Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

2 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Ryan O’Neal is not one to overlook. He may well do a Jimmy Caan on us in 2023; O’Neal has had his fair share of health troubles.

Here's the thing about Ryan O'Neal. There are a lot of people who hate him because of some celebrity/family drama. The second thing to notice is that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2012. However, due to that celebrity drama, O'Neal has been hidden from the spotlight and has become a recluse. We actually don't know if Ryan is in remission, if he's cancer free, or if his condition has gotten worse. So we don't really know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, When The said:

Here's the thing about Ryan O'Neal. There are a lot of people who hate him because of some celebrity/family drama. The second thing to notice is that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2012. However, due to that celebrity drama, O'Neal has been hidden from the spotlight and has become a recluse. We actually don't know if Ryan is in remission, if he's cancer free, or if his condition has gotten worse. So we don't really know.

He was diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer in 2012, that doesn't simply go away.

There has been frequent updates on his health on here, as well as pictures. He doesn't look good.

• Like 1

A lot of Hitchcock blondes must be on their way to making their DL debuts: especially Eva Marie Saint, but also Vera Miles, Kim Novak, Tippi Hedren and Julie Andrews (she was a blonde in Torn Curtain). 

The last two not so urgent, but the first two must be getting near close consideration. 

97-year-old Brigitte Auber from To Catch a Thief is also still with us, but unfortunately would not pass the famousness test. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Daredevil said:

A lot of Hitchcock blondes must be on their way to making their DL debuts: especially Eva Marie Saint, but also Vera Miles, Kim Novak, Tippi Hedren and Julie Andrews (she was a blonde in Torn Curtain). 

The last two not so urgent, but the first two must be getting near close consideration. 

97-year-old Brigitte Auber from To Catch a Thief is also still with us, but unfortunately would not pass the famousness test. 

Not a blonde, but Jean Marsh is in Frenzy, too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, msc said:

Not a blonde, but Jean Marsh is in Frenzy, too.

And Barbara Leigh-Hunt is a blonde who was in Frenzy. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

And Barbara Leigh-Hunt is a blonde who was in Frenzy. 

Indeed, though I was thinking of ailing Hitchcock actresses.

• Like 1

Ronnie Milsap, a pick of mine in Twisted DL, has just canceled a number of concerts due to a “health” issue.

• Like 1

At this point in time, Rolf Harris should definitely be in place for no. 1 of the 2023 DL. Yet, it is highly unlikely he will make it to the 2023 starting line, so Leslie Phillips should be standing by as the second preference. With the strong possibility of neither of them making 2023, Jimmy Carter or Bob Barker should then be ready to take poll position. Barker and Carter are both likely to go before Kissinger. I do see Carter going at 98, for some reason.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

At this point in time, Rolf Harris should definitely be in place for no. 1 of the 2023 DL. Yet, it is highly unlikely he will make it to the 2023 starting line, so Leslie Phillips should be standing by as the second preference. With the strong possibility of neither of them making 2023, Jimmy Carter or Bob Barker should then be ready to take poll position. Barker and Carter are both likely to go before Kissinger. I do see Carter going at 98, for some reason.

My guess. Kissinger,  Pele or Jimmy Carter. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

At this point in time, Rolf Harris should definitely be in place for no. 1 of the 2023 DL.

I think Harris would be more a "No. 50 candidate"...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, msc said:

My guess. Kissinger,  Pele or Jimmy Carter. 

Yes, Kissinger is my guess for the no. 1 spot on the 2023 DL, though as I was saying, probably not the most deserving of it, compared to Phillips, Carter and Barker.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Daredevil said:

Yes, Kissinger is my guess for the no. 1 spot on the 2023 DL, though as I was saying, probably not the most deserving of it, compared to Phillips, Carter and Barker.

completely agree. Carter should be nº1. Maybe Phillips too.

