Paul Bearer

Ideas and possibilities for 2023

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

sorry to contradict but Patricia Routledge ?? maybe famous in the UK but she's basically a no-one outside of it. The eternal debate on the committee's UK centric choices. Anyway Eastwood, Hackman, Shatner and Duvall all seem valid picks but Hedren is out there with them at their level. Eva Marie Saint is even less famous than Hedren imho.

I am reliable told multiple times over that Keeping up Appearances was huge on PBS in the 90s/00s. I was legit surprised to hear this every time, but Routledge apparently has some recognisability internationally.

Anyhow, it's a UK based list. We don't all complain the Italian deathlist is full of random Rome based cardinals and Italian comics!

3 minutes ago, Book said:

I'm really excited to see which women make the next list. 5 female candidates have already died this year, 3 of them were selected for the fourth time, one for the third time, so important and long-standing picks are gone. What good female candidates could they "replace" (in terms of notoriety and A-level celebrity/personality, but also cool factor and style)? Yes, apparently Tippi Hedren ;), but who else?

Skipping Routledge who feels due a call up any time, Vera Miles and Joan Plowright are also possible newcomers. Maybe Claire Bloom, Rita Moreno, but it feels a bit early for them.

Younger names who might get the "they're still alive somehow" Ginger Baker bump to the main list are Grace Slick and Julie Goodyear.

Oh and Jane Fonda seems so much like the type of name who gets on the DL, doesn't make the Drop 40, everyone mocks the choice, and then she suddenly snuffs it in November 2023.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Book said:

I'm really excited to see which women make the next list. 5 female candidates have already died this year, 3 of them were selected for the fourth time, one for the third time, so important and long-standing picks are gone. What good female candidates could they "replace" (in terms of notoriety and A-level celebrity/personality, but also cool factor and style)? Yes, apparently Tippi Hedren ;), but who else?

Sandra Day O'Connor, Bernadette Chirac, Maggie Smith, Léontyne Price, Leslie Caron, Françoise Hardy (don't know her level of fame in the UK though…), Iris Apfel, Yayoi Kusama… 

I'd say the most important one is Chirac : don't know how she's still here but 90 next year and in such a bad shape, several rumors circulated lately about her being on her deathbed

• Like 2

while we are at it: Jimmy Carter is still active (as in hammering) building houses - and Roselynn has no health issues that I know of.   Jimmy appears to have fully recovered from his brain and liver and melanoma cancers.  2024 perhaps but not 2023. 

but ... they do a good job of keeping their private lives private so perhaps keeping them is fine

As for Clint Eastwood - while his last film showed major issues and he has been unable to get financial backers for his last attempt, I waffle on him .. but I would put him off for another year

• Like 2

1 minute ago, msc said:

We don't all complain the Italian deathlist

there is an Italian deathlist ?? 

agree with you for Vera Miles also

• Like 1

Super Gran could be worth a shout.

And everyone's favourite living suffragette, Glynis Johns, of course.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

sorry to contradict but Patricia Routledge ?? maybe famous in the UK but she's basically a no-one outside of it.

Maybe, but it's a UK list after all. Although it seems Keeping Up Appearances didn't have much of an audience in France whereas it had one in the Netherlands so maybe we're both biased to a different side of the spectrum.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

there is an Italian deathlist ?? 

Yes, since 2011!

Run by a forum veteran.

• Like 3
  • Shocked 2

1 minute ago, msc said:

Yes, since 2011!

Run by a forum veteran.

damn ! thanks a lot, gonna have a look at this, I'm currently studying in Italy for a year, would be fun to have an Italian list as well !

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, since 2011!

Run by a forum veteran.

And here I am curious who will replace Angela Lansbury in 100th place. After all, she's held that spot 8 years in a row!

• Like 3

Barbara Walters is on the proposed list and I support that.  For someone who was so visible for so long to not have been seen in public (as far as we know) since 2016 says something.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Szabaka said:

As for Clint Eastwood - while his last film showed major issues and he has been unable to get financial backers for his last attempt, I waffle on him .. but I would put him off for another year

Clint Eastwood finding it hard to get funding is less about a physical decline and more that the Mid Budget Tier Adult Drama's are box office poison Post Pandemic,and  the only use for them to streaming services is if they can become Potential Oscar Fodder.He is not really at that Spielberg/Scorcese level where his films are rubberstamped for nominations.

• Like 5

Think Joni Mitchell could be a fair shot for next year. The "Joni Jam" concert from July reminded me of Johnny Cash's last bit (looking fairly frail, pretty weak voice-but that is expected from someone turning 79 this November), with Mitchell still seemingly recovering from the brain aneurysm she suffered back in 2015. However, still mentally "here", so could be a complete miss, but I wouldn't underestimate the possibility of her Urge for Going.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Clint Eastwood finding it hard to get funding is less about a physical decline and more that the Mid Budget Tier Adult Drama's are box office poison Post Pandemic,and  the only use for them to streaming services is if they can become Potential Oscar Fodder.He is not really at that Spielberg/Scorcese level where his films are rubberstamped for nominations.

