Grim Reaper

Bob Hawke

Another hit.Things are hotting up.

• Like 4

On 18/01/2019 at 21:53, Fun-e-ral said:

Sorry but i live in Britain, Australian politics isn’t big news here. I would doubt this guys death would even be reported. 

Just had an obit on BBC news channel.

He said he would die before the election, and he did. Staggering example of a statesman keeping a promise in an election year.

• Like 5
  • Haha 13

12 minutes ago, Marshqld said:

Bob Hawke has just passed away two days prior to the Australian election 

I don’t think he’d have won.....!

3 hits for me in 4 days! Awesome.

Anyways, RIP Mr. Hawke. Condolences to his friends and family.

Just like no 9 buses.You wait ages for one then a whole load come along at once... 

AnywaY,seemed like a decent  bloke and PM so sorry to hear the news.. 

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 00:47, Guest The Brain said:

He said he's not sure he can last until the 2019 federal election (due by 18 May).
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-29/bob-hawke-reveals-terrible-health-labor-to-win-federal-election/10673364

Missed it by just 2 days ! Will his death mean a sympathy vote for the labour party ? 

1 hour ago, msc said:

He said he would die before the election, and he did. Staggering example of a statesman keeping a promise in an election year.

You have a very naughty sense of humour! I like you! :P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Hah!  Jokes aside he was one of the semi-decent guys in a country with very few of them in high office.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

Missed it by just 2 days ! Will his death mean a sympathy vote for the labour party ? 

Not at all.  Emotions have been locked in for a few weeks, based on personalities & policies.
Anecdotal evidence suggests that the 2 major parties (Liberal & Labor) have never been so disliked.
The death of someone who was deposed more than 27 years ago because his decision making process went wobbly will not change anything.
OTOH, his deposer (Paul Keating) has been shooting off at the mouth recently, and might make a difference.
A significant minority of us have already voted because we'll be away from our home districts on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Irreverent in the true spirit of Deathlist. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

Definitely one of the best candidates, always gotta love a trustworthy one :D

6 hours ago, Marshqld said:

Really? :clivedunn:

10 hours ago, Marshqld said:

Did he have a postal vote?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, msc said:

Hah!  Jokes aside he was one of the semi-decent guys in a country with very few of them in high office.

Yes australian politics has been like a cross between a nest of vipers and house of cards in recent years! 

I don't think there is much argument that Hawke is the best Prime Minister we have had in my lifetime (1971 onwards).  He instigated great reforms (superannuation, universal medical insurance i.e. Medicare) whilst maintaining a sensible level of fiscal responsibility.  At his peak he was extremely popular with the Australian public, certainly more so than any other Prime Minister after him (although that wasn't really hard).  But at different times in his life he was also a renowned alcoholic and womaniser.  He was lucky that he served in the 80s and not under the same scrutiny that the current politicians face where his transgressions would've given too much ammunition to his political enemies on both sides of the Australian political divide.

Hard to know how this will affect tomorrow's election other to say that it won't have helped Scott Morrison's chances of re-election.  I am pretty sure that by the time I go to bed tomorrow night Australia will have its 31st Prime Minister, Bill Shorten.

Interesting. Bob Hawke was the 23rd Australian P/M  and number 23 on this years deathlist.

12 hours ago, Dr_T said:

I don't think there is much argument that Hawke is the best Prime Minister we have had in my lifetime (1971 onwards).  He instigated great reforms (superannuation, universal medical insurance i.e. Medicare) whilst maintaining a sensible level of fiscal responsibility.  At his peak he was extremely popular with the Australian public, certainly more so than any other Prime Minister after him (although that wasn't really hard).  But at different times in his life he was also a renowned alcoholic and womaniser.  He was lucky that he served in the 80s and not under the same scrutiny that the current politicians face where his transgressions would've given too much ammunition to his political enemies on both sides of the Australian political divide.

Hard to know how this will affect tomorrow's election other to say that it won't have helped Scott Morrison's chances of re-election.  I am pretty sure that by the time I go to bed tomorrow night Australia will have its 31st Prime Minister, Bill Shorten.

I'd have to agree.  Hawke was probably the best PM since I emigrated from Thatcher-Britain in '81. The only big thing he did that I did not like was the introduction of paid higher education. It started off at $1800 and now uni grads are left with a $100k bill and no real qualifications to show for it.

On 16/05/2019 at 23:46, Dr_T said:

Perhaps just as well he didn't get to see Labor blow it again.

On 19/01/2019 at 07:53, Fun-e-ral said:

Sorry but i live in Britain, Australian politics isn’t big news here. I would doubt this guys death would even be reported. 

He was the longest serving labour prime minister pretty sure lot of British people had heard of him

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Veovis said:

pssst Bob Hawke passed away 10 days ago.

:clivedunn:

• Haha 1

I guess we can confirm the 5th death of this year now: It is the guy that registers the deaths in the Deathlist.

• Haha 10