Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

I think I'm almost happy that I won't be moving on in this one.  Sounds like a buttload of research will be needed, and the flavor of the game has certainly changed. 

Congratulations Jiroemon, a very solid win for you this round. Wishing you continued good fortune.

UvQo3yLhNIj7YPnvJ1.gif

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

It's really sad that this lovely contest will become a 'who can guess the right eleven C19 victims' contest.  I mean it is what it is, but sad nonetheless.

Scenes when they all get better and Willz advances thanks to Frank Ifield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Alright everyone. Today I’ve got some exciting news. We actually have a sponsor for the cup for the first time in history. Yep, that’s right. One amazing company have decided to throw their support behind the cup for the month of April. So without a further ado, our sponsor for the month of April is none other than Corona beer!

CAF3B565-9F99-4F62-930E-BE2DFFD310CC.thumb.jpeg.762e413702ab784f5468470fd7d5a18b.jpeg

So, everyone please thank Corona beer for sponsoring us and enjoy a bottle during the upcoming months of chaos...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Cup favourite from the last year or two -- and apparently indestructible City Councilor Doug Lachance has come forward to publicly identify himself as Rochester’s first confirmed COVID-19 case.  City officials announced Monday a Rochester resident had tested positive for the disease caused by the new coronavirus for the first time, but didn’t identify the person due to privacy laws.  Lachance, who was released from the hospital Tuesday and is reportedly no longer contagious, said he hopes identifying himself can help raise awareness and help calm local residents who may be fearful or anxious due to the pandemic.

SC

On 01/03/2020 at 02:29, Deathray said:

He's a DDP Drop Forty pick, what rock are you living under?

He's had pancreatic cancer (read: tickling clock) for nearly a year?

Well ditto all that and Trebek will remain just as shite a pick in April.  I DO hope all y'all line up in his queue though.

48 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Well ditto all that and Trebek will remain just as shite a pick in April.  I DO hope all y'all line up in his queue though.

Oh fuck off SC. Don't you have coronavirus victims to be kissing?

Or colleagues who'd cough in your face without a second thought?

• Haha 1

Clorox or FixedBusiness vs Maryport or Deadsox
2. Sir Creep or Joey Russ vs Bibliogryphon or msc
3. DDT or Book vs Skinny Kiltrunner or JiroemonKimura 
4. Chorizo or HDS vs Quim Reaper or Deathray
5. Engineer or Grim vs Grobler or John Key
6. Oldlady or DeathByArsenic vs Torva or Reptile
7. An Fear Bag or Alt Obits Guy vs YoungWillz or Wormfarmer 
8. Banana or Spade_Cooley vs Death Impends or Ethushishispushingupdaisies

It’s an update

MPFC line up duly despatched to Joey's inbox, where they'll likely be told to stand down. I've instructed some of the new talent assembled just in case they're needed for next month to WEIGHTON see what happens :mellow:

• Haha 1

On 01/03/2020 at 00:10, Joey Russ said:

March Cup masterlist:

1. Hau Pei-Tsun - YoungWilz*, FixedBusiness  

If this guy has died, and the obits are now coming in, well, first, BOLLOCKS, he was one of my go to guys for April.

But...I think this means Willz now has the record for latest lead switch in a month?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh baby, it's a late goooooooooaaaaaallllll! https://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news/section/2/144680/Former-Taiwan-premier-Hau-Pei-tsun-dies-at-100 

*Bloody hell, means I've got a team to select. Might go with Frank Ifield......

(*Ron Weasley)

I humbly apologise to An Fear Beag if they now lose 4-0 to a single Frank Ifield death in April...

:D

• Like 1

A couple of really late hits in the cup. And with that, we also have a really late score change, with YoungWillz taking the lead against Wormfarmer due to him having Hau Pei-Tsun as joker! Poor Wormfarmer, that’s the second time his lead change against him after it looked like he’d win the match. However, as Yogi Bear once said, it ain’t over till it’s over. 