It's 100% this. He is not as much of a draw as he used to be. 

I'd imagine the majority of studios would prefer if he retired and only did cameos. 

• Like 1

My shortlist for my interesting oldies theme team is way too long, so here's some interesting old names guaranteed to obit when they go. 

Colin Wyatt - The creator of the Poddington Peas will be 84 next year.

Peter Sasdy - born 1935, director of The Stone Tape and countless other Guardian favourites.

Sir William Heseltine - born 1930, former secretary to the Queen.

Sir Frank Bowling - born 1934, acclaimed artist who is now in very frail health.

Barry McGuire - born 1935, singer/songwriter, wrote Eve of Destruction, apparently in poor health these days.

More to follow before Hogmanay. All of them the ideal gift for a DDPer struggling to fill out spaces 18-20 on their teams! 

• Like 2

The problem with adding Hedren is, as the recent "classic actress" poll showed, there are still a fair amount of 1930/1931 born actresses who still seem in solid health, including her. While she's worth the DL, there isn't much out there to suggest any of them over the other (outside of Woodward), so I can understand the reticence to pick just one or two.

Guys like Baxter, Attenborough, Brooks, Belafonte, etc. are at least into their mid-90s by now, and they're men, where you generally don't really expect extreme longevity because Kirk Douglas hogged all of it for himself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

then take down Belafonte, Brooks, Van Dyke, Greenspan, Attenborough, Desmond Morris, LePen, Sandy Gall, Cleo Laine, Baxter, Chomsky, Tebbit, Kundera, Ackland, Treacher and Bucharach. None of them have real health issues and are on the list just because they're old. If Van Dyck has managed to be at n°1 this year and if Olivia de Havilland or Vera Lynn were able to be locked on the list from 89 to 103/4 yo, then maybe the committee don't care that much about illness. And in that case, I think Tippi Hedren should be on next year (dare I say she should be on it till she dies ?)

Treacher has ataxia and is prone to falls . Also his former EastEnders costar Pete Dean let slip on a podcast that he now mainly speaks to Bill's family on the phone to find out how he is rather than Bill himself.

• Like 3

Patrick Leahy might not be a bad shout for next year, retiring from the senate after 47 years and seems to have had a multitude of health problems over the past 12 months. Could replace Dick Cheney as they're both of a similar age and political standing.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

damn ! thanks a lot, gonna have a look at this, I'm currently studying in Italy for a year, would be fun to have an Italian list as well !

Where, If I may ask?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

That and his movies weren't that good anymore. The quality decline he has suffered as a director is massive. Cry Macho and The Mule were terrible movies. Like if I was a studio head and I saw those two movies I wouldn't fund another. Don't get me wrong I think the movies he put out in the 2000s were great movies but in the last decade the quality has seriously declined.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

then take down Belafonte, Brooks, Van Dyke, Greenspan, Attenborough, Desmond Morris, LePen, Sandy Gall, Cleo Laine, Baxter, Chomsky, Tebbit, Kundera, Ackland, Treacher and Bucharach. None of them have real health issues and are on the list just because they're old. If Van Dyck has managed to be at n°1 this year and if Olivia de Havilland or Vera Lynn were able to be locked on the list from 89 to 103/4 yo, then maybe the committee don't care that much about illness. And in that case, I think Tippi Hedren should be on next year (dare I say she should be on it till she dies ?)

Some of them most certainly do have health issues.

7 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

we've seen plenty of nonagenarians without any illness on the list before, some of whom were hits (As recently as this year QEII, Godard, Estelle Harris, Sidney Poitier…)

Oh, come on.  We knew the Queen was in failing health, also Godard and Poiter.  I don't know about Estelle Harris.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tracy said:

The problem with adding Hedren is, as the recent "classic actress" poll showed, there are still a fair amount of 1930/1931 born actresses who still seem in solid health, including her. While she's worth the DL, there isn't much out there to suggest any of them over the other (outside of Woodward), so I can understand the reticence to pick just one or two.

Guys like Baxter, Attenborough, Brooks, Belafonte, etc. are at least into their mid-90s by now, and they're men, where you generally don't really expect extreme longevity because Kirk Douglas hogged all of it for himself.

There are extremely notable classic  actresses older than Hedren that the committee could go for such as : Glynis Johns , Eva Marie Saint , Joyce Randolph, June Lockhart , Lee Grant ,Gina Lollobrigida ,Estelle Parsons and Joan Plowright.

