Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2022

3 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

And you're still beating me! :D

Believe we're tied

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Believe we're tied

You're leading on the tiebreakers though so if I don't score you win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

You're leading on the tiebreakers though so if I don't score you win. 

Ah, probably my only path towards a victory as it seems my unique picks are all on the mend

Interestingly if I do make it round 3, my next opponent could come from another 0-0 matchup.

This round must be some kind of record in low average scores. I guess COVID is over for the Cup. But we still have 9 days.

Well speaking for my stupid team I’ve discovered two of my three sure bets will die before the end of summer but closer to that day than this.  I’m certain none of my team will die now and hold out hope for the highest hanging fruit of ‘political prisoner claiming late stage cancer’ as if.  
SC

Luang Pho Yai is dead now, died yesterday, according to that TikTokker. Needs to be picked up by media though.

• Like 2

How the hell is a Buddhist monk an acceptable pick? How is this not blatant FFBI?

4 hours ago, Banana said:

How the hell is a Buddhist monk an acceptable pick? How is this not blatant FFBI?

He is famous for being ancient, not ill...and has been a Tiktok celebrity for a month worldwide, borderline case for sure but I can't tell the difference between him and any other FFBOld

• Like 2

^^^this. Famous for Being Old has always been allowed in places where Famous for Being Ill haven't. I don't make the rules (well, I do but still).

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

^^^this. Famous for Being Old has always been allowed in places where Famous for Being Ill haven't. I don't make the rules (well, I do but still).

tbh the art of deadpooling started hundreds of years ago when learned philosophers in high society bet on who the next oldest codger they knew to die would be, and while we're more civilised nowadays (we don't bet money on death afaik), it would be harsh to remove the one remaining link to the grassroots of deadpooling's genesis. 

Or to be blunt (as the rule hasn't changed much since I put it in), people picking their 115 year old granny who is the oldest woman in Scunthorpe never bothered me much. People picking 20 year old mothers of two who got put on life support by a hit and run driver and die hours after the deadline for the round did.

• Like 3

Has anyone seen an English-language QO for Dagny C yet? Not an automated translated one.

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Has anyone seen an English-language QO for Dagny C yet? Not an automated translated one.

I have found this:
https://usdaynews.com/celebrities/celebrity-death/dagny-carlsson-death/amp/

• Like 1

Wikipedia has Vladimir Zhirinovsky listed as dead. If confirmed, this would be my first hit ever in Deathlist Cup competition. 2 other players picked him as well.

1 hour ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Wikipedia has Vladimir Zhirinovsky listed as dead. If confirmed, this would be my first hit ever in Deathlist Cup competition. 2 other players picked him as well.

Reuters have him listed as "alive" at the moment, but I think we're looking at hours rather than days.

21 minutes ago, YorkshireBanker said:

This, on the other hand, looks like I proper QO and I will update the standings when I get five mins.

In a month that hasn't seen much in the way of regular updates for deadpoolers, it seems strangely fitting that a key tie could be decided by the death of a blogger. Dagny Carlsson was a former seamstress who first started using a computer at the age of 99. Setting up a blog, she soon became a celebrity in her native Sweden and a pick for centenarian-chasers on the DDP for over a decade (putting Ivy Bean's lack of staying power to shame). Such was her fame she even hosted an episode of iconic Swedish radio show Sommar. Other recent Sommar hosts include Greta Thunberg and PewDiePie. YorkshireBanker steals ahead in their match with a unique hit and An Fear Baeg looks like making it two defeats in two rounds.

DeathByArsenic 0 vs Captain Hemlock 0

BabyBlue 4 vs Predictor 3

Banana 7 vs Masterffull 0

HDS 0 vs The Old Crem 0

YorkshireBanker 4 vs An Fear Baeg 3

maryportfuncity 3 vs Famous6Eva 0

Pop_Zeus 0 vs Perhaps 3

gcreptile 7 vs SpadeCooley 7

MariNisia 3 vs msc 9

Book 3 vs Sir Cunto 3

Grim Up North 3 vs Salmon Mousse 3

Bibliogryphon 0 vs Annami 6

CaptainChorizo 3 vs TQR 6

Sideik 6 vs alt obits guy 12

deadsox 0 vs Joey Russ 6

DevonDeathTrip 3 vs CalebH 0

Apparently we all missed the passing of Sir Cunto's joker, Tim Aldridge. Weird, as you'd have assumed the chaplain of a school in Taunton would have been front-page news. I would have rejected him as a pick in fairness, but some googling revealed his previous job was chaplain of Shebbear College, which is one of the most notable Methodist schools in the UK and was behind the original missionary drive to convert China to Christianity so... yeah, he scraped under the wire. Kudos to SC.

It's not completely dead for his opponent in this round Book though as I've decided this counts as a QO for Luang Pho Yai. KnowYourMeme might not be a 100% traditional news outlet but it does daily updates and employs "editors" and "writers". While some of its content is user-generated, the most recent edits to Yai's page were by a full-time employee of KYM. So Book and sideik claw back some ground in their ties and I've booked myself in to lose against gcreptile. Was I deliberately searching for a QO so I'd have more free time over the next week? Not for me to say.

DeathByArsenic 0 vs Captain Hemlock 0

BabyBlue 4 vs Predictor 3

Banana 7 vs Masterffull 0

HDS 0 vs The Old Crem 0

YorkshireBanker 4 vs An Fear Baeg 3

maryportfuncity 3 vs Famous6Eva 0

Pop_Zeus 0 vs Perhaps 3

gcreptile 10 vs SpadeCooley 7

MariNisia 3 vs msc 9

Book 6 vs Sir Cunto 11

Grim Up North 3 vs Salmon Mousse 3

Bibliogryphon 0 vs Annami 6

CaptainChorizo 3 vs TQR 6

Sideik 9 vs alt obits guy 12

deadsox 0 vs Joey Russ 6

DevonDeathTrip 3 vs CalebH 0

• Like 3

Ah, I saw that just a bit ago (at work...). Nice of you to do and a good final resolution for this extremely slow (barely happening) acknowledgement of his death. I was really hoping for a not-final day decision (George Perez is due just about any day now, but it might just as well happen on April 1st). That said, I was in Amsterdam in the last week, and will be busy today and tomorrow evening, so yeah, the road is likely to end anyway.

Edit: Your joker might still change things. Cant rule it out.

Just now, gcreptile said:

Ah, I saw that just a bit ago (at work...). Nice of you to do and a good final resolution for this extremely slow (barely happening) acknowledgement of his death. I was really hoping for a not-final day decision (George Perez is due just about any day now, but it might just as well happen on April 1st). That said, I was in Amsterdam in the last week, and will be busy today and tomorrow evening, so yeah, the road is likely to end anyway.

All roads lead to 4-0, imo.

I checked on my team 4 days ago and all were healthy as horses.  Aldridge included.  I’ll take it! 

Tentatively going to consider a team when I get a spare few moments, fully aware that Captain Cho may well be about to slam some last minute points in.

8 minutes ago, TQR said:

Tentatively going to consider a team when I get a spare few moments, fully aware that Captain Cho may well be about to slam some last minute points in.

You and me both, currently edging the very epitome of a dull second round slog. I'm tempted to call it lifeless but the problem is 21 players are still breathing. Vic Elford being the only early bath. 

• Like 1

I submitted an April list, in case I luck into the next round, but I'm not really enthused about this dead pool, to be honest.

@Perhaps Looks like your one solitary death will be enough to see off my team of ancient fartknockers. Good luck in the next round 

• Like 1