Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

26 minutes ago, Toast said:

It's all that exercise from getting on his bike.

Was talking about Jerry Lee Lewis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lilham said:

For some reason I don't think Willie Nelson? A lot of people I know saw him in concert recently, and he also was on the campaign trail in Texas this week.
I know he has severe health issues though. He could be one of those workin'-till-you-drop types.

Can see him lasting another 2-3 years 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grimgrass said:

As healthy as the likes of Van Dyke, Brooks and Attenborough are, I really doubt any of them are going to be dropped next year, as 96+ names rarely get dropped. I believe the last time was in 2013, when Herman Wouk was dropped. 

Glancing the list, there aren't actually too many names that seem like easy drops for next year. Crosby, Gambon and Berlusconi are probably certs to be dropped. Cheney seems like another one that would be an easy drop, but I can easily see them keeping him on next year anyway.

Ackland,  Morris , Hurd and MacGowan I can all see getting dropped.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

I passed his house walking about Bury St. Edmunds a few months ago. He did seem to have some care equipment inside one of the rooms, but I didn't get a good look. 

That level of investigation is a touch creepy 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

That level of investigation is a touch creepy. 

It was on my route. I didn't drop by with the intention to find out if he was a good bet, it just caught my eye as I was walking down the street. 

• Like 2

I think Jerry Lee Lewis is one of those, "oh he isn't dead already?" types, so I would definitely count him out soon.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

At this point, the safest drops for 2023 should be

Dick Van Dyke

Alan Greenspan 

Dick Cheney

Mel Brooks

Sir Bobby Charlton 

David Attenborough 

Desmond Morris

James Whale

Jerry Lee Lewis

Denis Law

Noam Chomsky 

David Crosby

Michael Gambon

Silvio Berlusconi 

Linda Ronstadt 

Shane MacGowan 

I don’t think anyone could argue with any of those

Agree completely, expect for Chomsky. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Ackland,  Morris , Hurd and MacGowan I can all see getting dropped.

Agreed on the first three. Ackland seems like one of the more likely drops. He retired from acting several years ago, but at the same time he doesn't have any known illnesses and he is ranked fairly low on this years list. He is by no means a bad pick, though.

Morris is 50/50, can see him staying, can see him being dropped. Still relatively active though, which suggests he is one of the weaker picks this year, and I would personally drop him (watch the oldest debutant curse strike again now...).

I reckon either Tebbit or Hurd (probably Hurd) will get booted from this list if it finishes low, though both would be very risky drops.

I'm not sure on MacGowan though, it feels like they've setting him up to be another bedblocker. Past self-destructive/alcoholic picks have usually been on once or twice and then dropped entirely, but MacGowan has stayed on year after year.

• Like 1

I used to suggest these things go into a different thread so as to not clog up the I&P thread, but I can see that's a losing battle.

Oh well, then:

DROP - Kundera, Berlusconi, Gambon, Crosby, Chomsky, Denis Law, Cleo Laine, Akihito, Dick Cheney, Ackland, Whale, Desmond Morris, Charlton, MacGowan, Gall, Baxter (the last 4 the most likely to be kept if others die)

KEEP - Van Dyke, Kissinger, Lansbury, Barker, Greenspan, Starmer-Smith, Jimmy and Ros, Bennett, Belafonte, Brooks, Attenborough, Philips, Kaczyinski, le Pen, Jerry Lee Lewis, Delors, Scales, Bacharach, Treacher, Tebbit, Pele, Hurd, Faithfull, Ronstadt

RETURNEES - Woodward, Nolan, Benedict, Willie Nelson, Lawson, Liza Minelli,

NEWCOMERS WHO FEEL DEATHLISTY - Alagiah, Field, Duke of Kent, June Spencer, Glynis Johns, Eva Marie Saint, David Graham, Patricia Routledge, Joan Plowright, Buzz Aldrin, James Earl Jones, Fay Weldon, Duchess of Kent, Tom Baker, Topol, John Cannan, Pope Francis, Grace Slick, Rolf Harris

• Like 6

Well, here's my personal opinions

Drop (16 I consider less likely to die than the 25 others, 1 the one out of these the most likely to die, 16 the least in my personal opinion)

