Ideas and possibilities for 2023

54 minutes ago, Sean said:

My top 50 suggestions for new names for DL next year:

1)June Spencer

2)Benjamin Ferencz

4)Bill Butler

5)Ray Anthony

6)Norman Lear

It seems to me that the committee are hesitant to add new names of people who are 100+, the only ones I can think of recently are Captain Tom and Shultz last year, they seem to prefer sticking to names from previous years lists until they die, such as Prince Philip, Kirk D, The Queen Mother & Vera Lynn. I think that these are good choices but I don't doubt that most of the new 'elderly' selections chosen next year will be 75-99. However I may just be spotting something that isn't there with this 'trend'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart Beck said:

Hard disagree here, apart from being old there is nothing seemingly wrong with him, and from what I have seen of him recently he looks and sounds about 10-15 years younger than he is. Of course being that age it wouldn't be surprising if he did die but there are definitely people in worse off conditions.

True.I put him down purely for age.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stuart Beck said:

It seems to me that the committee are hesitant to add new names of people who are 100+, the only ones I can think of recently are Captain Tom and Shultz last year, they seem to prefer sticking to names from previous years lists until they die, such as Prince Philip, Kirk D, The Queen Mother & Vera Lynn. I think that these are good choices but I don't doubt that most of the new 'elderly' selections chosen next year will be 75-99. However I may just be spotting something that isn't there with this 'trend'.

It does but Luise Eainer debuted back in 2014 days before turning 104.Spencer , Ferencz , Butler, Antony and Lear are all deathlisty names in my opinion based on previous inclusion criteria.All are guaranteed widespread UK media coverage when they die especially Ferencz and Spencer who I could see making news bulletins.Duffy I mused about as his parliamentary career was not overly notable however that combined with his role in NATO I would say pushes him over the notability criteria.

• Like 3

At this point, the safest drops for 2023 should be

Dick Van Dyke

Alan Greenspan 

Dick Cheney

Mel Brooks

Sir Bobby Charlton 

David Attenborough 

Desmond Morris

James Whale

Jerry Lee Lewis

Denis Law

Noam Chomsky 

David Crosby

Michael Gambon

Silvio Berlusconi 

Linda Ronstadt 

Shane MacGowan 

I don’t think anyone could argue with any of those

• Like 3

I get why Dick Van Dyke shouldn’t be near the top but I’m against dropping him entirely, we have seen time and time again very healthy 90 year olds having a sudden down turn before reaching 100, and Van Dyke is already 97…

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Dick Van Dyke

Alan Greenspan 

Dick Cheney

Mel Brooks

Sir Bobby Charlton 

David Attenborough 

Desmond Morris

James Whale

Jerry Lee Lewis

Denis Law

Noam Chomsky 

David Crosby

Michael Gambon

Silvio Berlusconi 

Linda Ronstadt 

Shane MacGowan 

I'd say keep Sir Bobby Charlton, Mel Brooks and Dick Van Dyke, maybe keep Jerry Lee Lewis too. The rest can be dropped.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

I'd say keep Sir Bobby Charlton, Mel Brooks and Dick Van Dyke, maybe keep Jerry Lee Lewis too. The rest can be dropped.

That may be ideal but 16 still need to be dropped at this rate. Which other four would you suggest be dropped instead?

• Like 1

On 05/10/2022 at 01:42, The Daredevil said:
On 01/10/2022 at 11:28, The Daredevil said:

Thoughts of what the 2023 DeathList will look like at this rate

Carry overs

Dick Van Dyke

Henry Kissinger

Angela Lansbury 

Bob Barker

Alan Greenspan

Nigel Starmer-Smith

Loretta Lynn  Burt Bacharach 

Jimmy Carter

Tony Bennett 

Harry Belafonte 

Mel Brooks

David Attenborough 

Emperor Akihito 

Leslie Phillips

Rosalynn Carter

Sandy Gall

Ted Kaczynski 

Jean-Marie Le Pen

Cleo Laine

Jacques Delors

Prunella Scales

Stanley Baxter

Pelé

Joss Ackland

Shane MacGowan 

Returnees

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Pope Benedict 

Barbara Walters

Joanne Woodward 

Bob Newhart

General Pervez Musharraf

Yoko Ono

Willie Nelson

Vanessa Redgrave

Liza Minnelli 

New additions

Giorgio Napolitano 

John Farnham

Glynis Johns

James Watson

Jiang Zemin

Frank Field

Gina Lollobrigida 

June Spencer

Joan Plowright 

George Soros

Gene Hackman

James Earl Jones

Buzz Aldrin

Jack Nicholson 

Peter Tobin Rolf Harris 

Lynn’s untimely demise leaves her carry over spot vacant for Burt Bacharach on the 2023 DL.

