Joey Russ

The 2020 Deathlist Cup

Thanks Great Uncle Bulgaria for the February match and best of luck to Chorizo for our March one. 

• Thanks 1

Larry Eckhardt - alt obits guy, Spade 

I hate to be a complainer, but are we really allowing a dude who is only notable for planting flags?

4 minutes ago, Banana said:

I hate to be a complainer, but are we really allowing a dude who is only notable for planting flags?

He’s not just any person who plants flags. He’s the Flag Man. Definitely seems like a super hero to me. :D 
Seriously though, he planted an impressive half million flags, and has received multiple articles for his work even before his health woes. That was enough for him to pass the fame test for me...

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

He’s not just any person who plants flags. He’s the Flag Man. Definitely seems like a super hero to me. :D 
Seriously though, he planted an impressive half million flags, and has received multiple articles for his work even before his health woes. That was enough for him to pass the fame test for me...

Well Joseph you should've told me this beforehand 

• Haha 1

Remember, you can always inquiry picks to me beforehand to see if they pass the fame test. That’s always an option you know... 

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Remember, you can always inquiry picks to me beforehand to see if they pass the fame test. That’s always an option you know... 

I know I'm just messing with ya

If Freeman Dyson had held on for another 48 hours or so I might have started this game with a bang

Lucky I put subs in

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

If there’s one thing the Cup does on opening day is enlighten you as to your deficiencies as a researcher.

Amen to that.

Very disheartening when you spend hours googling for good names,  then  you see names on the master list that 5 or 6 people have picked and you have never heard of them. 

3 hours ago, Banana said:

If you don’t like « the flag man » then I guess you are really not going to like « The sooty man »:D

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

If there’s one thing the Cup does on opening day is enlighten you as to your deficiencies as a researcher.
12 of 16 teams have Trebek - Did I miss some tragic news or summat?  

He's a DDP Drop Forty pick, what rock are you living under?

He's had pancreatic cancer (read: tickling clock) for nearly a year?

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

1. Quim Reaper (T Smith, Skinner, L Smith, Sang-chul, Little, Gulpilil, Tobin, Trebek, Buydens, P-Orridge, Weinstein) vs Deathray (Philip*, Stiles, Dole, Ginsburg, Scales, White, Connolly, Benedict, Banali, Windsor, Trebek)

Asterisk on Tom Smith please.

Only one name in common! This should be interesting. I shall lose in an interesting way.

8 hours ago, msc said:

Oh crumbs...

Anyhow, good luck Biblio - I think it'll be a close match.

I am just checking out the opposition as most of those names are new to me

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am just checking out the opposition as most of those names are new to me

1. Michael Ziegler is the CEO of Pride Industries (a US version of ATOS).

2. Willie K is a blues musician very popular in Hawaii.

3. Peter Tobin is Bible John, you've probably heard of him.

4. Genesis P-orridge is on the current DL.

5. Laura Smith is a Canadian singer I nicked off Sir Creep's team because it seemed a good tip. :D

6. Iraj Hairichi is the Iranian health minister who just came down with coronavirus.

7. Alcee Hastings is a corrupt US politician.

8. Lone Dybkjaer - former Danish Cabinet minister and wife of a former Danish PM.

9. John O'Donnell - The stock mayor of a vaguely big city with terminal cancer pick.

10. Serena Liu - A TV personality and socialite in Taiwan

11. Rip Oliver - old school wrestler from the 1980s.

• Thanks 1

Well played HDS, good luck in future rounds...

• Thanks 1

Could be shades of Italy 2010 about my team this time out, the defending champions getting turned over without ease in the opener. Quite happy that my Mohamed Hussein Tantawi pick turned out to be unique: he'll get a proper DDP-worthy QO no problem (head of the Egyptian military under Mubarak, the man who oversaw the Port Said Massacre).

5 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Asterisk on Tom Smith please.

Only one name in common! This should be interesting. I shall lose in an interesting way.

You almost didn't have an opponent.

That list was literally a D40 DDP scroll down of 'why not;'

So it’s a trend that every round I host will have slow starts now, eh?

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

So it’s a trend that every round I host will have slow starts now, eh?

y’all crazy.  Not even 1.5 days haha.  I would call 5 days a slow start.  Doldrums even.  But 30 hours, I mean golly thats mighty demanding.

So photographer Asa Ellison is a bit of a popular cult name this time around, with many of the all time cup greats picking him. First off, both Banana and Spade had him on their squad, in what’s expected to be the most exciting match of this month. DDT also begins to edge out book in his goal to make it past round 2 unlike March. Clorox used his joker against FixedBusiness, as did DeathByArsenic. Finally, my squonking is beginning, as Sir Creep gets his very first hit against me, and proving while he lost in round 1 he’s still one of the ones to watch. Anyway, points!

1. Skinny Kiltrunner vs JiroemonKimura 0 - 0

2. Grobler vs John Key 0 - 0

3. Engineer vs Grim 0 - 0 

4. YoungWillz vs Wormfarmer 0 - 0 

5. Bibliogryphon vs msc 0 - 0 

6. Torva vs Reptile 0 - 0 

7. Banana vs Spade_Cooley 3 - 3 

8. Quim Reaper vs Deathray 0 - 0 

9. Maryport vs Deadsox 0 - 0 

10. Oldlady vs DeathByArsenic 0 - 6 

11. An Fear Bag vs Alt Obits Guy 0 - 0 

12. DDT vs Book 3 - 0 

13. Sir Creep vs Joey Russ 3 - 0 

14. Chorizo vs HDS 0 - 0 

15. Death Impends vs Ethushishispushingupdaisies 0 - 0 

16. Clorox vs FixedBusiness 6 - 0 

• Like 2

I was bemoaning not having a single unique this 'monkey see monkey do' round of 32.  But it appears only two people have unique jokers, so barely anyone will score 8 points like last round.  The only 'pieces of eight' I see are: 

Steve Blackmore - Engineer*

James Watson - Bibliogryphon*

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

But it appears only two people have unique jokers, so barely anyone will score 8 points like last round.  The only 'pieces of eight' I see are: 

Me and msc will be hoping that 'barely anyone' turns out to be no-one. :smoking-smiley:

6 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

So Asa Ellison has died, but Hawaii News Now, instead of writing a new article, have just updated their previous one. You can see because the URL is still "has his final wish" rather than "is dead". 

I see it's counting as an obit.  But.... should it? (And I HAVE the guy!)  I wouldn't if I was running this thing.  Not that a legit Hawaiian news service won't publish something by now (I haven't looked).

(OK I Looked...and MSN has it. But that crap up there from 'tripadvisor' should not have qualified imho.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/beloved-hawaii-photographer-battling-terminal-cancer-dies-at-53/ar-BB10xkfY

4 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:
7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

But it appears only two people have unique jokers, so barely anyone will score 8 points like last round.  The only 'pieces of eight' I see are: 

Me and msc will be hoping that 'barely anyone' turns out to be no-one. :smoking-smiley:

I"m pretty sure Biblio meant James Lipton not Watson.

• Haha 1