Sean

Theresa May

4 hours ago, Deathray said:

So the field so far is.

nintchdbpict000247414006.jpg?strip=all&w=1200&h=800&crop=1

2016MichaelGove_Still_2_010716-920x610.jpg

GettyImages-1043982118.jpg?auto=compress,enhance,format&crop=faces,entropy,edges&fit=crop&w=820&h=550

Dh6-gTCWsAAsWEO.jpg

jeremy-hunt-says-slovenia-gaffe-was-expression-of-friendship-136434350256402601-190307170244.jpg

Where is Rory Stewart?

Or has he run away?

The only one who does not profit from May's resignation is her successor.

Even May herself is going to feel better.

She's been a rock (in terms of emotion) for her entire career, so to see her sobbing today goes to show the inexorable headache of Brexit has taken its toll on her. She'll add years to her life by getting out now.

She got so much wrong - her personal Brexit red lines strangled her - but not as much as the party behind her did. Much as I'd like to see the back of this Tory government, I do want to give her a hug, make her a nice cuppa and reassure her that she's not a bad person, just a bit shit at her job. But millions of fuckers are guilty of that.

• Like 4

So the end of May isn't next Friday but a week after?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Torva Messor said:

So the end of May isn't next Friday but a week after?

She will still be Prime Minister probably until early to mid July until they find the next leader she could still in theory be prime minister for another 7 or 8 weeks yet.

Last two non election changeover's happened on a Wednesday so the 10th, 17th or 24th July could be the date.

Not dead but certainly Conservatives are in Windsor & Maidenhead (TM constituency is in Maidenhead). They came third in EU elections:

• Brexit Party - 13,289
  • Liberal Democrat - 12,769
  • Conservative and Unionist Party - 5,496

Bare in mind I live near here and it's been Conservative stronghold for as long as I can remember.

Ah yes, taking up the post of Head Choreographer at Abba Voyage.

• Haha 1

Another TINO, good riddance, lets hope her constituency replacement is a real Conservative

3 minutes ago, BonScott said:

Another TINO, good riddance, lets hope her constituency replacement is a real Conservative

Given there are many shades of Tories currently, what is your definition of a real Conservative?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BonScott said:

Like Ken Clarke, Michael Heseltine, John Major or Rory Stewart?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Given there are many shades of Tories currently, what is your definition of a real Conservative?

Low taxes, small state, pro Brexit, tough on criminals, anti welfare scrounger, pro work, pro life, anti unlimited immigration, pro police, pro Ukraine and Israel, anti nanny state, pro business 

A modern day Margaret Thatcher really 

Just now, BonScott said:

Low taxes, small state, pro Brexit, tough on criminals, anti welfare scrounger, pro work, pro life, anti unlimited immigration, pro police, pro Ukraine and Israel, anti nanny state, pro business 

Thanks for that. And so who, in your opinion, currently fulfils the real Conservative role in all of the above?

10 minutes ago, BonScott said:

This Margaret Thatcher

Would Margaret Thatcher want to leave the EU? - Quora

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Thanks for that. And so who, in your opinion, currently fulfils the real Conservative role in all of the above?

The one I would want as PM out of the current crop is Suella Braverman or Priti Patel

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

This Margaret Thatcher

That was for the referendum on the Common Market, she supported the common market, she was strongly opposed to the EU which the common market eventually evolved into, her anti EU stance ultimately cost her her job because she alienated Heseltine, Clarke, Major, Howe etc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BonScott said:

The one I would want as PM out of the current crop is Suella Braverman or Priti Patel

Two people whose parents were immigrants. One a known security risk to the state. One who used her position to advocate for international aid following unregistered meetings with a foreign power.

Ho hum. Ah well, if that's wat you want from your leaders, there's little hope for the vast majority of Tories who will no doubt be TINOs to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

This Margaret Thatcher

Sorry but BonScott is actually correct on this one. The EEC and the EU are completely different kettles of fish. Thatcher was in favour of the former. She came out heavily against further integration and political union in her latter years. It's all chronicled online. Also worth remembering that the Europhiles of those days were... the Labour Party! Labour didn't change their stance on their relationship with the EU until the 1990s. Around the same time the SNP did. Sinn Fein were later I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Sorry but BonScott is actually correct on this one. The EEC and the EU are completely different kettles of fish. Thatcher was in favour of the former. She came out heavily against further integration and political union in her latter years. It's all chronicled online. Also worth remembering that the Europhiles of those days were... the Labour Party! Labour didn't change their stance on their relationship with the EU until the 1990s. Around the same time the SNP did. Sinn Fein were later I think.

I get the distinction but I do not think that Margaret Thatcher would have gone down the Brexit route in the same way her cheerleaders such as Mark Francois think she would. She always put on a very robust attack on the areas where she felt that UK interests were not best served by the actions of the EU but she recognised the value of the market place and would not be 'Fuck Business' as Boris once said

These people are cosplaying a fantasy version of Conservatism that never really existed

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I get the distinction but I do not think that Margaret Thatcher would have gone down the Brexit route in the same way her cheerleaders such as Mark Francois think she would. She always put on a very robust attack on the areas where she felt that UK interests were not best served by the actions of the EU but she recognised the value of the market place and would not be 'Fuck Business' as Boris once said

These people are cosplaying a fantasy version of Conservatism that never really existed

Her letter to Sir Bill Cash here would suggest otherwise...

I've spoken to several of her close friends subsequent to her death and they all say she would have wanted to leave had she still been around (and had she still had her marbles!). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Her letter to Sir Bill Cash here would suggest otherwise...

I've spoken to several of her close friends subsequent to her death and they all say she would have wanted to leave had she still been around (and had she still had her marbles!). 

I think there is a distinction between not voting for Maastricht and wanting to leave the entire block (and also would she have wanted to leave in a way that was so detrimental to British Buisness?)

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think there is a distinction between not voting for Maastricht and wanting to leave the entire block (and also would she have wanted to leave in a way that was so detrimental to British Buisness?)

Clutching at straws now. The Maastricht Treaty created the EU, without it the EU wouldn't have come into being. If she was against the signing of the creation of it, she was against it. I don't understand why that's difficult to understand.