Replacing the late Tobin with Rolf Harris (bound to be a candidate and a hit if he makes the 2023 starting line). 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I get why Dick Van Dyke shouldn’t be near the top but I’m against dropping him entirely, we have seen time and time again very healthy 90 year olds having a sudden down turn before reaching 100, and Van Dyke is already 97…

Yes, there was Charles Aznavour who was still touring at 94.  He had a fall and broke his arm, but his death a few months later was unexpected.

• Like 3

Vanessa Redgrave and Willie Nelson really have to return next year. Both emphysema sufferers for years and then they were both taken down by COVID this year. 2023 could be another rough year for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Daredevil said:

That may be ideal but 16 still need to be dropped at this rate. Which other four would you suggest be dropped instead?

Norman Tebbit and Burt Bacharach are two that come to mind, both appear to be doing well enough despite advanced age. Sir Bobby Charlton and Dick Van Dyke should be kept over these two in my opinion. Now this will be controversial but I think Rosalynn Carter can get the drop as well, from the latest photos of her I think she will stick around for a few more years.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Norman Tebbit and Burt Bacharach are two that come to mind, both appear to be doing well enough despite advanced age. Sir Bobby Charlton and Dick Van Dyke should be kept over these two in my opinion. Now this will be controversial but I think Rosalynn Carter can get the drop as well, from the latest photos of her I think she will stick around for a few more years.

In this article from March, Tebbit admits his health has been getting a good deal worse recently.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/14/proud-time-parliament-now-time-retire/

One year ago, I would have agreed on Bacharach but he is looking rather frail these days, will be 95 next May and is much less active than Van Dyke. 

Also, what are the chances Rosalynn will die soon after Jimmy? I would have thought extremely high and I’ll be staggered if Jimmy is still around one year from now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Yes, there was Charles Aznavour who was still touring at 94.  He had a fall and broke his arm, but his death a few months later was unexpected.

Aznavour was even more of a WTF death as iirc he was on TV looking hearty for his age *hours* before he died. 

As for the above (not you Toast), Bacharach has been lingering frail for years, actual DLers have seen Tebbit and confirmed he's fading, they would be utterly ridiculous drops.

• Like 2

As healthy as the likes of Van Dyke, Brooks and Attenborough are, I really doubt any of them are going to be dropped next year, as 96+ names rarely get dropped. I believe the last time was in 2013, when Herman Wouk was dropped. 

Glancing the list, there aren't actually too many names that seem like easy drops for next year. Crosby, Gambon and Berlusconi are probably certs to be dropped. Cheney seems like another one that would be an easy drop, but I can easily see them keeping him on next year anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Daredevil said:

Jerry Lee Lewis

From the list I disagree with this one, he's very frail and 87. And with his lifestyle, hard drug addiction he should've died 30 years ago. We don't know all about his health but he had a severe stroke in Feb 2019 and has suffered from complications since, which resulted in that multiple month period of no appearances in late 2021. I think his health much more "unstable" than people think and I think he'll die one day soon. Could make it to 88, but will NOT make it to 90.

• Like 2

Here's the half I'd say are most likely to stay on the list:

Age (96+ in 2023):

1. Dick Van Dyke (98 in December)

2. Henry Kissinger (100 in May)

3. Angela Lansbury (98 in October)

4. Bob Barker (100 in December)

5. Alan Greenspan (97 in March)

6. Jimmy Carter (99 in October)

7. Tony Bennett (97 in August)

8. Harry Belafonte (96 in March)

9. Mel Brooks (97 in June)

10. David Attenborough (97 in April)

11. Leslie Phillips (99 in April)

12. Rosalynn Carter (96 in August)

13. Sandy Gall (96 in October)

14. Cleo Laine (96 in October)

15. Jacques Delors (98 in July)

16. Stanley Baxter (97 in May)

Terminal Disease

17. Nigel Starmer-Smith (Alzheimer's)

18. Ted Kaczynski (Unspecified cancer)

19. James Whale (Stage 4 kidney cancer)

20. Pele (Colon cancer)

21. Milan Kundera (Reported heart failure)

Frail and/or Nonagenarian Fodder

22. Jerry Lee Lewis

23. Burt Bacharach

24. Noam Chomsky

25. Norman Tebbit

• Like 4

Bobby Charlton wouldn’t be a wise drop. It was revealed he had dementia in 2020 and he was probably suffering for a while before it was made public. 

