Sean

By -Election Bingo 2019-2024

1 minute ago, Brad252 said:

Scott Benton resigns, so the by-election in Blackpool South is on (unless the GE is called before it can happen).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68658896

Labour gain either way, surely - it took Corbyn to lose the place, so doable to restore the Red Wall, IMHO anyway.

• Like 1

Pincher stepped down for pinching, Peter Bone stepped down for, well you know, now Scott Benton has resigned for being bent.

I look forward to Greg Hands having to step down due to giving dodgy hand jobs.

17 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

Pincher stepped down for pinching, Peter Bone stepped down for, well you know, now Scott Benton has resigned for being bent.

I look forward to Greg Hands having to step down due to giving dodgy hand jobs.

I hope to high fuck that Peter Bottomley's eventual resignation-triggering shenanigans don't result in a picture leak.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

I hope to high fuck that Peter Bottomley's eventual resignation-triggering shenanigans don't result in a picture leak.

Or we discover Liz Truss is so-named because of a fondness for bondage

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Or we discover Liz Truss is so-named because of a fondness for bondage

I was waiting for that one.  :D

Then of course Johnson is one of the many synonyms for penis.

7 hours ago, Toast said:

I was waiting for that one.  :D

Then of course Johnson is one of the many synonyms for penis.

Aye, bit harsh on the average penis to have to endure such a comparison, eh?

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, bit harsh on the average penis to have to endure such a comparison, eh?

It's ok, I just compare as Dwayne rather that Boris. Nothing to do with his nickname at all - nothing.

Anyone pick Lagan Valley? No reason…

Looks bad.

His missus has been charged as well apparently?

They'll have to rescind his knighthood if he gets convicted.

There is an irony that the leader of the political party that doesn't back the Good Friday Agreement has been booted on Good Friday.

• Like 3

I wonder if we might soon be seeing a by election in Hazel Grove? 

Hazel Grove looking likely. The cesspit of Westminster Grindr.. those were the days.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Hazel Grove looking likely. The cesspit of Westminster Grindr.. those were the days.

Reading the story I can’t tell if it’s a resignation issue? 

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I would say it is. You would be sacked in many jobs for that. Particularly as the Times are implying it might have outed some people maybe not in the closet. 

22 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He met a guy on Grindr and supplied him with the telephone numbers of other MPs, staffers and journalists. No real context given as to why he would do such a thing, but by his own admission he’s ‘weak’. So the implication being he met someone and was blackmailed. 

Will’s already announced he’s standing down at the general but I struggle to see how he could face his colleagues after spreading personal contact details about to unsavoury characters.

What I can’t yet fathom is if this story is linked to the one the other week about the state actor and the honeypot snares, or if this is a different kettle of fish. The cyber security analysts quoted say this specific incident is not sophisticated so likely an individual as opposed to state actor. 

In my opinion it’s a resigning issue. What Will does with his personal life is for him, but to dish out numbers and open others up to it is a step too far. He may well just tough it out but it’s a sorry state of affairs.

• Like 4

Not exactly a by-election but I'm not thinking to start another thread for the non-event of Police and Crime Commissioner elections. Interesting development in Cumbria (where the post also includes responsibility for the fire service). The incumbent - Peter McCall (Conservative) -  has done two terms and isn't standing again, though the Conservatives do have another candidate. The problem is, as things stand, he's currently the only candidate!

https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/elections/pcc.cumbria.2024-05-02/police-and-crime-commissioner-for-cumbria/

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Not exactly a by-election but I'm not thinking to start another thread for the non-event of Police and Crime Commissioner elections. Interesting development in Cumbria (where the post also includes responsibility for the fire service). The incumbent - Peter McCall (Conservative) -  has done two terms and isn't standing again, though the Conservatives do have another candidate. The problem is, as things stand, he's currently the only candidate!

https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/elections/pcc.cumbria.2024-05-02/police-and-crime-commissioner-for-cumbria/

That’s odd. The current You Gov MRP puts the Tories as losing all their seats in Cumbria in the general election. 

38 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

For the love of god please don’t bother. There’s a general political discussion thread. PCCs are the most boring and pointless things in the whole of the UK political system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

For the love of god please don’t bother. There’s a general political discussion thread. PCCs are the most boring and pointless things in the whole of the UK political system.

Couldn't agree more but it's likely something worth ranting about if only because it is so pointless. They're elected on a ridiculously low turnout and you'd suspect the Tories like them because the whole concept of some right minded person keeping the police honest appeals to avid Daily Mailsters and the like. So this daft situation where only the Tories appear willing to give Cumbria a go despite their tanking fortunes tells us something important about the whole PCC role. I promise I won't go hog wild on this. Doubtless there's some arm twisting taking place at this very moment whereby Labour (probably) field someone who gathers votes from everyone who wants the Tories out and even Cumbria has a tight election, possibly even their first Labour PCC. 

I wonder what the chances of a Ashton-under-Lyne by election are. 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

I wonder what the chances of a Ashton-under-Lyne by election are. 

Lord Ashcroft, is that you?

Mark Menzies has had the Tory Whip suspended after serious allegations in the Times. 

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Mark Menzies has had the Tory Whip suspended after serious allegations in the Times. 

Aye, not sure I trust all the online speculation. Does anyone know for sure who these "bad people" are?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68841840