Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

Resdiscovery of Patrick's little known career as a film star. Bring on the DVD release NOW!

Resdiscovery of Patrick's little known career as a film star. Bring on the DVD release NOW!

:banghead:

It might turn out be a nice little money spinner.

regards,

Hein

Thought I'd post

here. It's pretty crowded out there.

Astronomer and programmer Scott Manley, formerly of the Armagh Observatory in Northern Ireland, has created a movie showing 30 years of asteroid discoveries in only 3 minutes. Warning: Feelings of claustrophobia have been reported among some viewers. Nothing to do with Patrick though, but maybe he's named a couple of them.

In the absence of SC, a short post to record Sir Patrick's 700th The Sky at Night at his home with Astronomer Royal Lord Rees and the young pretender Brian Cox sizing up the monocle. it's getting difficult to pick up everything Moore says now. You get the feeling the BBC is already splicing clips from the show for the obituary. I can't see there being many more.

In the absence of SC, a short post to record Sir Patrick's 700th The Sky at Night at his home with Astronomer Royal Lord Rees and the young pretender Brian Cox sizing up the monocle. it's getting difficult to pick up everything Moore says now. You get the feeling the BBC is already splicing clips from the show for the obituary. I can't see there being many more.

I think we can safely say he wont reach 800 editions...

In the excitement of Sir Patrick's 700th "The Sky at Night", we seem to have omitted to celebrate Sir Patrick's 88th birthday last Friday. :wheelchair:

Another 100 (monthly) shows would take us to July 2019; Sir Patrick would by that time be 96.

I've received the billing info for the April edition:

Sir Patrick Moore joins an unlikely star party in the heart of London, where enthusiastic astronomers are cutting through the light pollution to see the planets and stars. Dr Chris Lintott also drops in on another star party - the 88th birthday celebrations for the nation's most famous astronomer.

:rolleyes:

Not sure he'll make the 800th show but...a possible milestone would be 29 Oct 2013, significant as the 10th anniversary of this thread! I'd say he's capable of that.

No news of Sir Patrick, but I did just learn that Dutch-born US astronomer Tom Gehrels died 11 July 2011, aged 86.

regards,

Hein

I've received the billing info for the April edition:

Sir Patrick Moore joins an unlikely star party in the heart of London, where enthusiastic astronomers are cutting through the light pollution to see the planets and stars. Dr Chris Lintott also drops in on another star party - the 88th birthday celebrations for the nation's most famous astronomer.

:birthday:

I was at that Star Party in London (interviewed on the show) and Sir Patrick is as sharp as a knife and was filming/chatting for more than 12 hours. It'll be the body that goes before the mind but he's clearly got a heart like a trip hammer too.

Glad he's not on the list this year - he'll be a big loss to us astrophoners/xylonomers one day. A smashing chap to boot.

I'm watching the latest episode of TSAN now. Sir Patrick, while discussing Uranus, looks no worse than last time.

Ooh, old footage of an interview by Sir P. with Arthur C. Clarke!

regards,

Hein

Sir Patrick looked even more frail than during his pieces to camera on the Sky Watch programme other day, when given the honour of having part of the Leicester Space Centre named after him. Now wheelchair bound, quite frankly, he looked like death wheeled round. Sad end, I fear, quickly approaching...

It looks to me, like the UK now has a very real space race of sorts in action... who will go first Sir Patrick or Prof Hawking...?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/9034627/Sir-Patrick-Moore-I-cant-operate-my-telescope-anymore.html

can't operate telescope anymore and wish he died 10 years ago.

He is a world war 2 vetern too i never knew that.

The crack about reading Times' obituaries and getting on with the day's work once he's determined he's not there shows he isn't totally out of the game yet. Marginal 2012/2013 IMHO. He's obviously failing, so could be nailed on for next year if he makes the start line.

The crack about reading Times' obituaries and getting on with the day's work once he's determined he's not there shows he isn't totally out of the game yet. Marginal 2012/2013 IMHO. He's obviously failing, so could be nailed on for next year if he makes the start line.

I agree. He seems in fine spirits, although he may yet be let down by his failing functions.

Very solid bet for this year's list to look at him.

This appeared in a newspaper this week (I would like to point out that I did not buy it - somebody gave it to me for lining animal cages but I saw this story and thought it was worth posting)

This guy is so awesome there is not a trace of bitterness in the article.

He still sounds sharp but the body is giving up.

When he goes he will be missed.

http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/314889/At-115-730-F-in-the-shade-I-still-needed-a-hot-water-bottle

Annoying stuff but there's not too much evidence he's in immediate danger. Good call from those deciding to leave him OFF this year, IMHO.

This month's TSAN featured, not surprisingly, Sir Patrick's earlier encounters with Sir Bernard Lovell and Neil Armstrong. Also featured was the Mars Curiosity Rover... and very interesting too.

Sir Patrick looked about the same as he has for the past year or so.

Just had an idea to watch the Sky at Night programme to catch an update on Sir Patrick and I was struck that he had very little on air time this month. So much so, I timed it. His opening to the show was 21 seconds long and his closing statement was just 7 seconds.

Brave face on it all, but I fear he really can't keep going much longer.

What with Carson going earlier this year, not a good year for ageing UKIP members