Guest Arnold

Sir Patrick Moore

In other words, there are things being discovered and new ground is being covered on the back of UFO research. Not much evidence of any aliens, mind.

No. The goverment grabbed a - hold of the broom and dusted it all away.

Either way Banshees; no evidence in sight that'd convince a skeptic of Godot's pedigree eh? Re the government swept it all away arguments; the whole point about the likes of Persinger and his little band of fellow researchers is that they'd argue - with evidence - that personal belief is a strong element in the UFO stories we hear, and lots of people BELIEVE governments cover it up. Perversely this has probably been more useful to governments than UFO believers. For example, testing the new stealth aircraft against civilian radar in the seventies prompted some UFO reports leaking from radar operatives. Told the military the technology worked.

I have a relative who believes the moonwalks were staged. Apparently that belief is not uncommon these days.

I have a relative who believes the moonwalks were staged. Apparently that belief is not uncommon these days.

If you're really up for an uphill battle, go convince these people that the Earth is round on their forums.

Mebbe common but it's bullshit IMHO, we went to the Moon. Channel Four did a fairly accessible documentary that took on and trashed all the main planks of the 'we didn't go' believers. That's before you even begin to explain how everyone involved from directors, soundmen, studio bosses etc have all kept such a big secret for 37 years. If it was a scam why bother with all the others after Apollo 11?

Mebbe common but it's bullshit IMHO, we went to the Moon. Channel Four did a fairly accessible documentary that took on and trashed all the main planks of the 'we didn't go' believers. That's before you even begin to explain how everyone involved from directors, soundmen, studio bosses etc have all kept such a big secret for 37 years. If it was a scam why bother with all the others after Apollo 11?

Exactly. Believing that it was all faked is as bonkers as... well, as believing in UFOs and little green men.

Perversely this has probably been more useful to governments than UFO believers. For example, testing the new stealth aircraft against civilian radar in the seventies prompted some UFO reports leaking from radar operatives. Told the military the technology worked.

What about the Rendlesham Forest Incident? On December 26 1980?

A hoax or not?

http://www.etcontact.net/cases/case279.htm

If you're really up for an uphill battle, go convince these people that the Earth is round on their forums.

I have a forum to F**k with. O pardon my language. They will call me Rev. Frederic Schraft. :D

Perversely this has probably been more useful to governments than UFO believers. For example, testing the new stealth aircraft against civilian radar in the seventies prompted some UFO reports leaking from radar operatives. Told the military the technology worked.

What about the Rendlesham Forest Incident? On December 26 1980?

A hoax or not?

http://www.etcontact.net/cases/case279.htm

Was there an incident? For certain.

Aliens? No way.

In fact the Roberts/Randles/Clark book has a fairly good demolition, largely based on the work of Ian Ridpath. One odd thing about Rendlesham/Roswell etc etc is that a lot of those directly involved who come back later on a write books seem to have failed to spot each other at the incidents. Not surprising when - for example - at Roswell the three or four definitive sites of the incident aren't even within sight of each other!

Re Rendlesham, if you struggle with the lighthouse alone one plausible scenario that fits all the facts is the lighthouse theory coupled with the possibility that an exercise involving a Cruise missile went wrong and they briefly lost the thing over the side of a transporter. That more or less explains why loads of people were in the forest, lights were seen from the road, a Christmas dinner was interrupted etc. Since Upper Heyford and Greenham Common were the only bases supposed to have such technology at the time it might also explain why a UFO story would be a convenient distraction. Since the missiles were supposed to be mobile and the peace camps outside the two bases were stopping this it might also explain why they'd stick a few - undeclared - in the middle of a forest in East Anglia. For this to make sense isn't really such a stretch. A few of the airmen despatched into the forest wouldn't have had a clue about anything other than investigating lights and in the ensuing confusion every piece of information officially released is - technically - correct, it simply omits to mention one key fact, the presence of a Cruise missile.

Just an idea, like.

A couple months ago I watched a reenactment of the Rendlesham Forest incident, the story as it happened, I think that I may have seen the story on two different broadcasts, 'from seperate programs' and the men claimed to have not only seen the strange circus lights, and strange lights moving around through the trees, but atleast four respected officers claimed to have seen a strange object, above there heads which was round and narrow with colored lights. It became so low to the ground that one man claimed it was as if time drifted very slow as it was above him. It was a couple feet off the ground, when the object then went straight up into the sky vanishing completely.

A couple months ago I watched a reenactment of the Rendlesham Forest incident, the story as it happened, I think that I may have seen the story on two different broadcasts, 'from seperate programs' and the men claimed to have not only seen the strange circus lights, and strange lights moving around through the trees, but atleast four respected officers claimed to have seen a strange object, above there heads which was round and narrow with colored lights. It became so low to the ground that one man claimed it was as if time drifted very slow as it was above him. It was a couple feet off the ground, when the object then went straight up into the sky vanishing completely.

I suspect it was an elaborate excuse to explain away a "dogging" meet in the woods.