• Like 2

Tippi Fuck**g Hedren ! 93 next year, a true legend, one of the last of her generation, she's clearly famous enough. But I feel like she falls in the Eva Marie Saint's category of actresses who won't ever be on the list despite being famous and old enough (Glynis Johns and Lollobrigida are other ones) 

• Like 2

No health issues with Tippi, so unless she get eaten by one of her tigers it's too soon to list her.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Szabaka said:

No health issues with Tippi, so unless she get eaten by one of her tigers it's too soon to list her.

She might suffer some ironic avian catastrophe.

• Like 4

Kissinger just wrote a huge book and I suspect most of the book was really written by him.   I'd say wait until some obvious health issue shows, too early for now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Szabaka said:

no health issues but 93. we've seen plenty of nonagenarians without any illness on the list before, some of whom were hits (As recently as this year QEII, Godard, Estelle Harris, Sidney Poitier…)

• Like 2

while I agree with that generally, we want a high score on the primary list (one reason I support having secondary lists .. i.e. those that don't make the top 50, with age ranges -- e.g.  90-95, 95-99, >100)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

no health issues but 93. we've seen plenty of nonagenarians without any illness on the list before, some of whom were hits (As recently as this year QEII, Godard, Estelle Harris, Sidney Poitier…)

That's true and it's also why I'm not opposed to the idea of keeping picks like DVD and Attenborough even though they currently appear to be in fantastic health.

But in Tippi Hedren's case I think her "problem" is she's the same age or one year older/younger as several other actors who are arguably more famous than her like Patricia Routledge, Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, William Shatner, Robert Duvall and probably some UK TV actors too... So if the Cmme wants to pick a new old actor who's only picked for their age I think one of the latter is more likely to appear.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Szabaka said:

while I agree with that generally, we want a high score on the primary list (one reason I support having secondary lists .. i.e. those that don't make the top 50, with age ranges -- e.g.  90-95, 95-99, >100)

then take down Belafonte, Brooks, Van Dyke, Greenspan, Attenborough, Desmond Morris, LePen, Sandy Gall, Cleo Laine, Baxter, Chomsky, Tebbit, Kundera, Ackland, Treacher and Bucharach. None of them have real health issues and are on the list just because they're old. If Van Dyck has managed to be at n°1 this year and if Olivia de Havilland or Vera Lynn were able to be locked on the list from 89 to 103/4 yo, then maybe the committee don't care that much about illness. And in that case, I think Tippi Hedren should be on next year (dare I say she should be on it till she dies ?)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DoorSlammer said:

That's true and it's also why I'm not opposed to the idea of keeping picks like DVD and Attenborough even though they currently appear to be in fantastic health.

But in Tippi Hedren's case I think her "problem" is she's the same age or one year older/younger as several other actors who are arguably more famous than her like Patricia Routledge, Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, William Shatner, Robert Duvall and probably some UK TV actors too... So if the Cmme wants to pick a new old actor who's only picked for their age I think one of the latter is more likely to appear.

sorry to contradict but Patricia Routledge ?? maybe famous in the UK but she's basically a no-one outside of it. The eternal debate on the committee's UK centric choices. Anyway Eastwood, Hackman, Shatner and Duvall all seem valid picks but Hedren is out there with them at their level. Eva Marie Saint is even less famous than Hedren imho.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

I'm really excited to see which women make the next list. 5 female candidates have already died this year, 3 of them were selected for the fourth time, one for the third time, so important and long-standing picks are gone. What good female candidates could they "replace" (in terms of notoriety and A-level celebrity/personality, but also cool factor and style)? Yes, apparently Tippi Hedren ;), but who else?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Book said:

I'm really excited to see which women make the next list. 5 female candidates have already died this year, 3 of them were selected for the fourth time, one for the third time, so important and long-standing picks are gone. What good female candidates could they "replace" (in terms of notoriety and A-level celebrity/personality, but also cool factor and style)? Yes, apparently Tippi Hedren ;), but who else?

Eileen Derbyshire, Phyllida Law, Petula Clark, Claire Bloom, Eva-Marie Saint or June Lockhart ?!

• Like 5