• Like 2

I'm very strongly opposed to Belafonte being dropped, I have seen a lot of people saying he should be dropped. He was already very frail two years ago:

And this year he was too ill to attend his 95th birthday gala.

On 09/10/2022 at 02:11, arghton said:

Well, here's my personal opinions

Drop (16 I consider less likely to die than the 25 others, 1 the one out of these the most likely to die, 16 the least in my personal opinion)

1. Stanley Baxter (97 next year but I haven't heard anything on his health yet)

2. Noam Chomsky (94 in December but no concrete evidence he's in ill health. Simply sounds and looks absolutely horrible and ancient)

3. Ted Kaczynski (I still don't completely believe him)

4. Denis Law (Mixed dementia and quite a 50/50, could be the wrong time to drop him but there are better picks)

5. Emperor Akihito (Past health issues and heart failure diagnosis this year but I doubt he's going anywhere anytime soon)

6. Dick Van Dyke (One of the healthiest 97-year-olds living, there are better picks)

7. Cleo Laine (Soon 95, but nobody has said anything about her health)

8. Desmond Morris (Forum users say he sounds fine, no known health issues. And looks good for his age in that video from May.)

9. Sandy Gall (See Morris. Seemingly a very healthy nonagenarian.)

10. David Crosby (health history and massive drug user, but if JLL is still alive Crosby probably has a few years in him. Seems to also have exaggerated his health a bit)

11. Jean-Marie Le Pen (Old asshole who survived a stroke this year, but in too good health otherwise)

12. Dick Cheney (Long long health history but now seems annoyingly healthy)

13. Linda Ronstadt (Ill but seemingly not as ill as previously thought and still physically doing quite well)

14. Shane MacGowan (You can't compare him to anyone, such an unique health history but just seems boringly stable)

15. Michael Gambon (Rumored dementia, but no concrete evidence of anything atleast yet)

16. Silvio Berlusconi (Not ill, seems like a wasted spot IMHO)

Return (8):

1. Linda Nolan: Terminal cancer and multiple cancelled gigs in recent months.

2. Benedict XVI: Massive health history and incredibly frail.

3. Pervez Musharraf: Reported in June to have terminal cardiac amyloidosis when he was gravely ill and on ventilator, wheelchairbound early this year. Seems to have stabilized somewhat (he's still alive) but needs an experimental drug to live. I would like to see him on the list of he makes it to 2023.

4. Joanne Woodward: Confirmed to have end-stage dementia, 92 years old now.

5. Liza Minnelli: Very damn frail with a health history.

6. Willie Nelson: Might look great currently, but has a long health history, emphysema etc and had a rough covid. And will be 90 next year. 

7. Ali Khamenei: Very debatable one but now 83, recent surgery, rumored cancer and now a risk of getting killed too!

8. Vanessa Redgrave: Emphysema and other problems. 

Some new possibilities

1. Rolf Harris: Won't survive, but if he does, should be put on the list.

2. Mahathir Mohamad: 98 next year, Asian political giant with serious heart problems.

3. George Alagiah: Cancer sufferer now with a tumor on his spine.

4. Sidney Cooke: 95-year-old  has been in frail health for ages

5. Manmohan Singh: Former Prime Minister of India. Suffers from serious heart problems and diabetes, I recall he was given ten years to live around 2010. Last year he was on his last legs with covid and dengue.

6. Constantine II: Greek King, tons of health problems over the years including strokes, heart attacks, pulmonary edema etc. Too ill to attend Queen Elizabeth II's funeral.

7. David Graham: Doctor Who legend. Severe stroke in 2021 and unable to leave his home. 

8. Giorgio Napolitano: Former Italian President, ancient and was in ICU following a surgery this year.

9. Winnie Ewing: Dementia, other health problems for years. People seem very suprised she's still alive.

10. Sonny Rollins: Jazz legend, 92 and has outlived the odds with pulmonary fibrosis.

11. Glynis Johns: Very quiet in recent years and has been in a nursing home for a longer time.

12. Topol: Advanced alzheimer's.

13. June Spencer: 103.

14. David Ogilvy Earl of Airlie: Frail and would be an interesting addition to the list. 

15. Katharine Jackson: Suprised she's still alive.

16. Frank Field: Cancer, was reported to be in hospice...last year.

17. Jiang Zemin: Arguable again but I bet on the toad having the ability to die.

I forgot to put the for-arguments for the 25 I'd keep on the list, so here they are. Angela Lansbury has died since I posted that, so #25 is now Stanley Baxter.

Keep

1. Leslie Phillips: Keep, strokes, seizures, cancer, incredibly frail his last public appearance (5 years ago) and a perennial forum "he's still alive?" name. 