1. Stanley Baxter (97 next year but I haven't heard anything on his health yet)

2. Noam Chomsky (94 in December but no concrete evidence he's in ill health. Simply sounds and looks absolutely horrible and ancient)

3. Ted Kaczynski (I still don't completely believe him)

4. Denis Law (Mixed dementia and quite a 50/50, could be the wrong time to drop him but there are better picks)

5. Emperor Akihito (Past health issues and heart failure diagnosis this year but I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon)

6. Dick Van Dyke (One of the healthiest 97-year-olds living, there are better picks)

7. Cleo Laine (Soon 95, but nobody has said anything about her health)

8. Desmond Morris (Forum users say he sounds fine, no known health issues. And looks good for his age in that video from May.)

9. Sandy Gall (See Morris. Seemingly a very healthy nonagenarian.)

10. David Crosby (health history and massive drug user, but if JLL is still alive Crosby probably has a few years in him. Seems to also have exaggerated his health a bit)

11. Jean-Marie Le Pen (Old asshole who survived a stroke this year, but in too good health otherwise)

12. Dick Cheney (Long long health history but now seems annoyingly healthy)

13. Linda Ronstadt (Ill but seemingly not as ill as previously thought and still physically doing quite well)

14. Shane MacGowan (You can't compare him to anyone, such an unique health history but just seems boringly stable)

15. Michael Gambon (Rumored dementia, but no concrete evidence of anything atleast yet)

16. Silvio Berlusconi (Not ill, seems like a wasted spot IMHO)

Return (8):

1. Linda Nolan: Terminal cancer and multiple cancelled gigs in recent months.

2. Benedict XVI: Massive health history and incredibly frail.

3. Pervez Musharraf: Reported in June to have terminal cardiac amyloidosis when he was gravely ill and on ventilator, wheelchairbound early this year. Seems to have stabilized somewhat (he's still alive) but needs an experimental drug to live. I would like to see him on the list of he makes it to 2023.

4. Joanne Woodward: Confirmed to have end-stage dementia, 92 years old now.

5. Liza Minnelli: Very damn frail with a health history.

6. Willie Nelson: Might look great currently, but has a long health history, emphysema etc and had a rough covid. And will be 90 next year. 

7. Ali Khamenei: Very debatable one but now 83, recent surgery, rumored cancer and now a risk of getting killed too!

8. Vanessa Redgrave: Emphysema and other problems. 

Some new possibilities

1. Rolf Harris: Won't survive, but if he does, should be put on the list.

2. Mahathir Mohamad: 98 next year, Asian political giant with serious heart problems.

3. George Alagiah: Cancer sufferer now with a tumor on his spine.

4. Sidney Cooke: 95-year-old  has been in frail health for ages

5. Manmohan Singh: Former Prime Minister of India. Suffers from serious heart problems and diabetes, I recall he was given ten years to live around 2010. Last year he was on his last legs with covid and dengue.

6. Constantine II: Greek King, tons of health problems over the years including strokes, heart attacks, pulmonary edema etc. Too ill to attend Queen Elizabeth II's funeral.

7. David Graham: Doctor Who legend. Severe stroke in 2021 and unable to leave his home. 

8. Giorgio Napolitano: Former Italian President, ancient and was in ICU following a surgery this year.

9. Winnie Ewing: Dementia, other health problems for years. People seem very suprised she's still alive.

10. Sonny Rollins: Jazz legend, 92 and has outlived the odds with pulmonary fibrosis.

11. Glynis Johns: Very quiet in recent years and has been in a nursing home for a longer time.

12. Topol: Advanced alzheimer's.

13. June Spencer: 103.

14. David Ogilvy Earl of Airlie: Frail and would be an interesting addition to the list. 

15. Katharine Jackson: Suprised she's still alive.

16. Frank Field: Cancer, was reported to be in hospice...last year.

17. Jiang Zemin: Arguable again but I bet on the toad having the ability to die.

• Like 12

Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but isn't Katherine Jackson quite fringey name? I've seen her being suggested to the list quite often, how does she differ from the likes of Bill Gates Sr and Roberta McCain?

• Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 16:47, maryportfuncity said:

Neurologist Henry Marsh is officially in remission from his prostate cancer but according to yesterday's Guardian and a piece he wrote he has a 30% chance of being alive in five years.

