msc

So, How's Your 2017 Shortlist Looking?

The other was because I couldn't find enough evidence for that person so I can put him on my team.

Aye, Person A still hasn't revealed the results of their tests in November. Terribly unsporting, really...

I know who your talking about, but I haven't put him on my shortlist because I don't think he's that ill. The person I did put wasn't showing to his job, but I removed him because I wasn't sure how ill he was and he was pretty old anyways and wouldn't make the drop 40 nor would it probably be unique.

The other was because I couldn't find enough evidence for that person so I can put him on my team.

Aye, Person A still hasn't revealed the results of their tests in November. Terribly unsporting, really...

I know who your talking about, but I haven't put him on my shortlist because I don't think he's that ill. The person I did put wasn't showing to his job, but I removed him because I wasn't sure how ill he was and he was pretty old anyways and wouldn't make the drop 40 nor would it probably be unique.

1) Ah, you mean a lupine chap? Not him.

2) The Drop 40 bonus is certainly adding an interesting dimension to things.

Genuinely, someone needs to start an Ask Cat thread.

I tried that with 'ask Dr Zorders' agony aunt thing.

It was deleted :(

Shit - I had stored all my definites, possibles, people to research in one beautifully colour coded word document that my computer now tells me is corrupt and I can't open it.

So it will be back to picking a random list of old and sick people.

Have you tried putting it into a new word document?

Open a new document.

One - Click on insert.

Two - Click on object to get the menu.

Three - Click on create from file.

Four - Click on browse and select the corrupted file.

Click on OK.

word.jpg

Thanks that would be brilliant if it worked - unfortunately when I do it I get this message

'The program used to create this document is Word. That program is either not installed on your computer or it is not responding. To edit this object install Word or ensure that any dialog boxes in Word are closed.'

And yet there are lots of other Word documents on my computer that I can open just fine??

Still working on my 1981 Hits list.

It's alphabetical and I have only got as far as John Deacon. That said, a few possibilities already marked.

I think I will go with my "Just Under The Wire" theme team this year, celebs and notables born in 1998 and thus 2017 is the first year they'd be eligible for the DDP.

What's the rule on that? Is their year of birth decisive or their age at Jan. 1st?

ngl, just found an absolute peach of a pick that seems heavily off the radars of everyone on here.

Peaches, the electroclash singer?

Peaches Geldof?

Edit: Goddamnit, I forgot Peaches Geldof is dead.

As for my own shortlist, I find it terribly conventional right now. But I want to avoid last year's mistake and take out Mark Farren and Pearl Washington in the last week for terminally ill but hardly notable people. I will channel these instincts into my B team.

I think my team can hardly be improved anymore though I have to edu-cate myself some more. Just yesterday I started going through my longlist and found out that a DDP regular and very early entry into my list, is going South. As is his/her obitability though.

• Like 1

First go-through of names - and even that isn't complete - and I've 200+ names lmao. And that isn't cancer mums and survivors etc. that's just names from our 2017 Watch list here and a few dozen I'd written down otherwise.

SC

ngl, just found an absolute peach of a pick that seems heavily off the radars of everyone on here.

Peaches Geldof?

As for my own shortlist, I find it terribly conventional right now. But I want to avoid last year's mistake and take out Mark Farren and Pearl Washington in the last week for terminally ill but hardly notable people. I will channel these instincts into my B team.

I think my team can hardly be improved anymore though I have to edu-cate myself some more. Just yesterday I started going through my longlist and found out that a DDP regular and very early entry into my list, is going South. As is his/her obitability though.

GCR if you really feel poorly re: Geldof and Farren and Washington you can always Fahk The Pain Away.

SC

• Like 1

Peaches Geldof?

Francine "Peaches" Hurd Barker of Peaches and Herb is also dead. A cursed name?

What's the rule on that? Is their year of birth decisive or their age at Jan. 1st?

The rule is that you have to be 18 as of start of January 1st 2017. Hence why Zach Sobiech, who died aged 18 but entered 2013 17, wasn't that year's most popular joker pick.

The rule is that you have to be 18 as of start of January 1st 2017. Hence why Zach Sobiech, who died aged 18 but entered 2013 17, wasn't that year's most popular joker pick.

Ok, I thought so. No Amber Snailham for Shameless.

I've sent my 20 people to DDP and my shadow list is done. I'm not making any changes unless someone dies in December. I'll have 50 names and a top 10 people choice of 2017.

I shall be doing a sequel to the Fawlty Towers theme team...

Are you going to do a main team this year?

Feeling likewise that my shortlist is pretty conventional rn, which was a major factor into my lack of confidence around this time last year. Which does look rather silly now, given I'm geared for another top 5 finish! :P This year has definitely taught me that while uncovering sneak uniques may be a helpful boost, correctly calling common knowledge names that look 50/50 to die is similarly important (even moreso next year, with the Drop 40 bonus), likewise hoping one's risky obit punts are the ones that net a QO.

While I had to painfully remove John Glenn from my shortlist, I think I found the 18 year old Spade was talking about, as well as another celebrity's sister...

While I had to painfully remove John Glenn from my shortlist, I think I found the 18 year old Spade was talking about, as well as another celebrity's sister...

Well, she'll be on 20-30 teams now! :P

• Like 1

Glenn's death does a blow to my planned "Decaying Orbit-uaries"* outer space theme team, though at least there's still an easy joker hanging on in Piers Sellers. (and I have a backup there if he too fails to see the new year...)

*When I discussed the idea of a space theme team earlier, for the name I decided to merge Bibliogryphon's "Decaying Orbit" suggestion with my own idea of playing on the amount of times people on here use "orbit" instead of "obit".

• Like 1

Glenn's death does a blow to my planned "Decaying Orbit-uaries"* outer space theme team, though at least there's still an easy joker hanging on in Piers Sellers. (and I have a backup there if he too fails to see the new year...)

*When I discussed the idea of a space theme team earlier, for the name I decided to merge Bibliogryphon's "Decaying Orbit" suggestion with my own idea of playing on the amount of times people on here use "orbit" instead of "obit".

You have plenty of space for astronauts, then. ^_^

• Like 1

Are you going to do a main team this year?

No.

I've got an idea for a theme team too (actually, it might not count as a theme team, it's more a team with a theme than a theme team, per say..) which doesn't appear to have been done before. I'll not mention on what though, for reasons which will become clear after the deadline!

Ah, why not? My theme team is based on drummers, so I selected 20 drummers for my team (not all of them are that well known even). However, Carl Palmer wasn't on there, which I'm slightly regretting already considering two members of Emerson Lake and Palmer died this year. I already sent the team to themaninblack, so everyone is locked.

Well, she'll be on 20-30 teams now! :P

Does anyone know her last name? Is it the same one?