I suspect it was an elaborate excuse to explain away a "dogging" meet in the woods.

I hate to admit that I ponder my own beliefs, with all the written definitions in this world, and all the explanations defined, Russia is standing behind a shower curtain.

It's a fairly common occurance in such cases that witnesses, including ex-military types come forward and make money from television, books and the rest. The 'respected' witnesses in this case might have included Larry Warren, author of Left at East Gate, a man filmed wandering around the 'landing site' for television. Oddly, his Rendlesham landing site isn't quite where others put it whilst the most senior military witness, Lt Col Charles Holt doesn't confirm any landing, just lights in the trees. Oh yeah, and with a logic that's barely comprehensible Warren's book also ties in the 'landing' with the 1987 hurricane. Roswell is better, at least two strong witnesses there also had business links to one of the three UFO museums in the town. Then there's Bonnybridge in Scotland, where a few enterprising people played up UFO reports and generated a short-lived tourist boom, allegedly.

Any recent news on his deteriorating health? I'm in a dead pool here in the States and our draft is next Monday. Moore is one of my keepers, and I'd like to know if he's a goner soon. Thanks!

Any recent news on his deteriorating health? I'm in a dead pool here in the States and our draft is next Monday. Moore is one of my keepers, and I'd like to know if he's a goner soon. Thanks!

Clearly, Mr. Toole, given that the last 3 pages of this thread have been almost entirely given over to idle speculation from the Usual Suspects on topics spanning UFOs, stealth aircraft, garden fairies and god helmets, whatever they are, there has been no recent news of Sir Patrick's health, deteriorating or otherwise.

My advice would be to keep him on your list; if he is desperately hanging on for anything, it's for the 50th anniversary of his television show The Sky At Night which occurs next year, in April, I believe.

I strongly suspect that Chris Lintott will be lurking around Sir Patrick's back garden this weekend, looking out for the Leonids. Will you be watching?

HELLO RAT FANS !

Borley here to get this thread back on track.Chris will indeed be round Pats rear this weekend.I have it on good authority he has polished his 9" with one of his magic cleaning cloths (patricks soiled dung hampers).

i will say in response to the earlier posts regarding ufo's and the like,that i did witness a couple of weird night sky happenings when i was a lad.one involved two starlike points of light coliding and producing a third which proceeded to descend to the horizon (aeroplane crash? i dont think so some how) and the other was another star shaped point of light moving in a random direction across large tracts of the night sky at a speed which was not possible by human design.(all true)

patrick seems to be in good health from my own observations using my olympus 500mm telephoto slr but i cannot explain what a small taiwanese boy was doing dressing up as chris lintot and "dancind" for patrick in a sexy stylee

Borley; does the description of rent boy antics chez Patrick - not something apparantly possible given his declining health - suggest a certain invention on your part? If so, where does that leave the veracity of your UFO sighting? It's a big point of Patrick's - and other skeptics - that many reporting sightings also seem to see a range of other bizarre things.

forget my feeble attempts at humour but the "ufo" events i listed are 100% true.i am certain that whatever i saw back in the 80's (even at the age of 10) was not possible by human hand.however i do doubt the existence of classical ufo's as shown in the popular media.they would have made a more meaningful approach to us by now rather than be content at hovering over some irrelevant part of the world.surely if the arguement is they do not wish to interfere but merely observe then they would, by virtue of the fact they have develoed faster than light propulsion,have reached a developmental point enabling them to be truely invisible and not spinning in the sky flashing like gary glitter at a scouts camp site.time travel into the past is another impossible.why are we not being visited by anyone.after all, trillions of years are lying ahead of us so in all that time SOMEONE if not millions of people would have wanted to come back even to this dull as ditch water point in time.i think something bad happens to the human race/earth before we reach the point we are able to invent a time machine.an asteroid collision or nuclear war perhaps?

Bravo!

A brilliant, almost Paul McKenna-like in some ways, performance by maryportfuncity, pulling BORLEYRECTORY back off-topic with a single click of his post-counter.

Could someone ban him from this thread, please? Some threads deserve a bit of decorum and respect. I think this is one of them.

Patrick Moore haiku;

Maryportfuncity's just

Taking the p*ss now

This may come as a bit of a shock to some of you but...

this is only an internet forum.

This may come as a bit of a shock to some of you but...

this is only an internet forum.

You said it once, it had value. You say it twice, it got old.

I did, actually. Obviously had to put a replacement in.

There is one person on the DDP who is on there for precisely the same reasons as Monkhouse would've been, but has responded better to treatment. They're on my DDP list this year.

Has that person died this year?

I did, actually. Obviously had to put a replacement in.

There is one person on the DDP who is on there for precisely the same reasons as Monkhouse would've been, but has responded better to treatment. They're on my DDP list this year.

Has that person died this year?

Grim Rita, no. They're still alive & what's more still, provisionally, on my list for 2007 as well. I haven't seen much signs of recovery in the last year, put it like that. :P

OoO you could - like - show a little generosity and drop a name here.