The Old Crem

15. Glynis Johns

I find it hard to believe she hasn’t been included this year. Feel like it might be another pretty big miss. Hoping she makes it to 100+ though or pulls an Olivia de Havilland and lives well into her 100s

• Like 3

NOT dead

This article from the Express from a few weeks ago has some insights into her health as she approaches 100. There are very fitting calls to give her a Damehood. 

• Like 5

Just now, Thatcher said:

NOT dead

This article from the Express from a few weeks ago has some insights into her health as she approaches 100. There are very fitting calls to put her on the Deathlist.

FTFY.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 04/06/2023 at 16:08, Thatcher said:

NOT dead

This article from the Express from a few weeks ago has some insights into her health as she approaches 100. There are very fitting calls to give her a Damehood. 

Would be well deserved. Suspect through practise of giving Knighthoods and DameAhoods is soon for the chop through. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Would be well deserved. Suspect through practise of giving Knighthoods and DameAhoods is soon for the chop through. 

Surely far worthier of a damehood than Stanley Johnson (alleged wife beater & groper of at least 2 women including MP Caroline Noakes) is of a knighthood.

• Like 5

Oh look at how the daily mail is lying. Since when does Glynis johns is the world oldest actress ? 
Hold on Micheline Presle is older than her.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, La Tombe said:

Oh look at how the daily mail is lying. Since when does Glynis johns is the world oldest actress ? 
Hold on Micheline Presle is oldest than her.

Since when does the Daily Mail have reliable factcheckers, lol?

• Like 4

https://abc7.com/13864695/

Gives rare interview on her 100th! She looks and sounds pretty good.

Incredibly, not only is there no Damehood but no star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

She looks bad and sounds frail.

2024 is DL 's last chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, drol said:

She looks bad and sounds frail.

2024 is DL 's last chance.

I have problem knowing how famous she is tbh. Is she UK centric ? I never heard of her before DL 

3 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I have problem knowing how famous she is tbh. Is she UK centric ? I never heard of her before DL 

tbh no idea if the Oscar nominated, Tony Award winning, Disney Hall of Fame actress is famous. If only she was in one of the most repeated on TV kids films of the last 60 years or something to help me work it out. Or a 70s horror classic.

I respectfully suggest your lack of knowledge is down to her having had the common sense to save her money, so she could retire gracefully in  her 70s, a quarter of a century ago. She's more famous than half the hobby horse names brought up in the annual "Who should the Cmme pick?" threads.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, msc said:

tbh no idea if the Oscar nominated, Tony Award winning, Disney Hall of Fame actress is famous. If only she was in one of the most repeated on TV kids films of the last 60 years or something to help me work it out. Or a 70s horror classic.

I respectfully suggest your lack of knowledge is down to her having had the common sense to save her money, so she could retire gracefully in  her 70s, a quarter of a century ago. She's more famous than half the hobby horse names brought up in the annual "Who should the Cmme pick?" threads.

To rectify : she’s a best supporting actress nominee, Disney Hall of Fame doesn’t mean anything really and she was not the first role or anything near in the Vault of Horror. She’s famous yes but there is plenty of other old actresses that seem more famous than her (Kim Novak, Tippi Hedren, Eva Marie Saint Who is way more famous I think, playing for Hitchcock and « on the waterfront », Ursula Andress…)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

She's an Oscar nominated actress, Mary Poppins is a film that everyone knows and I definitely think her longevity has contributed to her fame, so she is 100000% famous enough.

If you took a poll on a British high-street I doubt many would know her name but then would immediately recognise her as Mrs Banks the Suffragette in Mary Poppins.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

She's an Oscar nominated actress, Mary Poppins is a film that everyone knows and I definitely think her longevity has contributed to her fame, so she is 100000% famous enough.

If you took a poll on a British high-street I doubt many would know her name but then would immediately recognise her as Mrs Banks the Suffragette in Mary Poppins.

I get it. Probably Mary poppins centric yes. My point is just I think there are better actresses to put in (Cf. Eva Marie Saint !!)

13 minutes ago, msc said:

Come off it, she’s waaay less famous than, say, a French politician’s widow whose name escapes me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, TQR said:

Come off it, she’s waaay less famous than, say, a French politician’s widow whose name escapes me.

I won’t argue. Glynis Johns is 90% anonymous in France except for cinematic lover and deathlist fans. That’s a UK centric site and I obey by your rules, I even have Johns in my shadow list. Ask in the english streets Who knows Bernadette Chirac and in the french street Who is Glynis Johns, I think Chirac wins. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Lafaucheuse said:

I get it. Probably Mary poppins centric yes. My point is just I think there are better actresses to put in (Cf. Eva Marie Saint !!)

I had never heard of Eva M-S before joining the forums, I've had heard of North by North West but I've never seen it and I doubt many younger people have, on the other hand I'd say 99% of the UK have seen Poppins at least once. As for the other names you mentioned earlier, Tippi Hedren is a name I recognise but the Birds is the only film of hers I've heard of (and again I haven't seen it), I have never heard of Ursula Andress or Kim Novak before now, despite the former apparently being the first 'Bond girl'. So at the end of the day deciding which of these people is the most 'deathlist worthy' is a pointless exercise as everyone will see them as having different levels of fame.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I had never heard of Eva M-S before joining the forums, I've had heard of North by North West but I've never seen it and I doubt many younger people have, on the other hand I'd say 99% of the UK have seen Poppins at least once. As for the other names you mentioned earlier, Tippi Hedren is a name I recognise but the Birds is the only film of hers I've heard of (and again I haven't seen it), I have never heard of Ursula Andress or Kim Novak before now, despite the former apparently being the first 'Bond girl'. So at the end of the day deciding which of these people is the most 'deathlist worthy' is a pointless exercise as everyone will see them as having different levels of fame.

100% agree with you, it’s subjective. On the Waterfront, North by Northwest, the Birds and Mary Poppins are all classics. I stand my ground on Eva Marie Saint though.

8 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

100% agree with you, it’s subjective. On the Waterfront, North by Northwest, the Birds and Mary Poppins are all classics. I stand my ground on Eva Marie Saint though.

Thing is, Glynis Johns is pretty frail. We have video evidence of this from this week.

When was the last time we saw photographic/video evidence of Eva Marie Saint's condition? February 2020 she seemed fine.

• Like 1

I'm going to wait for Laurence Fox to assess all these actresses and their relative fame.

And then wonder who the hell Laurence Fox is. ;)

50 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

image.jpeg.15445adf31ab106bbb90c1b42d88c91b.jpeg

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

image.jpeg.15445adf31ab106bbb90c1b42d88c91b.jpeg

The wisdom of the masses and also in this case, of Zoidberg, both show that the proposal for both Glynis Johns and Eva Marie Saint is the correct one.

Please refer to the table below of the actresses named in the threads above and the number of picks they have in the 2023 DDP.

Name

DDP 2023 picks

Glynis Johns

28 (D40)

Kim Novak

Tippi Hedren

Eva Marie Saint

28 (D40)

Ursula Andress

• Like 4