Jump to content
Phantom of the Midway

Barbara Bush

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Sean said:

Yeah he will go.Will McCain make it that is the question. 

McCain won't go for several reasons.

1. Ill health of course (hasn't been active in the Senate since December).

2. The Bush and McCain families are not allies, John McCain even primaried B43 in 2000. 

3. It's not tradition for most U.S. Senators that aren't family or close friends to attend funeral of a President or First Lady.

4. I'm not convinced Barbara Bush will have a state funeral, not sure if it's required of first lady's or if Nancy Reagan had one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember in 2004 hearing on the radio news whilst driving with my Mum it being said it had been  revealed that former US President Ronald Reagan was nearing the end and would likely only have weeks left at best. By the time we had finished our family outing that very evening just hours later news broke that Reagan actually died. 

I suspect this announcement maybe similar in the sense they are preparing the ground for something that's 'semi imminent' not hours clearly but more a case of days rather than weeks or months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Not sure on reliability of the sources, but there's already speculation that she entered hospice care. Though it wouldn't surprise me if true tbh...

Isn't hospice care and comfort care basically the same thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I wonder if Donald Trump will be invited to the funeral or expect to be so as US President? 

Obama was invited to the funeral of Nancy Reagan in 2016 but didn't attend due to prior important commitments. 

There is no love lost between the bushes and the Trumps but would they really invite other former presidents and their spouses but not the current President? 

All I can say is if I was a member of the Bush family I wouldn't want him within 100 miles of her funeral ! 

 

PS just realised She's the only living former First Lady to have been 2nd Lady as well !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When she goes both the oldest living former titles will pass to Republican spouses.

 

First Lady: Laura Bush (b.1946) one year older than Hilary

Second Lady: Lynne Cheney (b.1941) seven years older than Tipper Gore but only three years separate Tipper, Marilyn Quayle and Jill Biden.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

McCain won't go for several reasons.

1. Ill health of course (hasn't been active in the Senate since December).

2. The Bush and McCain families are not allies, John McCain even primaried B43 in 2000. 

3. It's not tradition for most U.S. Senators that aren't family or close friends to attend funeral of a President or First Lady.

4. I'm not convinced Barbara Bush will have a state funeral, not sure if it's required of first lady's or if Nancy Reagan had one. 

I mean for me the one question is...what did she do during her time during 1st LAdy (1989-1993) to earn a state funeral? Is being the President's Wife enough?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

When she goes both the oldest living former titles will pass to Republican spouses.

 

First Lady: Laura Bush (b.1946) one year older than Hilary

Second Lady: Lynne Cheney (b.1941) seven years older than Tipper Gore but only three years separate Tipper, Marilyn Quayle and Jill Biden.

Rossalyn Carter? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figure it's time to kick this off. April 19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dirtracer18 said:

Figure it's time to kick this off. April 19.

Already kicked off...in the Sweepstakes thread....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SSWDeathlistfan1996 said:

I mean for me the one question is...what did she do during her time during 1st LAdy (1989-1993) to earn a state funeral? Is being the President's Wife enough?

What about being the vice presidents wife, the presidents wife and the mother of a political dynasty that includes another president? And that thick head of white deserves a state funeral of its own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Swagmasta said:

She will be dead by Friday morning

You are probably right! :vulture:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

PS just realised She's the only living former First Lady to have been 2nd Lady as well !

Also discovered reading something last night that she is the only person to have seen both her husband and her son sworn in as president. The only other time it has happened in American history was with the Adams family (not that one). However Abigail Adams died in 1818 and son John Quincy Adams was not elected until 1824 (incidentally like Bush Jr. JQA won the electoral college but lost the popular vote).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Also discovered reading something last night that she is the only person to have seen both her husband and her son sworn in as president. The only other time it has happened in American history was with the Adams family (not that one). However Abigail Adams died in 1818 and son John Quincy Adams was not elected until 1824 (incidentally like Bush Jr. JQA won the electoral college but lost the popular vote).

Poor lady. At least Donald Trump is not her son in law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:
  1. She's 'strong and fighting' ! Reports of her demise may have been exaggerated ! http://www.keyt.com/news/national-world/barbara-bush-in-great-spirits-and-feisty-source-says/730399888

 

The compensation being she'd be Midsummer Dead Pool gold if the most positive reports are true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her family is by her side. I hope she lives for many years, but sadly, I agree with previous posters, she has days, may be by Friday (Hitler's Birthday). I pray that we;re wrong. If a miracle didn't happen for Billy Graham, then there's no hope for Barbara Bush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JTrost1234 said:

Her family is by her side. I hope she lives for many years, but sadly, I agree with previous posters, she has days, may be by Friday (Hitler's Birthday). I pray that we;re wrong. If a miracle didn't happen for Billy Graham, then there's no hope for Barbara Bush.

I thought you said she should have croaked before she gave birth to 43? :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use