The Old Crem

15. Glynis Johns

RIP Glynis Johns (1923-2024)

A wonderdul actress, Mary Poppins was a part of my childhood. Always loved her danicing and singing Sister Suffragete :(

• Like 2

I guess she was the last surviving castmember of The Court Jester, right?

Suffragette Shitty.

A mere 46 years after Matthew Garber. Has any other actor outlived their screen child by a longer stretch? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'll tell you what it's taking a suprisingly long time for UK news to pick up on it, apart from the Washington Post the only places reporting it are local US branches of Fox, ABC etc..

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

A mere 46 years after Matthew Garber. Has any other actor outlived their screen child by a longer stretch? 

She's outlived all 4 of her ex-husbands and her only child in real life.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I'll tell you what it's taking a suprisingly long time for UK news to pick up on it, apart from the Washington Post the only places reporting it are local US branches of Fox, ABC etc..

It sounds like the publicist phoned that one journalist personally and nobody else so other than that channel’s sister stations  everyone else is picking it up slowly when they notice it rather than it being on a news wire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done, Sister Suffragette! RIP to a real talent. Regretful she wasn’t made a Dame. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Thatcher said:

Well done, Sister Suffragette! RIP to a real talent. Regretful she wasn’t made a Dame. 

I wonder if her family did formally nominate her last year  (All honours are formally nominated for - either by an individual or an organisation (Famous people often in the later category.) 

• Like 1

Sky News have given her a breaking news push notification. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/celebrities/25253213/glynis-johns-dead-tony-winner-oscar-nominee-mary-poppins/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/ap-stephen-sondheim-mary-poppins-new-york-tony-award-b2473484.html

Now being reported by The Sun and The Independent. 

Congratulations to the commitee, even in France people see who is the mother in Mary Poppins so she had her place in the deathlist

42 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Not off the top of my head, but Craig T.  Nelson and JoBeth Williams only have a few years to go before surpassing that with Dominique Dunne and then a few more years after that before they do a double with Heather O'Rourke. 

Johns played Diane Chambers mother in an episode of Cheers so that's two cheers characters who have lost an on-screen parent in just over a month.

Such sad news…she was a legend of Cinema  !

27 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

At least she was rightfully put on the DL just in time though.

Brilliant actress though absolutely should have been a Dame.

• Like 1

She looked good when interviewed for her birthday.Im glad she was still good for her age until at least near the end.

• Like 4

Jimmy back to being the oldest on the list.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, markb4 said:

She's outlived all 4 of her ex-husbands and her only child in real life.

Yes it said that her son who died long time ago married French national and her British-French grandson lives in Paris and makes career in cinema too !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

Not off the top of my head, but Craig T.  Nelson and JoBeth Williams only have a few years to go before surpassing that with Dominique Dunne and then a few more years after that before they do a double with Heather O'Rourke. 

Johns played Diane Chambers mother in an episode of Cheers so that's two cheers characters who have lost an on-screen parent in just over a month.

Helen Worth from Coronation Street has survived one of the babies, Leah King,  who played her on screen daughter Sarah and who died from Cot Death 36 years ago. Helen Worth could well live another decade or more to reach and surpass 46 years. 

RIP. Iconic actress.

Took her off my shadow list for Eva Marie Saint this year.

4 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

RIP. Iconic actress.

Took her off my shadow list for Eva Marie Saint this year.

I went with both.

3 hours ago, DoorSlammer said:

Shortest debut on the DL since Gerry Rafferty in 2011, who also died on 4 January.

Has any DL candidate ever had a shorter debut? Doesn't look like it.

• Like 1