D1466CE6-09E7-41C3-B163-FA9A0AA56444.png.79ad8708c40b899938680028a5af9caf.png

Pei-Tsun is also a consolation prize for FixedBusiness, who really needs a miracle if they want to move on at this point. Elsewhere, grobler gets his second unique in March as he takes a 5 point lead against John Key. Certainly one to watch out for in the cup.

1. Skinny Kiltrunner vs JiroemonKimura 6 - 13

2. Grobler vs John Key 8 - 3

3. Engineer vs Grim 3 - 9

4. YoungWillz vs Wormfarmer 6 - 3

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 15

6. Torva vs Reptile 12 - 6

7. Banana vs Spade_Cooley 15 - 9

8. Quim Reaper vs Deathray 6 - 0 

9. Maryport vs Deadsox 3 - 6

10. Oldlady vs DeathByArsenic 6 - 10 

11. An Fear Bag vs Alt Obits Guy 13 - 3

12. DDT vs Book 9 - 9

13. Sir Creep vs Joey Russ 12 - 6

14. Chorizo vs HDS 10 - 9

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 12 - 0 

16. Clorox vs FixedBusiness 15 - 6 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

That’s the second person on my February team that went in March after I’d dropped them. I really must learn to be a little more patient. :facepalm:

3 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

That’s the second person on my February team that went in March after I’d dropped them. I really must learn to be a little more patient. :facepalm:

Tbf, you didn’t really need any of them for this month, hehe

EFFFFFF me . . . . . .  I had a decent April team all ready to go.  But I probably wouldn't have lasted long anyway as I have a hunch there is some celebrity virus website that I don't know about that everyone else is subscribed to.   Nice comeback, Willz. 

Suppose I should send in my "just in case" team anyway, and then follow along at home to see how I would have fared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

Well, it could be worse. In 2018, I was playing Deadsox, who was at that point undefeated in Cup play. The match had 1 point in it, and then late in the month games designer Bernie de Koven died. He had been on my previous months team, and after rushing to check my points...I suddenly remembered I had dropped the guy from my team.

Went out by 1 point. Deadsox made the Semifinals.

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Grobler vs John Key 8 - 3

Was kind of hoping for some late points here. Careful what you wish for, I guess. 

GG

1 hour ago, Wormfarmer said:

EFFFFFF me . . . . . .  I had a decent April team all ready to go.  But I probably wouldn't have lasted long anyway as I have a hunch there is some celebrity virus website that I don't know about that everyone else is subscribed to.   Nice comeback, Wilz. 

Suppose I should send in my "just in case" team anyway, and then follow along at home to see how I would have fared.

Thanks, but really there's a long way to go in March.

I have a feeling that this one, close as it is, won't be decided until the midnight chimes of tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Thanks, but really there's a long way to go in March.

I have a feeling that this one, close as it is, won't be decided until the midnight chimes of tomorrow.

Hah most of my prospective team died this week by the feel of it.

Meanwhile Sir Creep is somewhere about to reach for his phone: "Hello, Hospice Owner in Louisiana, this is Sir Creep. Yes, I am fine thanks. OK, who got the last rites this weekend? Thank you, I'm noting them down. Me? No I'm facing msc. Hahah yes, very droll, it is like a bye. Right, thanks for the team, 30 points guaranteed. Oh yes, certainly, give an autographed Sir Creep photo to any of my team who want one." :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Same here. :unsure:

There is now 24 hours to go to send in your team. Yes, the end of the month is already here, and I have to wait on about 13 teams...

36 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

There is now 24 hours to go to send in your team. Yes, the end of the month is already here, and I have to wait on about 13 teams...

Wrong thread?

Edited by Death Impends
Now moved to correct thread

Deane Sutherland is dead

Not a QO but the article about him getting married last year was to a Toni and the age is about right. One of the comments talks about him going to the Great Gig in the Sky too.

So not claiming the points just pointing out he's dead.