ObakeFilter

Passed-Punks & No-Wavers

On 01/06/2020 at 19:06, YoungWillz said:

Well, drummer for American punk band The Misfits, Joey Image, who had been battling liver cancer, is being reported dead all over Twitter.

The Hare's Pool awaits an actual report of some kind.

I do like his alleged participation in The Mary Tyler Whores. That tickles me, that band name.

Original Misfits drummer Manny Martinez dead at 69.

• Like 2

On 09/08/2022 at 22:56, I.R.Baboon said:

Wanted to share an update on David Thomas from Pere Ubu cause I saw he was mentioned in the first post. He said in an interview from 2020 that he almost died twice, and he needs kidney dialysis three times a week. Saw him performing with Pere Ubu somewhere in autumn 2019. He was driven in a wheelchair to the stage, and during the gig just sitting on a stool, drinking straight from a wine bottle and howling at his band members. Really impressive gig nonetheless (they did - apart from encores for which they didn't leave the stage cause it would take 10 minutes - only songs from their last album, which was even for their standards pretty gloomy and hard to get into.

But what I wanted to share.. During covid he got really busy with remastering his own albums and hosting his own patreon show which aired once a week, but 2 months go it was suddenly very silent on their socials. According to the patreon he tested postive for covid at the end of june and looks like there haven't been many updates since then.

And let's end with some banger from their commercial period

edit: The Guardian had an interview with him earlier this year in which he said 'contacting covid would be fatal', so maybe he cheated death once again..

It was once again pretty quiet on the Pere Ubu front (they released a new album but did only a few shows) so I decided to look for any updates.. And i found an update from David Thomas a few days ago. There has been a lot going on, he married his gf/manager, he's been in the hospital and has had operations which were like hell. 

• Like 2

On 04/01/2024 at 13:32, I.R.Baboon said:

It was once again pretty quiet on the Pere Ubu front (they released a new album but did only a few shows) so I decided to look for any updates.. And i found an update from David Thomas a few days ago. There has been a lot going on, he married his gf/manager, he's been in the hospital and has had operations which were like hell. 

That 2023 album - btw - is an absolute banger, including a cracking cover version of THIS: 

A List of the Missed alum, thanks to an old Spade theme team of Half Man Half Biscuit namechecks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Leon Brittan said:

I saw them front Alice cooper about 5 years back. They were god damn awful. Still a shame he's died though 

Rob Tyner’s been dead for two decades, I bet there was only two original members playing that night. ‘They’ may have sucked but you didn’t see the MC5. They’re heralded as one of the greatest live bands of their time, but that time ended 50 years ago ffs.

This should draw Patti Smith out of hiding.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

A pedant writes: technically, he was only ever in the Revillos.

I didn't even realise they had a brief period where the name changed. Any idea why?

21 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I didn't even realise they had a brief period where the name changed. Any idea why?

I think it was something to do with their US label, Sire, not wanting them to use it when they quickly reformed in the late 70s. So they changed one letter.

8 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I think it was something to do with their US label, Sire, not wanting them to use it when they quickly reformed in the late 70s. So they changed one letter.

Aye, exactly that - stand off with the record company who had the right to stop them using the name. Not that anyone in the UK was in any doubt the Revillos were an offshoot of The Rezillos 

Saw them both, though haven't seen the reformed line up.

The great Chris Cross from Ultravox should be mentioned here, and now he is.  A bassist himself, Sir Creep always considered Chris a hack who played through a series of pedals.  That is until (*caution: name drop coming) he conversed with Midge Ure directly and was told no, in fact every note you hear is played by Mr Cross.  At that moment SirC had new respect for him. Ultravox has always been one of his favourite listens.

SirC never got to see Ultravox, due to cancellations more than anything else.  Sadly, this is the ultimate cancellation.

RIP 

SC

IMG_9446.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

The great Chris Cross from Ultravox should be mentioned here, and now he is.  A bassist himself, Sir Creep always considered Chris a hack who played through a series of pedals.  That is until (*caution: name drop coming) he conversed with Midge Ure directly and was told no, in fact every note you hear is played by Mr Cross.  At that moment SirC had new respect for him. Ultravox has always been one of his favourite listens.

SirC never got to see Ultravox, due to cancellations more than anything else.  Sadly, this is the ultimate cancellation.

RIP 

SC

All I’ve done is read Kriss Kross and I’m now sitting here singing “Jump, Jump”……!!  

• Like 2

Even if Chris Cross did have X number of effect pedals connected to his bass presumably they weren't manipulating the instrument's strings for him. So how was he not playing it himself?

By the way, is he dead? If so he's the first member of Ultravox to go, I think. (When the last one goes, it'll be "All Laid Still.")