TQR

The Next Tory Leader

Who’ll Be The Next Tory Leader?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Interesting because  Angela  Lansburys  grandfather used to be the leader of the Labour Party.  In what way are Penny Mordaunt and Angela Lansbury related?

According to wiki her grandmother was Angela’s cousin. The daily Mail in 2014 actually said the link is through George Lansbury. Bound to come up through her leadership bid. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

That list makes me physically want to vomit. :puke:

No wonder Dacres papers have been licking Boris Johnsons bum with a peerage in the offing!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Good to see the Tory Civil War begins apace. #NeverRishi is currently trending on Twitter, with a combination of non-Tory posts, not-conservative-enough posts and pro-Boris posts. He's clearly got support within the parliamentary party. It will be interesting to see if there is a concerted effort against him from those who do not support him, so support someone else to deny him a place in the final 2. But if the membership are as pro-Boris as Twitter sometimes makes it appear (and I know Twitter is a unique microcosm and not necessarily representative) then if it comes down to a 'traitor' vs a 'loyalist' then that could play a significant part. Personally, I think Rishi is fairly easy to paint into a corner and the polish will very quickly come off when he's sat in the big chair with some restless backbenchers. There are far scarier names for Labour to face than Rishi Sunak.

Ben Wallace announcing he's not standing today was a surprise. Probably explains why he seems to be a great candidate, not craven or opportunistic, just someone doing a decent job of the one he's got amid the chaos. Where he throws his support would be very interesting, particularly if it's to someone like Tugendhat or Mordaunt.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10999311/Nadhim-Zahawi-investigation-HM-Revenue-Customs-tax-affairs.html

The strategic leaking of this story about Chancellor and leadership contender Nadhim Zahawi and his tax affairs also has team Johnsons fingerprints all over it.  Revenge  is in the air!

10 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10999311/Nadhim-Zahawi-investigation-HM-Revenue-Customs-tax-affairs.html

The strategic leaking of this story about Chancellor and leadership contender Nadhim Zahawi and his tax affairs also has team Johnsons fingerprints all over it.  Revenge  is in the air!

I saw on the BBC live text that on BBC Breakfast this morning, one of the Times Radio presenters said its already getting very ugly, even suggesting that some secrets about rival candidates are being passed to Labour to be leaked. Could be carnage, no UK party's as Macchiavellian as the Tories.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

I saw on the BBC live text that on BBC Breakfast this morning, one of the Times Radio presenters said its already getting very ugly, even suggesting that some secrets about rival candidates are being passed to Labour to be leaked. Could be carnage, no UK party's as Macchiavellian as the Tories.

Politics at its dirtiest. 

Let's hope they all manage to make each other unelectable.

Mordaunt first with 22% and Badenoch narrowly second ahead of Sunak and Tugendhat (all on 15%) in a poll of Tories working in communications.

Bookies give Sunak a 38% chance, Mordaunt 25% chance.

This list has been circulating on Twitter but not entirely sure of the veracity of it. Alleged that it is a secret whips list from 2019 but I am not sure they would ever have it in this format so it might be extrapolated from other sources

20220710_114016.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

This list has been circulating on Twitter but not entirely sure of the veracity of it. Alleged that it is a secret whips list from 2019 but I am not sure they would ever have it in this format so it might be extrapolated from other sources

20220710_114016.jpg

Liz Truss took it up the Kwasi?

31 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

20220710_114016.jpg

It’s the 2017 list that was leaked when Me Too exploded and Fallon and Pincher resigned. 

30 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Liz Truss took it up the Kwasi?

Amber Rudd had a fling with him as well. 

• Like 1

The one about Rory Stewart asking his researcher to do "odd things" is curiously non-specific, and was denied by both.

Unredacted for the first time. I can only assume by someone close to Kwasi Kwarteng to show off. :lol:

Shagging around should not be on a sleaze list next to sexual assault and NDAs, though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, msc said:

Shagging around should not be on a sleaze list next to sexual assault and NDAs, though.

Not if both parties are unattached.

Patel looks like she will stand going by how many are urging her to stand. 

Gove backs Badenoch. Must help her chance making the membership vote where she could well win. 

And now Jake Berry de facto head  of the Nothern Mp’s back Tugendhat which is another surprise.

30 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Gove backs Badenoch. Must help her chance making the membership vote where she could well win. 

Although Gove is a marmite figure and never did well in Leadership elections. Never made it to a members ballot though. Gove backing her isn`t surprising as their views are quite similar on many issues.

8 minutes ago, Sean said:

Although Gove is a marmite figure and never did well in Leadership elections. Never made it to a members ballot though. Gove backing her isn`t surprising as their views are quite similar on many issues.

And she won’t have the backing of any Boris loyalists because of that endorsement, Nadine has already  ‘corrected her’ on Twitter. 

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

And she won’t have the backing of any Boris loyalists because of that endorsement, Nadine has already  ‘corrected her’ on Twitter. 

Yeah but being corrected by Mad Nads is like being called beautiful by Stevie Wonder.

• Like 1

Rehman Christie has entered the race.

If Priti Patel and John Baron run that is 13.RIdiculous.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Rehman Christie has entered the race.

If Priti Patel and John Baron run that is 13.RIdiculous.

Ah yes, this fella. A neighbour who has since moved on once got all politically incorrect in describing the Gillingham MP as akin to a young Colin Firth after someone went apeshit spraying fake tan. 

Quite likely that the 1922 mob will tweak the rules to the point you can only "run" with 20 fellow MPs signed up supporting you. That might well run Christie off the metaphorical track before the starter's gun fires. 

KVOL3UTMTY15P5ERU3OI.jpg

• Haha 1

He has 0 endorsements

10 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

What do we reckon Grant  Shapps chances are? How much of a base does he have among tory mps?

I saw something a few weeks ago that suggested he had quite a bit of backbench support. Seen as a safe pair of hands, got some kudos for how he's dealt with the rail unions (impressive given he's done exactly nothing to deal with them). Personally, I think he looks like the ultimate used car salesman. And it's going to be interesting how he's going to portray himself as trustworthy given his past antics of pretending to be other people...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1