2. Jimmy Carter: Also incredibly frail.

3. Rosalynn Carter: Very frail, declined a lot during the last few years like Jimmy. 

4. Henry Kissinger: 100 next year, obese and has a history of heart problems.

5. Nigel Starmer-Smith: Advanced fast frontotemporal dementia, bedbound, unable to walk or talk and at this point probably only fed liquid food. Suprised he's made it this far.

6. Alan Greenspan: Has according to forum posters not made appearances recently. He does not seem like someone who will just go quiet unless he's in declining health.

7. Bob Barker: 100 in 2023, history of cancers, strokes and was very frail the last time he made a public appearance. A recent article says he's doing fine-ish, but there's no recent images. 

8. Tony Bennett: 96 with Alzheimer's for years. 

9. Harry Belafonte: See video above, very frail and failed to attend 95th birthday gala. 

10. Mel Brooks: 97 next year and increasingly frail.

11. Sir Bobby Charlton: dementia, failed to attend events for years. A picture of him was posted in his thread in Feb 2021, but before that he apparently had failed to attend his brother's funeral. Could've been in (physically) good health back then, but probably has declined since.

12. David Attenborough: 97 next year. Should be on the list until he dies IMO. 

13. James Whale: As others have said, he has terminal cancer that has spread everywhere. 

14. Jerry Lee Lewis: Suffered a severe stroke a few years ago. 87 with decades of hard drug, alcohol use and smoking. Very frail and in unstable health.

15. Jacques Delors: Widowed in 2020. His wife's death was only announced after her funeral apparently due to his poor health condition. No idea what his actual condition is, but there are health rumors. And he'll be 98 next year.

16. Prunella Scales: Advanced dementia that however does not have seemed to affect her physical condition that much. However she is 90, and chances are that the decline will be very fast.

17. Burt Bacharach: Apparently in very frail health according to forum users. 

18. Milan Kundera: Terminal heart failure a few years ago. Former Czech president wished him a happy birthday in April in a message that sounded very grim, wished him "ease of being", and his wife is his caretaker.

19. Bill Treacher: Ataxia, 93 next year, obese and apparently fall-prone. Retired a decade ago. 

20. Norman Tebbit: In frail health around a year ago, seems to now be in sharply declining health. Was reported dependent on painkillers in March and resigned from the House of Lords.

21. Pele: Prior health issues and now colon cancer. Lost a ton of weight, and while he says he's doing much better now, I don't completely believe him.

22. Douglas Hurd: Stroke in 2009. Was unable to give interviews years ago. Seems to be very ill now and has been in a care home for years.

23. Marianne Faithfull: Plethora of health issues in the past including hepatitis C and breast cancer, heroin addiction, emphysema and her health was worsened by covid a lot and now near permanently on oxygen in a care home.

24. Joss Ackland: He looked very frail in that video from April 2020. Also obese and 95 next year.

25. Stanley Baxter, see above.

• Like 6

I very much agree @arghton with regards to Harry Belafonte.  He definitely should not be dropped.  Similarly with Loretta Lynn there were the beginnings before she died last week of some posters suggesting she should be dropped for 2023 and some suggested last year she should have been dropped for this year! That would have been such a needless miss if the committee had heeded that opinion. 

With regards to the rest of your post of keeps, many of them seem to be in such precarious health that I could easily envisage around 9 of them going before the end of the year.  

I know @Bibliogryphon believes it will be more like three and probably thinks that I am a bit mad but I really do reckon a bumper busy last quarter of the year is very possible. I mean we have had 6 hits in as many weeks!

Tebbit, Delors, Greenspan, Barker and Phillips seem especially vulnerable or likely 'hits' to me but time will tell!

• Like 2

I've got some shocking news from the future for you:

They're not going to drop Harry Belafonte.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Some of them most certainly do have health issues.

Oh, come on.  We knew the Queen was in failing health, also Godard and Poiter.  I don't know about Estelle Harris.

not that we knew about ! 

The queen was not ill ! she was in failing health as everyone mid 90's is. she could have last for a few more times. Godard was absolutely not ill ! he was only not seen in public for years. An Poitier I don't know about but I don't think he was known to be ill either. correct me if I'm wrong but these 4 were added just because they were old. Not even particularly frail as the queen was still quite active prior to her death and the other 3 were not seen in public for ages

I'm not saying they shouldn't have been added and I don't think the committee shouldn't pick old people just because of their age. On the contrary, I personally like old notable 90's celebs on the list because they have way more chances to die. But the thing is, you can't tell that you don't want to include some of them because they're not ill enough while the 4 of them died without being ill. The 4 of them were in the list because of their famousness and their age, nothing more. And I'm really fine with that !! 

• Like 1