Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Words We Dislike

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

No, it's an acronym.

I know dear.

Actor when referring to a female.

I really can't see the sense in this usage.  The other day I was musing over who might play a certain (male) role in an upcoming series, and I looked for a "list of Scottish actors".  What came up was an unsorted list of actors AND actresses which was a PITA.    Now I'm all for equality and all that, but really this is one area where it's usually horses for courses,  innit? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

I really can't see the sense in this usage.  The other day I was musing over who might play a certain (male) role in an upcoming series, and I looked for a "list of Scottish actors".  What came up was an unsorted list of actors AND actresses which was a PITA.    Now I'm all for equality and all that, but really this is one area where it's usually horses for courses,  innit? 

We're losing them all; poetess, sculptress etc. How long before we hear award for an actor in a female role

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Toast said:

How do you feel about 'doctor'?

44 minutes ago, time said:

Or gardener. Or teacher. Or welder. Or plumber. Oh flip this might get out of hand :D

Just now, Lard Bazaar said:
47 minutes ago, time said:

Or gardener. Or teacher. Or welder. Or plumber. Oh flip this might get out of hand :D

Not comparable.  It makes no difference to the job whether any of these is male or female.

But generally, if you are casting a male role, you will be looking for a male actor.  If casting a female role, a female actor.  It would be convenient if we had separate single words to distinguish between the two.  Oh wait ......

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Not comparable.  It makes no difference to the job whether any of these is male or female.

But generally, if you are casting a male role, you will be looking for a male actor.  If casting a female role, a female actor.  It would be convenient if we had separate single words to distinguish between the two.  Oh wait ......

Oh I get ya, yes when you look at it that way I see your point. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

I see your point, but I'd argue that both male and female are doing (essentially) the same job, so why have 2 job titles?

• Like 1

Roster: A ridiculous American version of the word Squad to describe the group of players in a sports team.

Gaffer: Seen this word being used instead of boss/manager in football-related articles.

Stupendous: I dunno, it sounds too similar to a negative word, so if someone complimented me by saying "Stupendous work, mate", I'd probably yell out "NO YOU'RE THE STUPID ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :shoot:

Leprechaun: Hope our resident garden gnome doesn't take offense. :lol:

On 28/03/2018 at 15:49, time said:

I see your point, but I'd argue that both male and female are doing (essentially) the same job, so why have 2 job titles?

I thought I'd explained that.  I wanted a list of male actors because the role in question was for a man.  But because we are apparently not allowed to distinguish between male and female thespians, the lists that came up were full of women.

Put it this way.  When they were looking for an actor to play a younger version of Inspector Morse (played by John Thaw in the original series), they wouldn't have been interested in casting a woman for the role.  So in this context it is convenient to have distinguishing terms.

• Like 1

Would have made Endeavour a bit more interesting if you ask me. :P

mojo :  sounds like baby talk or simply a non-word.

odious :  usually used by middle class left wingers or students when describing the views of anyone to the right of Stalin .

vestibule: it sounds like its being pronounced incorrectly 

hacky sack :  stupid word/s for a stupid game so I guess it's apt .

I agree with predictor on gaffer .

24, 7 can fuck right off for me. Used to be known rather quaintly as 'all the time'.

'Directionally correct' - you mean 'approximately' except in a fucking long and totally tossy way?

'Gaffer' has been used as a word for the boss throughout my lifetime.  So I am surprised to see that the OED calls this usage 'obsolete except in dialect'.

Image result for the Gaffer

• Thanks 1

'Grate' and its variations.

"I grated some cheese/vegetable matter''.

Cunts all of them that use the word.

I cannot begin to throw scorn on folk that actually own a grater. Its almost a Dark Age thing, and they will face the Firey Fire.

Gaffer used in the Sweeney, gets a pass from me. Same as Guv'nr. Or 'slaaaag'.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2018 at 20:39, charon said:

I cannot begin to throw scorn on folk that actually own a grater. Its almost a Dark Age thing, and they will face the Firey Fire.

I have a mouli julienne. B)  Bloody brilliant, it is. 

4ef4ebf8c054313c89936e8262c0d971--grater

:o

:pop:

54 minutes ago, charon said:

:o

:pop:

In fact, it's grate.  :evil2:

• Like 1

I have a passion for cheese and mushroom omelette. It's grate! I defy you to make one with a 2oz lump of cheese just thrown in, unless you are prepared to turn the eggs and mushrooms to charcoal whilst you wait for the cheese to melt.

So yes, I own and use a grater.

If I should ever migrate (with or without a me grater?) to deep fried fuckin mars bars I'll let you know (yes, I'm aware this is a ridiculous stereotype, and possibly even apocryphal but no, I don't care).

• Like 2

On 29/03/2018 at 20:39, charon said:

The cheese grater has fallen out of favour, all this buying bags of cheese already grated nonsense . But we can revive it. We can make Britain grate again!

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 19:36, En Passant said:

I have a passion for cheese and mushroom omelette. It's grate! I defy you to make one with a 2oz lump of cheese just thrown in, unless you are prepared to turn the eggs and mushrooms to charcoal whilst you wait for the cheese to melt.

So yes, I own and use a grater.

If I should ever migrate (with or without a me grater?) to deep fried fuckin mars bars I'll let you know (yes, I'm aware this is a ridiculous stereotype, and possibly even apocryphal but no, I don't care).

I am now inspired to have a cheese and mushroom ometettte (your spelling) tomorrow morning.   And of course, I will grate the cheese freshly.

Thanks Rare Chess Move.

On 3/29/2018 at 13:54, the_engineer said:

mojo :  sounds like baby talk or simply a non-word.

odious :  usually used by middle class left wingers or students when describing the views of anyone to the right of Stalin .

vestibule: it sounds like its being pronounced incorrectly 

hacky sack :  stupid word/s for a stupid game so I guess it's apt .

I agree with predictor on gaffer .

Mojo is a great word, as is its superior kin, moxy.   The rest I agree with.
SC

• Like 1

Frock. 

• Like 1