol:

Cat O'Falk, on 11 Nov 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

I can. It would be too obvious. Is the old ass meme even still alive or should we put it on the list too?

Rick Astley has two good songs, three more than Leonard Cohen did.

You do know that puts you on Dr Z "edge" territory don't you?

• Like 1

Cat O'Falk, on 11 Nov 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

I can. It would be too obvious. Is the old ass meme even still alive or should we put it on the list too?

Rickrolling will never die as long as the internet exists. It never really gets old, because once you've forgotten about it for a while every now and then it comes back, fresh as a daisy. And since "Never Gonna Give You Up" is such a cheery, happy song, it never fails to put you in a good mood.

Or maybe that's just me

:ninja:

It wasn't my intention to insult or upset any of his fans, and you're probably right that I shouldn't judge him for only one song, but I simply think that he doesn't have a great singing voice. I'll listen to some more of his songs and maybe I'll change my opinion.

Can't wait for your critique of Tom Waits when he dies as having a bad song voice, you tin-eared ass. Insulting the man and his work is PRECISELY what you meant to do.

SC

I only know one song from Tom Waitst one point il aired all the time on HH1 Classics. Didn't like his voice.

Cohen's cause of death continues to elude us

Long time smoker despite all the body is a temple and Buddhist meditation stuff

Discussion here and there online about what killed him

Link: https://www.earnthenecklace.com/leonard-cohen-has-died-at-82-how-did-leonard-cohen-die/

Link: https://www.earnthenecklace.com/leonard-cohen-has-died-at-82-how-did-leonard-cohen-die/

I thought it had emerged that he had cancer. I will look for the source of that.

OK, this is where I read it.

However, it seems to be based on inferences drawn from David Remnick's recent long interview with Leonard for the New Yorker.

The interview took place over multiple days in June of this year, and in the 30 minutes of tape released, we learn that Cohen had been suffering from cancer. He was living in Los Angeles, and Remnick describes him as being "very thin" (down to about 105 or 110 pounds), in a lot of pain and requiring a "big blue medical chair" to help ease that pain.

http://exclaim.ca/music/article/listen_to_leonard_cohens_final_interview

I thought it had emerged that he had cancer. I will look for the source of that.

Tabloids. He gave one of his last interviews to the New Yorker, and the journalist has revealed he had already been suffering from cancer when he visited him. I've already quoted the guy but forgot to give a link.

David Remnick - who interviewed Cohen in the summer for The New Yorker magazine - said during The New Yorker Radio Hour on Thursday (11.10.16): "When I visited Cohen in Los Angeles he was suffering from cancer although he was keeping that very private. He was in deep pain from compression fractures in his spine and he had to sit in a big blue medical chair to ease that pain.

"He was very thin already. Maybe 105, 110lbs. But I've got to say he was in an ebullient mood for a man who knew where life was taking him and he was headed there in a hurry."

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/6959756-leonard-cohen-was-in-deep-pain-caused-by-cancer/

Yes, you're right, that's what I read, but I can't remember exactly where.

Leonard Cohen died in sleep after fall

Make of this what you will.

Canadian singer, songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen died in his sleep after falling during the night at his Los Angeles home, his manager has said.

The 82-year-old singer's death was "sudden, unexpected and peaceful", Robert B Kory said in a statement.

No cause was given by the family when Cohen's death was announced last week.

The statement said that Cohen died on 7 November - three days before an announcement was made to the public. He was buried in Montreal on 10 November.

He was a unique pick on the DDP, does this open a can-of-worms-smiley-emoticon.gif regarding a possible unnatural death à la Cilla?

• Like 1

Canadian singer, songwriter and poet Leonard Cohen died in his sleep after falling during the night at his Los Angeles home, his manager has said.

The 82-year-old singer's death was "sudden, unexpected and peaceful", Robert B Kory said in a statement.

The statement said that Cohen died on 7 November - three days before an announcement was made to the public. He was buried in Montreal on 10 November.

He was a unique pick on the DDP, does this open a can-of-worms-smiley-emoticon.gif regarding a possible unnatural death à la Cilla?

Well how did anybody know he fell before he died in his sleep?

If there were obvious injuries then, well, its hardly going to be a pain free and peaceful death, is it!!

Im smelling bullshit, however, he is now buried ( quite hastily ) so the case is closed or summat.

Shit. That just makes it even sadder then :(

No. Unnatural death points it is...

If there were obvious injuries then, well, its hardly going to be a pain free and peaceful death, is it!!

Im smelling bullshit, however, he is now buried ( quite hastily ) so the case is closed or summat.

mmm .... Not necessarily. Someone may have heard him fall, and helped him back to bed.

As for hasty, they're Jewish and quick burial is their custom, I think. But I take your point, there was little time for a post-mortem.

Actually when my mum died on a Tuesday, she was buried on the Friday. There was an existing family grave. The long wait that has become normal in the UK these days is usually due (at least partly) to having to wait for a slot at the crematorium.

• Like 2

They're pretty quick in Ireland too. My grandfather died on December 29th 1993, so my mum had to go over for the funeral...on January 1st 1994!

Happy New Year... :mellow:

mmm .... Not necessarily. Someone may have heard him fall, and helped him back to bed.

As for hasty, they're Jewish and quick burial is their custom, I think. But I take your point, there was little time for a post-mortem.

Actually when my mum died on a Tuesday, she was buried on the Friday. There was an existing family grave. The long wait that has become normal in the UK these days is usually due (at least partly) to having to wait for a slot at the crematorium.

Probably true Toastie.

When my Nan died, in 1980, her hearse had to be followed by my parents and close family down the A127 into London at speeds in excess of 80MPH.

Hardly a f ucking dignified exit really.

Im not sure the speed was down to the Jewish funeral or that Sterling Moss was moonlighting as the hearse driver.

• Like 1

Probably true Toastie.

When my Nan died, in 1980, her hearse had to be followed by my parents and close family down the A127 into London at speeds in excess of 80MPH.

Hardly a f ucking dignified exit really.

Im not sure the speed was down to the Jewish funeral or that Sterling Moss was moonlighting as the hearse driver.

Sterling Moss.....hmmmm.

(...)

(...)

I can imagine some scenarios, where a relatively painless death could be possible:

1.) a./ He went to the loo during the night, fell unconscious due to a seizure (<- brain metastasis); was put into bed by his nurse/son and died of internal bleeding or other injuries while never regaining consciousness. "Died in his sleep" is then a euphemism for dying while in a coma.

1.) b./ The same as above, except he fell due to his reduced mobility (compression fractures due to bone cancer or metastasis) and lost his consciousness since he hit his head during the fall.

2.) He fell from a (high) bed during his sleep, hit his head into a hard object (wheelchair, walker etc.) and died due to head trauma / internal injuries while never regaining consciousness.

The question is, does any of these qualify as an unnatural death?

Well, he allegedly had cancer too. It's not that difficult to imagine. He's not in great health. Gets up in the middle of night, falls. Someone's there. He tells them he's ok, just a stumble, down plays it perhaps. They believe him. He goes back to bed. Falls asleep. Accumulation of long term illness plus fall means heart gives up during night.

Substitute cancer for heart issues, and that's essentially how an old uncle of mine went years ago.