Obitable for sure

Now he has a biography out - says it's unlikely he sees his 80th birthday, which is still 8 years away though:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/oct/05/the-more-dangerous-the-operation-the-more-i-wanted-to-do-it-neurosurgeon-henry-marsh-on-mistakes-and-mortality

• Like 2

Harris should be number 1 next year if he makes it.

• Like 5

On 07/10/2022 at 22:56, arghton said:

Suprised how Mahathir isn't mentioned more frequently in this thread. Massive Asian controversial political figure and will definitely obit, and the obits will be interesting to read. 98 next July, long history of heart problems starting from the 1980s and survived a heart operation he was not expected to survive in January

Only just saw this, he is my next fill-in sub didn't think people were seeing him. 

• Like 1

Here are my suggestions for which 16 to drop for 2023

1. Dick Cheney

2. Mel Brooks

3. Nigel Starmer-Smith

4. Bobby Charlton

5. Emperor Akihito

6. Ted Kaczynski

7. James Whale

8. Denis Law

9. Prunella Scales

10. David Crosby

11. Silvio Berlusconi

12. Linda Ronstadt

13. Joss Ackland

14. Shane McGowan

15. Michael Gambon

16. Jean Marie Le Pen

The bottom two would be the first to be reinstated if there are any more hits and then probably Nigel Starmer-Smith

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Here are my suggestions for which 16 to drop for 2023

1. Dick Cheney

2. Mel Brooks

3. Nigel Starmer-Smith

4. Bobby Charlton

5. Emperor Akihito

6. Ted Kaczynski

7. James Whale

8. Denis Law

9. Prunella Scales

10. David Crosby

11. Silvio Berlusconi

12. Linda Ronstadt

13. Joss Ackland

14. Shane McGowan

15. Michael Gambon

16. Jean Marie Le Pen

The bottom two would be the first to be reinstated if there are any more hits and then probably Nigel Starmer-Smith

Three of the sickest people on the list! Never change, Biblio! :D

• Like 2

I was about to....

However, I do think that this year's list, and I think I said that at the start already, was okay-ish. Lots of people on the list are okay-ish. Not a lot of terminally ill people, but also not easy to drop.

If I had to choose, I'd probably drop Dick Van Dyke, Harry Belafonte and David Attenborough instead - even though they are totally A-List. Sandy Gall wrote a book this year.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, msc said:

Three of the sickest people on the list! Never change, Biblio! :D

I think Starmer-Smith and Kaczynski are punt names that are played for a season and then dropped if they don't deliver

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

9. Prunella Scales

Scales is someone that will be on the list to she dies. She shouldn't have been put on there to begin with 5 or so years ago but at this point it's probably too big of a risk to remove her, and if they did it would be a massive miss.

• Like 6

Maybe wishful thinking, but Paul Gadd maybe? 79 next year, history of heart problems, the stress and depression from being globally hated for the past several years may have taken quite a few years off of his life.

On 11/10/2022 at 08:26, Captain Hemlock said:

Edward Furlong is looking rough for 45. He might be “terminated” pretty soon.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/10/terminator-star-edward-furlong-spotted-in-nyc-in-rare-sighting/amp/

If he's now sober though, as the article says, he could live for another 20-30 years easily. He could easily relapse though, but it's unpredictable. So a bit like Gazza, who's been on the list before...

On 08/10/2022 at 23:57, The Daredevil said:
On 05/10/2022 at 01:42, The Daredevil said:
On 01/10/2022 at 11:28, The Daredevil said:

Thoughts of what the 2023 DeathList will look like at this rate

Carry overs

Dick Van Dyke

Henry Kissinger

Angela Lansbury Noam Chomsky 

Bob Barker

Alan Greenspan

Nigel Starmer-Smith

Loretta Lynn  Burt Bacharach 

Jimmy Carter

Tony Bennett 

Harry Belafonte 

Mel Brooks

David Attenborough 

Emperor Akihito 

Leslie Phillips

Rosalynn Carter

Sandy Gall

Ted Kaczynski 

Jean-Marie Le Pen

Cleo Laine

Jacques Delors

Prunella Scales

Stanley Baxter

Pelé

Joss Ackland

Shane MacGowan 

Returnees

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Pope Benedict 

Barbara Walters

Joanne Woodward 

Bob Newhart

General Pervez Musharraf

Yoko Ono

Willie Nelson

Vanessa Redgrave

Liza Minnelli 

New additions

Giorgio Napolitano 

John Farnham

Glynis Johns

James Watson

Jiang Zemin

Frank Field

Gina Lollobrigida 

June Spencer

Joan Plowright 

George Soros

Gene Hackman

James Earl Jones

Buzz Aldrin

Jack Nicholson 

Peter Tobin Rolf Harris 

Lynn’s untimely demise leaves her carry over spot vacant for Burt Bacharach on the 2023 DL.

