Sign in to follow this  
YoungWillz

31. Stanley Baxter

Before Connolly, there was a charming Scottish comedian and actor known as Stanley Baxter.

A star on radio, TV and film, he really only graduated to the knowledge to the UK populace once he sold out moved to London. (Ah, those pre-regional days when you had to go there to really make it!). Of course I remember him best for his glamorous 1970s specials, inevitably dressing up as a lady...as I understand it, he was the first impressionist to do one of Her Majesty The Queen, which caused all sorts of trouble, but which he sailed through. His Parliamo Glasgow sketches remain the stuff of legend, but then they would, because taking the piss out of Scots remains a popular British pastime to this day, and Stanley was only too happy to take the cash for deprecating the language of the city of his birth.

Eventually he became famous to another generation through the children's TV show Mr Majeika.

He was on the side of Scotland remaining in the UK during the 2014 Indy Referendum, after all it is important to stress that from his £2m home in Highgate, London.

Anyway, he's at that age of 91 when he's checking obituaries and not seeing himself. And neither are we yet. But lest we forget, here's his thread.

• Like 4

So when he goes we can say the Queen is dead

stanley_baxter_now_and_then.jpg

• Haha 1

Wow, he made the list!

:o

I think that's all because I mentioned him once early on. :o 

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Wow, he made the list!

:o

Read the list out from 50 to 1 to the wife (as is our wee tradition). Her response? "What? Stanley Baxter is STILL ALIVE?"

A decent enough pick.A massive figure in British comedy.My Late Grandads favourite comic.