He wasn’t well enough to attend his brothers funeral in July 2020. Unless he had to miss it due to COVID at the time. Nevertheless I don’t think he should be dropped. Denis Law however is still clearly in the earlier stages. 

Van Dyke and Attenborough will probably stay on until they die. Even the healthiest 95+ year olds can suddenly drop dead. Another one that was seemingly in good health and died suddenly was Carl Reiner who was actively tweeting and doing interviews months before he died. 

I’d personally like to see Fay Weldon on the list next year. Sandra Day O’Connor can’t be overlooked either, her dementia must be very advanced now. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, msc said:

Aznavour was even more of a WTF death as iirc he was on TV looking hearty for his age *hours* before he died. 

As for the above (not you Toast), Bacharach has been lingering frail for years, actual DLers have seen Tebbit and confirmed he's fading, they would be utterly ridiculous drops.

I understand from someone who knows Tebbit, that he has live in carers. Apparently they looked after his wife for years due to her bomb injuries now look after him. He's not in a home but has a live-in medical team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arghton said:

From the list I disagree with this one, he's very frail and 87. And with his lifestyle, hard drug addiction he should've died 30 years ago. We don't know all about his health but he had a severe stroke in Feb 2019 and has suffered from complications since, which resulted in that multiple month period of no appearances in late 2021. I think his health much more "unstable" than people think and I think he'll die one day soon. Could make it to 88, but will NOT make it to 90.

It's absolutely miraculous that he's made such old bones and survived pretty much all his contemporaries. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

I understand from someone who knows Tebbit, that he has live in carers. Apparently they looked after his wife for years due to her bomb injuries now look after him. He's not in a home but has a live-in medical team. 

I passed his house walking about Bury St. Edmunds a few months ago. He did seem to have some care equipment inside one of the rooms, but I didn't get a good look. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

It's absolutely miraculous that he's made such old bones and survived pretty much all his contemporaries. 

It's all that exercise from getting on his bike.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Dick Van Dyke

Alan Greenspan 

Dick Cheney

Mel Brooks

Sir Bobby Charlton 

David Attenborough 

Desmond Morris

James Whale

Jerry Lee Lewis

Denis Law

Noam Chomsky 

David Crosby

Michael Gambon

Silvio Berlusconi 

Linda Ronstadt 

Shane MacGowan 

Van Dyke and Attenborough are very famous and very old, Jerry Lee Lewis looks frail and James Whale feels like his time is coming soon. 

• Like 1

For some reason I don't think Willie Nelson? A lot of people I know saw him in concert recently, and he also was on the campaign trail in Texas this week.
I know he has severe health issues though. He could be one of those workin'-till-you-drop types.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Daredevil said:

Dick Van Dyke

Alan Greenspan 

Dick Cheney

Mel Brooks

Sir Bobby Charlton 

David Attenborough 

Desmond Morris

James Whale

Jerry Lee Lewis

Denis Law

Noam Chomsky 

David Crosby

Michael Gambon

Silvio Berlusconi 

Linda Ronstadt 

Shane MacGowan 

Have to disagree with Van Dyke and Qttenborougg.Too old plus famous to drop.Attenborough also has  a cardiac history and as great shape as Van Dyke is for his age you can see he is losing weight and muscle tone .

Charlton I think is too big a name to miss and didn't even go to Jack's funeral.

Ronstadt has had PSP well over what the life expectancy for the condition is and has now disappeared off the radar.

Whale is terminally ill with multiple secondary cancer in major organs.All it takes is his immunotherapy to stop working and he is dead in weeks.

Jerry Lee Lewis looks extremely frail so would be another very risky drop.

Chomsky looks and sounds very frail so he is another drop that could be risky 

• Like 2