Replacing the late Tobin with Rolf Harris (bound to be a candidate and a hit if he makes the 2023 starting line). 

Angela’s sad demise leaves her position open for Noam Chomsky to return on the 2023 DL.

• Like 2

Considering three people who were on my original hypothetical list have already died, here's Hypothetical DeathList 2023 v2:

1. Rolf Harris (93- Four Little Girls; NEW)

2. June Spencer (104- Peggy Woolley; NEW)

3. Henry Kissinger (100- Diplomat; 2)

4. Glynis Johns (100- Actress; NEW)

5. Bob Barker (100- The Price is Right; 4)

6. Jimmy Carter (99- Ex US President; 9)

7. Leslie Phillips (99 - Comedy Actor; 19)

8. Nigel Starmer-Smith (79- Rugby Commentator; 6)

9. Eva Marie Saint (99- Actress; NEW)

10. Alan Greenspan (97- Economist; 5)

11. Tony Bennett (97- Crooner; 10)

12. Harry Belafonte (96- Singer; 13)

13. Dick Van Dyke (98- Actor; 1)

14. Mel Brooks (97- Comedian / Director; 14)

15. Joanne Woodward (93- Actress; -)

16. Pope Benedict XVI (96- Former Pope; -)

17. Rob Burrow (41- Rugby player; NEW)

18. Stanley Baxter (97- Comedian; 35)

19. David Graham (98- Voice Actor; NEW)

20. Jacques Delors (98- French Politician; 30)

21. Rosalynn Carter (96- Ex-FLOTUS; 20)

22. George Alagiah (68- Newscaster; NEW)

23. David Attenborough (97- Broadcaster and Natural Historian; 17)

24. Gudrun Ure (97- Super Gran; NEW)

25. Barbara Walters (94- Broadcast Journalist; -)

26. Noam Chomsky (95- Intellectual; 37)

27. Sandy Gall (96- TV news reporter; 21)

28. Burt Bacharach (95- Singer songwriter; 34)

29. James Watson (95- Casually racist geneticist; NEW)

30. Cleo Laine (96- Jazz Singer; 27)

31. Pele (83- Footballer; 41)

32. James Whale (72- Broadcaster; 26)

33. Bobby Charlton (86- Footballer; 16)

34. Tom Lehrer (95- Comedic Singer; NEW)

35. Jerry Lee Lewis (88- Rocker; 29)

36. Winnie Ewing (94- Scottish Politician; NEW)

37. James Earl Jones (92- Vader's Voice; NEW)

38. Bob Newhart (94- Comedian; -)

39. Shannen Doherty (52- 90210 Actor; -)

40. Milan Kundera (94- Author; 46)

41. Linda Nolan (64- Nolan Sister; -)

42. Norman Tebbit (92- Politician; 39)

43. Thelma Barlow (94- Corrie's Mavis Wilton; NEW)

44. Ted Kaczynski (81- Unabomber; 23)

45. Ted Turner (85- CNN Founder/Captain Planet; NEW)

46. Buzz Aldrin (93- Moonwalker; NEW)

47. Nigel Lawson (91- UK Politician; -)

48. Rex Williams (90- Snooker player; -)

49. Yoko Ono (90- Mrs Lennon; -)

50. Vladimir Putin (71- Khuylo; NEW)

If 2022 holdover dies- Jean-Marie Le Pen joins

If potential debuter dies- either Constantine II of Greece, Doddie Weir, or William Russell joins

• Like 5

Ryan O’Neal is not one to overlook. He may well do a Jimmy Caan on us in 2023; O’Neal has had his fair share of health troubles.

• Like 2