gcreptile

The Dead of 2018

On 21/11/2017 at 23:59, Life Is Beautiful said:

I agree. I mean how many rockers are near centenarians?

Another excellent rock pick: Big Jay McNeely. 

The man most responsible for the wild acrobatic instrumental showman in rock, McNeely's shows featured him walking along the bar, lying on his back, and bent over backwards while playing his tenor sax, hitting squealing high notes and guttural low notes and giving birth to the idea of rock as performance art capable of extracting extreme sentiments and reactions from the audience. This was decades before the acrobatics of Hendrix, Townshend  and Angus Young. "The Deacon's Hop" remains one of rock 'n' roll's most influential records and he continued successfully into the late 50's and is still playing and wowing audiences in his retirement years to this day. Of all of the horn players of rock’s first golden age McNeely is the last man standing, as he came out of retirement in later years playing well-received shows as he hit 90 years old with new records coming out periodically to remind one and all of his importance in rock’s rise and subsequent takeover of popular culture.

Dear Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Committee: Please put this giant in while he's still on this earth to accept the honor he's so rightly due.

6a00e008dca1f08834011571574098970c-300wi.jpg

450_1000.jpg

They missed their chance.

Big Jay McNeely dead at 91

Yeah, I already reported his death in the previous page of this thread...

29 minutes ago, time said:

They missed their chance.

Big Jay McNeely dead at 91

:clivedunn:

28 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, I already reported his death in the previous page of this thread...

So you did, but you never mentioned his name so it didn't show up in the search!

• Like 2

Pam Henry, who was stricken with polio at the age of 14 months and went on to become the March of Dimes’ last national poster child and an Oklahoma City broadcaster, has died.   Henry died Tuesday following complications from emergency surgery. She was 68.

Now she's the poster child for how to get a mention on DL!
SC

• Haha 1

David Wolkowsky, who became known as “Mr. Key West,” and who is credited with transforming the island of his birth into the tourist destination it is today, died at age 99.

Of most interest:  "Up until his death, he owned the southernmost private home in the contiguous United States, where he famously served potato chips and turkey dogs to his prominent guests.  In 1974, he purchased Ballast Key, a small rocky island located roughly eight miles from Key West, for $160,000." 

Sir Creep rarely suggests reading the obituaries, but may I suggest you read this one...this unknown guy has quite an interesting story imho.
Also -- if you want some fun, go to your favourite mapping program and look up Ballast Key, FL; and if you can, zoom in and see the house (southernmost in the U.S.) and island setup Wolkowky had.  Life's a beach!
SC

• Thanks 1

Charles Aznovoice, the French warbler, has died at 94 after breaking his arm.

11 minutes ago, Snakeman said:

Charles Aznovoice, the French warbler, has died at 94 after breaking his arm.

No shit Sherlock. He has his own thread you know? 

19 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

No shit Sherlock. He has his own thread you know? 

Nah, you're thinking of Aznavour. This is Aznovoice, must have been lesser known...:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, msc said:

Nah, you're thinking of Aznavour. This is Aznovoice, must have been lesser known...:D

Perhaps he was a tribute act

6 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Peggy Sue Gerron, the inspiration for the Buddy Holly song 'Peggy Sue', has died.  She was 78.

http://www.kcbd.com/2018/10/01/peggy-sue-dies-age/

If you knew Peggy Sue
Then you'd know why I feel blue without Peggy

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Peggy Sue Gerron, the inspiration for the Buddy Holly song 'Peggy Sue', has died.  She was 78.

http://www.kcbd.com/2018/10/01/peggy-sue-dies-age/

Two threads discussed her.  Don't worry, I'll take care of it.  Sheesh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Two threads discussed her.  Don't worry, I'll take care of it.  Sheesh

If I remember correctly, Peggy broke up with Jerry after the song came out as she was embarrassed about all the attention.

George Kolombatovich, who coached Columbia University fencers to five N.C.A.A. championships and taught sword fighting to cast members of “Otello,” “Carmen” and “Don Giovanni” at the Metropolitan Opera, died on Sept. 19 in a hospital in Sarasota, Fla. He was 72.

The cause was complications of pneumonia, principally acute respiratory distress syndrome, his family said.

Mr. Kolombatovich — whose first lessons came from his father — spent 32 years as the head coach or co-head coach of the Columbia fencing team, many of them with Aladar Kogler. During that time, Columbia’s program became one of the country’s strongest: About 150 of its fencers became All-Americans, 17 won N.C.A.A. titles and several qualified for the Olympics, including Erinn Smart.

SC

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

Gabby Monserat whotsername dead. 

Montserrat Caballé, opera singer, dies at 85 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45769808

Surprised there isn't a thread for her. (Maybe there is, I can't find it)

Ah, sad - for her and for my theme  team idea. Third loss this year.

I posted her recent hospitalization in the Opera thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bearer said:

Surprised there isn't a thread for her. (Maybe there is, I can't find it)

-Pretty sure there isnt a thread.  I banged on about her a lot for a couple of months

48 minutes ago, Wee Jum said:

-Pretty sure there isnt a thread.  I banged on about her a lot for a couple of months

Should've started one for her Wee Jum.