the_engineer

Volodymyr Zelenskyy

With Russia on the move to Kyiv will he do a Gaddafi or flee to Western Europe, possibly the UK?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Can he not go in the "Strictly...." thread being as he won the 2006 series of Ukraine's Dancing with the Stars?

• Haha 9

40 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

With Russia on the move to Kyiv will he do a Gaddafi or flee to Western Europe, possibly the UK?

Flee. Maybe to the Uk but Brussels is another possibility due it being NATO’s HQ. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the_engineer said:

Nah he won't flee I doubt.I get the sense he will go on until he is arrested killed or both.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

Nah he won't flee I doubt.I get the sense he will go on until he is arrested killed or both.

It was mentioned earlier today that Boris had offered London to him as a destination if he needed to flee. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

It was mentioned earlier today that Boris had offered London to him as a destination if he needed to flee. 

Talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place…

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Considering all the Russian money believed to be in London property (earning it the nickname "Londongrad"), that's the last place a Ukrainian politician, let alone the President, should be fleeing to.

• Like 1

Where hasn't there been a suspicious death with Russian connections lately?

The last one in Berlin was not so long ago.

Maybe depends how the Russians tackle Kyiv. A bunker buster would rob him of the opportunity for a heroic last stand. He does seem quite pugnacious. 

When you think about it, it is utterly surreal that a law graduate-cum-satirical TV comedian is in the position of leading their country through an existential war.

13 minutes ago, prussianblue said:

When you think about it, it is utterly surreal that a law graduate-cum-satirical TV comedian is in the position of leading their country through an existential war.

When you think about it, the UK and the US had Humpty Numpty and a big orange turd off of The Apprentice leading them through a ghastly pandemic so Ukraine are comparably in safe hands

• Like 2

https://news.sky.com/story/ukrainian-president-says-russia-has-made-him-target-number-one-as-he-orders-mass-mobilisation-to-combat-invasion-12550676

He's still in Kyiv and the fighting has reached there. Something tells me he'll stay.

Update from 45 mins ago. Who was the last European leader killed during office? Hitler?  Nicolae Ceaușescu and his wife? Though you could say they technically weren't in power anymore after being lined up against a wall and shot.

Screenshot_20220225-095459__01.jpg

33 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Update from 45 mins ago. Who was the last European leader killed during office? Hitler?  Nicolae Ceaușescu and his wife? Though you could say they technically weren't in power anymore after being lined up against a wall and shot.

Some say, the polish president Lech Kaczinski in the airplane crash.

Wikipedia says that it's Vazgen Sargsyan, prime minister of Armenia assissated by a terrorist in 1999:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heads_of_state_and_government_who_died_in_office#2000–present

Edit: Yeah, arghton is right, seems I was partially blind.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Serbian PM Zoran Đinđić in March 2003?

It's not that common but another one that springs to mind is Olof Palme, PM of Sweden, in 1986.

4 hours ago, arghton said:

Serbian PM Zoran Đinđić in March 2003?

Completely forgot about that.

Could be last time EU leaders see Ukrainian president alive, he's said on a video call last night.

Have to say if he pops up in London or France after this,then all this bluster will only harm his reputation and he'll look slightly foolish.

If he dies it's probably the biggest political death in a long while ,let's just hope it doesn't lead to a bigger escalation.

Screenshot_20220225-150639__01.jpg

Have to say of Zelensky is captured and brutally executed on camera do you think it could lead to Western intervention? 

He comes across as a nice guy and if he is beheaded ,flayed or burned alive ( russian army has done all these in the past) on camera I think the mood would change quickly. Russia aren't stupid though and I imagine he'd be captured, executed and his body taken to Russia and destroyed. We may never get a definitive answer if he's dead. Of course he might just flee and all this won't matter.

7 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Have to say of Zelensky is captured and brutally executed on camera do you think it could lead to Western intervention? 

He comes across as a nice guy and if he is beheaded ,flayed or burned alive ( russian army has done all these in the past) on camera I think the mood would change quickly. Russia aren't stupid though and I imagine he'd be captured, executed and his body taken to Russia and destroyed. We may never get a definitive answer if he's dead. Of course he might just flee and all this won't matter.

I doubt it. The You Gov poll of British people taken yesterday shows military intervention is pretty unpopular and I can’t see that changing no matter how depraved Russia go

Unless fact – every President of Ukraine is still living so if Zelenskyy or Poroshenko die in action, they'll be creating a new club.

Leonid Kravchuk (b. 1934) 1991–1994
Leonid Kuchma (b. 1938) 1994–2005
Viktor Yushchenko (b. 1954) 2005–2010
Viktor Yanukovych (b. 1950) 2010–2014
Oleksandr Turchynov (b. 1964) 2014
Petro Poroshenko (b. 1965) 2014–2019
Volodymyr Zelenskyy (b. 1978) 2019–

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I doubt it. The You Gov poll of British people taken yesterday shows military intervention is pretty unpopular and I can’t see that changing no matter how depraved Russia go

Though 43 U.S. lawmakers (both Democrats and Republicans) have written to Biden requesting troops on the ground.

Russia has been committing war crimes via the civilian population throughout the country. Brutal. I watched a video earlier of a Russian armored vehicle going out of its way to run over a civilian car driving on the other side of the road. Crushed.

Those that stay behind, government officials that is, will be killed. No doubt. Whether today or in a few years after being put into camps. It won't change the actions of the West, they are well aware that will happen. Why do you think the Ukrainian officials are willing to take up arms? They realize time is short for them....choosing to go out as heroes.

25 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Those that stay behind, government officials that is, will be killed. No doubt. Whether today or in a few years after being put into camps. It won't change the actions of the West, they are well aware that will happen. Why do you think the Ukrainian officials are willing to take up arms? They realize time is short for them....choosing to go out as heroes.

I'm not sure if they will stay behind. Afghanistani VP Amrullah "I will not flee or surrender under any circumstances" Saleh didn't. However if they do, godspeed. 

35 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Leonid Kravchuk (b. 1934) 1991–1994

He's currently recovering from a heart surgery he had in June 2021.

• Like 3